Finally back and arrived to a wood bonanza!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hey everyone! Just returned to NH after 2.5 months of catching bats in West By God Virginia! Trip went well - caught a lot of bats in northwest WV (Marshall, Wetzel, Marion, Harrison, etc. counties). When I arrived home, found a good load of red oak logs in the paddock, as well as a good number of beech and red maple logs still laying on my roadside following a utility crew cut. Looks like I'll be working up that wood during the next week or so. Should be close to a cord. Also, found out my neighbor across the street is moving, and she had already given me permission to take all of the downed trees from her property - there are about 10 trees total, mainly white birch and red/sugar maple, but also a few ash and red oak. Probably about 3 cord. My other neighbor has a tractor, and told be that if I limb and cut into 8' logs, he'll drag out to a staging area where I can buck. I need to get on that soon before the house sells (although in this climate, I probably have a couple years before it sells. Lastly, I still have about 3 cord to drop from my workplace before the end of the fall. So........about 7 cord or so to process - hopefully before the snow piles up. My other 20 cord c/s/s on the property are looking great - this year's 5 cord have been sitting now for nearly 3 years - can't wait to see how 3 year wood burns in the Mansfield. This years is a good mix of red oak, white ash, red maple, cherry, black and yellow birch, and beech. Should be fun! Hope you all had a great summer and put up a lot of wood! Cheers!

Bats? I thought folks tried to GET RID of bats - not traveled 1500 miles to COLLECT 'em. Who knew? :gulp: Wish I came home to wood laying all over my neighborhood (well, minus a natural disaster). Sounds awesome -- wish I had room for more than 2 1/2 years worth (9-10 cords).

Sounds like a great hunting trip. How do bats taste? Just kidding. You really have your work cut out for you. The good part about being ahead is that if you don't finish in time you will still be warm.

Bspring said:
Sounds like a great hunting trip. How do bats taste? Just kidding. You really have your work cut out for you. The good part about being ahead is that if you don't finish in time you will still be warm.

Absolutely Bspring - I'm 4 years ahead, so the only 'rush' I feel is due to my wood obsession and not wanting to let good wood escape my grasp! If worse comes to worse, I'll buck later, but I'd like to at least get the logs dragged from the neighbors property. And to clear things up.....I'm a bat biologist and was doing endangered species surveys for coal/gas developments - I've tried a lot of different game and non-game on the table, but never did try tasting bat........perhaps it's time........Cheers!

Sounds great NH Wood

I used to be afraid of bats and didn't like them. Now I think they are great and love watching them fly around. I've been planing on building some bat houses for my home and farm. And really need to get around to doing so.

Billy

Bats ROCK! That would be one heck of an experience. Was this work/school related or just for the fun of it?

fv

fireview2788 said:
Bats ROCK! That would be one heck of an experience. Was this work/school related or just for the fun of it?

fv

FV - I agree that bats ROCK! I've been studying bats for about 15 years - I'm a professor at a small university here in NH, but I do a lot of consulting work during the summer for extra $ - typically the work involves trying to determine if an endangered species of bat occurs within a development - typically coal, natural gas, wind turbines, etc. That said, I love what I do, so although it is work, it often feels like I am doing it for 'the fun of it' - I guess that's the best kind of work.......Cheers!

Bspring said:
Some bats rock. I will let our expert comment on this:
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/08/12/teen-dies-in-first-death-by-vampire-in-us/

I don't want to get bit by a vampire bat.

Yes, rabies is a concern, but typically a very low # of bats carry rabies. FWIW, more people die each year in the U.S. from domestic dogs (e.g. 34 people in 2010) than die from bat rabies (about 1 death per year, or 51 deaths over the past 56 years). I often joke with people worried about bat rabies that we should round up all the dogs in the country and have them killed, and worry about the bats later - they don't usually laugh. By the way, it is a joke - I like dogs. Okay, back to the wood! Cheers!

Hey, welcome back NH-WOOD. Glad you had a prosperous trip. Now it is time to get busy on that wood. Only 4 years ahead you need more....but don't hurry too much. Just think, you could have been cutting that wood during that terribly hot spell.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey, welcome back NH-WOOD. Glad you had a prosperous trip. Now it is time to get busy on that wood. Only 4 years ahead you need more....but don't hurry too much. Just think, you could have been cutting that wood during that terribly hot spell.

Thanks Dennis - I think I'll start the hard stuff in October, but the easy logs along my road I'll start real soon. My wife said we did have quite a hot spell here in NH while I was away, but nothing compared to where I was in WV - about a month of 90's and real humid - I'll take NH summers any day!! Cheers!

Speaking of bats, we were sitting outside with a fire in the chiminea around dusk the other night, and the wind shifted and blew the smoke towards our screen porch. All of a sudden one bat after another dropped out from a gap between the siding and the framing on the porch. At least 6 bats got an early start to their evening. It was on the south side, I guess they liked the warmth from the sun. I think we'll put up a bat house there next year, with all the mosquitoes here we can use all the bats we can get.

I am not a bat biologist or anything official, but have learned at our location in southern Missouri that we can keep bats around all year. I don't think there is anything for them to eat when the temperature is below insect flying ~ 50 °F. But they stay. They must be eating plenty when they can. The poop pile is deep most of the time.

We have a summer bat house and winter bat house. Both are located high on a south wall under a deep(7') roof projection. The houses get winter sun and no north or west wind. In summer, the houses get no sun and do get the south/southeast wind. I do not have the slightest idea why they like our place, but now they seem to be established.

I think it is because they have two different styles of house in a comfortable micro climate. When it is too hot in the spring or fall, they can sleep in the summer house. Or if it is too cold, they can sleep in the winter house. Sort of shoulder season adjustment to suit themselves. Or maybe the mothers and babies use the warmer house. I don't really know.

I like them so much that the planned greenhouse/atrium for that location is on permanent hold. I don't want to disturb the bats. When people ask why we have a two story gap(with door opening into space) in our front porch, I tell them it is a bat house. If they are not close enough to see the bat houses, they look at me like I am batty. It is an easy assumption to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.