Finally a few years ahead in wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtcates

Mar 1, 2010
Central NC
The long double stack in the picture is 8 cords. It was cut split by the end of January. I still have 3 cords under the shed left over from last year and about a cord of chunks. Thats 12 cords. I'm nearly 3 years ahead. Should I go for 5 years ahead or will it decay if left out? I guess I could sell a little if I got too far ahead.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 569
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 586
mtcates said:
The long double stack in the picture is 8 cords. It was cut split by the end of January. I still have 3 cords under the shed left over from last year and about a cord of chunks. Thats 12 cords. I'm nearly 3 years ahead. Should I go for 5 years ahead or will it decay if left out? I guess I could sell a little if I got too far ahead.

Nice job mtcates, I'm five years ahead and am thinking of selling one years worth. I'm not sure on the decay but Sav has been farther ahead and I don't think he had any problems.

Zap

Zap is right. We've been 7-8 years ahead with no problems at all. It sure gives one a great feeling to see the wood stacked up like that. Much better than money in the bank.

You could sell some. We do occasionally and sometimes give some away. It's good to help people out when someone has some problems. A few sales to help buy the gas helps too.

Very nice and neat plus huge stacks!

Ray

fyrwoodguy said:
if your that far ahead, i would go for the oak and never look back at the mixed hardwoods which tend to get too dry or rot!

If kept dry I doubt this would rot any hard wood or soft wood for that matter..

Ray

I would guess that about 50 to 60% of my wood is Oak of some variety and the rest is a mix of hickory, beech, maple and ash. I plan to let the wood dry with no cover and after about a year lay tin on the top. I have no plans at all of moving it to the shed. That's too much work when its fine where it is with a little tin on top.

Feels good eh?
If you enjoy cutting wood, GO for it.
Now you can do it on a manageable time schedule, "yours".
There seems to alway be a lull in life's schedule that comes along & you say, I need to cut some wood.
Now you can take some time, enjoy it every-time you walk by & look at the nice 3 yr stack.
But Backwood, N-of-60 & I learned, you never know what life will throw at you in the future.
If I was 5 years ahead & found a good wood source, I'd cut. But that's me. I enjoy the whole process. (just do it slower now)

By the way
NICE WORK!
Awsome stack!

Nice wood stacks there.

Better than money in the bank ;-)

Everyone's situation is unique. You're living in a somewhat forgiving climate, and not as driven by the winter's-coming pulse as some of us in the northern regions. Winter's coming there, but it thinks it over for a long, long time. As I recall, you've been hard at it getting a stove, getting your hearth rebuilt, getting through that first year, and are pretty well set up at this point. (Beautiful setup with the shed and the splitter, btw.)

I imagine that your question was directed towards the heavy-hitters here, but this is a question I've started to think about for myself, so I'm throwing my .02 in. I can see some merit in getting a few more years ahead, and that would probably be a fine goal for this summer. You've given yourself some breathing room now, and could ease back on the throttle without losing momentum. Something about being five years out is really appealing, and I think the way you have your stack built, you're not going to be in danger of losing wood to rot. Then it's just finding a rhythm, and taking advantage of the opportunities that come your way and yield maximum wood for minimum effort, and rotating your wood supply. Like folks have posted above, when you can pick the time, place, and weather, it's fun.

Three years is great, but five means that you can take a summer off if you feel like it, and even another if circumstances require it, without starting to look over your shoulder and get nervous. Three doesn't give you that luxury. But now woodcutting is in the `get-to' category instead of the `got-to' one. You're also free to bag it if you like, and head to the beach for the weekend, or up in to what North Carolinians like to call `the mountains', take a drive up the Parkway. You've worked really hard to get to this point, and will reap the benefits for as long as you're in that house. I think you're there--congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.