Finally bought my stove. Need advice on floor protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrem1187

Aug 15, 2011
Indiana
I purchased an Avalon 796 stove for my log cabin. I have been going thru the manual checking clearances and have a couple of questions. First off with regards to floor protection the manual states non-combustible material with a minimum thickness of 26 gauge floor protection. What does that mean? I plan to build the hearth and want to be sure I'm meeting all requirements. I had planned on using 3/4 in plywood then 1/4 inch wonderboard topped with porcelain tile. Any suggestions?

26 gauge would be referring to metal thickness. Wonderboard and tile should be fine if it's only calling for a non-combustible material. Does this manual give you a recommend hearth size (how far it should extend around the stove)?

pen

I live close enough to a beautiful mountain river full of large flat rocks. One in front of both of my stoves. It protects the floor, stands up to any amount
of "uh oh" and I like the way it looks. So does Elroy, the house mutt. He goes to sleep with his head on the rock in front of the stove...

Status
Not open for further replies.