Finally, a cold and gale force windy night.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

I cleaned out the ash earlier and already have a couple locust and white oak splits picked out for the stove. Wind is really howling outside, snow squalls and blowing snow have visiblity down, and this is the first time this year that we REALLY needed to crank the stove up a little.......IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!

Same here. Being here in the woods with this wind can test a mans courage. Lots of widow makers about, too high up. Still the last of the heavy snow bands as well. I'm trying to burn down the coals a bit more preparing the stove for a good stuffing. This may be one of those night when I get up to repack too. Keep warm and be well

Backwoods said:
Same here. Being here in the woods with this wind can test a mans courage. Lots of widow makers about, too high up. Still the last of the heavy snow bands as well. I'm trying to burn down the coals a bit more preparing the stove for a good stuffing. This may be one of those night when I get up to repack too. Keep warm and be well
you too Backwoods. I have a mix of ash, oak, and beech on right now, as soon as the stove quiets down I'm puttin the locust and white oak on. Here's a video I took around a half hour ago of the secondaries working. Bear with me this is the first video I have ever uploaded to YouTube .....lol....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJu87I4spv8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Video uploaded perfectly and ur stove is running nice. videos something I need to try. The locust will sure pump out some btu's for awhile

Locust is da bomb.

Can't find any pellets designated as "locust", so we're burning a
hardwood blend. 4 maybe 5 °F outside at 7:55AM...Funny thing is
that there is more open water showing on the lake than there
was yesterday, when the temps were in the 30s...Crazy winter,
so far...

When we went to bed it was 9 degrees with a stiff wind. We don't have any premium stuff like locust, so I threw in a split of box elder and three ecobricks. It's now 19 and we're expecing winds up to 40mph. Revived the stove off of coals with driftwood and a random split of unknown type.

DASKY, seems weird hearing about open water this year. Not that this part of Ontario usually gets much ice, but we have none. Was looking forward to seeing some ice volcanos for our fist year up here and...nada. I've got nothin but summer pics and sunsets, I need some good winter stuff!

Daksy, crazy isn't the word for it....lol...I was watchin our local news last night, and the weather man was citing some statistics for this winter, and our area here in central PA has been up in at least the 30's during the day all but 5 days THIS WHOLE SEASON!! Last year, during Jan. and Feb. we didn't see 30 for probably all but maybe 10 days during those two months. I think WACKY suits the better description.....lol..

'Twas toasty in our cabin, but lots of folks lost power with the wind last night with temps in the mid teens. I'm so glad I don't need to worry about that, though I would have had to pile everybody in the living room. Considering the old creaky electric set-up here, we really only ever lose power if a tree falls on the lines. Wind, ice, no problemo.

Ironic that it was warmer in the house this am than a usual weekend morning, because I got up and fueled the fire. Usually I just let it go out and the house is in the low to mid 60's.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
'Twas toasty in our cabin, but lots of folks lost power with the wind last night with temps in the mid teens. I'm so glad I don't need to worry about that, though I would have had to pile everybody in the living room. Considering the old creaky electric set-up here, we really only ever lose power if a tree falls on the lines. Wind, ice, no problemo.

Ironic that it was warmer in the house this am than a usual weekend morning, because I got up and fueled the fire. Usually I just let it go out and the house is in the low to mid 60's.
I hear ya there Kathleen.....It is nice knowing that, with a woodstove, the weather AND power situation can go 'south' and you will still have a nice, cozy fire going in the woodstove. I'm waiting for that kind of situation to happen here in our area, as I have a lot of family in close proximity to our place. We've had some 'doosies' over the years in regards to winter power outages, some lasted for days. None in the past 6 years or so that I have been heating solely with wood, when that day comes I am sure I will have a house packed full of family members. I hope they bring their own food! ;-P

eclecticcottage said:
When we went to bed it was 9 degrees with a stiff wind. We don't have any premium stuff like locust, so I threw in a split of box elder and three ecobricks. It's now 19 and we're expecing winds up to 40mph. Revived the stove off of coals with driftwood and a random split of unknown type.

DASKY, seems weird hearing about open water this year. Not that this part of Ontario usually gets much ice, but we have none. Was looking forward to seeing some ice volcanos for our fist year up here and...nada. I've got nothin but summer pics and sunsets, I need some good winter stuff!

This is the lake (2nd Burden Lake in Averill Park) from about an hour ago...Temp is ALMOST 10°F...
View is from our deck, looking NNW...

Attachments

• 12 Feb.jpg
    12 Feb.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 155
Scotty Overkill said:
I cleaned out the ash earlier and already have a couple locust and white oak splits picked out for the stove. Wind is really howling outside, snow squalls and blowing snow have visiblity down, and this is the first time this year that we REALLY needed to crank the stove up a little.......IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!

Just getting some wind today, we had minus 4 last night at 12:00. Looks like Northern NY is missing out on the snow again.

zap

Currently around 25 here, winds still howling gusting to 35mph. We will be getting some lake effect snow this afternoon and evening with another couple inches expected. Low teens again tonight.

Looks like the groundhog is having a good chuckle and your stoves are getting some exercise. We're in the low 40s, dead calm, but cool enough for a nice fire.

If you think it is chilly here, look at Europe. They are getting hammered. Crazy weather even down to Africa. This is Tunisia.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/shauntanner/show.html?entrynum=195

Attachments

• tunisia.jpg
    tunisia.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 157
DAKSY said:
eclecticcottage said:

This is the lake (2nd Burden Lake in Averill Park) from about an hour ago...Temp is ALMOST 10°F...
View is from our deck, looking NNW...

Wow...pretty. Looks like you're right up on the water too. We were hoping for one that was closer to the shore, but with the erosion here I'd be afraid to be THAT close!

eclecticcottage said:
]Wow...pretty. Looks like you're right up on the water too. We were hoping for one that was closer to the shore, but with the erosion here I'd be afraid to be THAT close!

The pic is a tad deceptive.. The lake is about 35 feet from the house
& about 6 feet from the piers holding the lowermost of our decks...
That deck is about 10 feet above the surface of the water...The
erosion MAY get to those piers at sometime in the future, but not
on MY lifetime...

DAKSY said:
eclecticcottage said:
Wow...pretty. Looks like you're right up on the water too. We were hoping for one that was closer to the shore, but with the erosion here I'd be afraid to be THAT close!

The pic is a tad deceptive.. The lake is about 35 feet from the house
& about 6 feet from the piers holding the lowermost of our decks...
That deck is about 10 feet above the surface of the water...The
erosion MAY get to those piers at sometime in the future, but not
on MY lifetime...

Lol, We've lost a good foot this winter. I hate to see the yard sliding down the cliff....

Status
Not open for further replies.