Finally buying a new (to me) stove BK from 2002 I think...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

project240

Nov 30, 2010
Alberta
I've been searching around for the past few months looking at larger stoves to heat our 2450 sq ft bungalow. We already have an Osburn 1800 insert, but that just doesn't cut it. I never thought I'd buy a Blaze King because truthfully I don't want to pay retail price and I've never seen any go up for sale used ever... that is until the other day. Found a guy 90 minutes away who has a Blaze King, Princess, that was manufactured in 2002. It took me awhile to figure out what stove he actually had since he doesn't own a camera and couldn't find any model numbers. Anyways, I found a few older manuals that I sent to him and he told me he thinks it is a Princess PEJ 1103 model.

Now, I've read many threads about using a cat stove and I love the extended burn times I've been reading about. What I don't know about is if there is anything specific I should be looking for when buying a used cat stove? I guess condition of the cat is a given, but anything else other than the usual stuff I'd be looking for?

Any other advice for hopefully a new BK owner? Approx price in good used condition for the stove alone?

Thanks. I'm going to see it tomorrow morning.

Nice! There's nothing specific to a cat stove to look for besides the cat's condition. Everything else is the same you would look for on a non-cat stove - stove condition, everything straight, gaskets, cracks, etc.

Do at least give the cat a good deep cleaning and a new gasket at minimum. Or, pop a new one in there...

What is your wood situation? How long seasoned and what types? Cat stoves like dryer wood than Secondary stoves. Or at least thats what I have gathered here.

Congrats on the find...How much are they asking? If you dont mind...

cmonSTART said:
Nice! There's nothing specific to a cat stove to look for besides the cat's condition. Everything else is the same you would look for on a non-cat stove - stove condition, everything straight, gaskets, cracks, etc.

Do at least give the cat a good deep cleaning and a new gasket at minimum. Or, pop a new one in there...

What is the best way to clean the cat? The one in this stove is original, but I've read 8-10 years before needing replacement... is this correct? Ballpark price on new cat?

DexterDay said:
What is your wood situation? How long seasoned and what types? Cat stoves like dryer wood than Secondary stoves. Or at least thats what I have gathered here.

Where I am we mostly have only softwoods available. When I got my insert last year I had bought some wood and immediately began searching for wood for this year. I've got about 3 cords of pine/spruce/poplar seasoned about 15 months and another 2-3 cords of softwood seasoned 9-12 months. My hardwood supply is pretty limited, but I do have about 1.5 cords of cherry/elm/maple seasoned about 9 months.

These people have the stove listed at $2000 including 18 ft of insulated 6" chimney, 5 ft of double wall and a few various fittings and elbows. After speaking with the gentleman, he said he'd be happy getting $1500. I'm thinking I might be able to get it for even a bit less than that.

I think a new Princess sells for about $3000 here, plus all the pipe, so I think it sounds like a pretty good package price... What do you think?

If you're really ambitious..

https://www.blazeking.com/PDF/manuals/en/wood/OM-KE PE E V1.10.pdf

..page 56 of the above manual is worth a read.

8 to 10 years is probably a good average for a cat which has been used properly. It's not unheard of for a 15 year old cat to still be working well. Abused cats may only last a couple years. Replacements from BK generally run $200 to $300 for a factory replacement.

project240 said:
DexterDay said:

Where I am we mostly have only softwoods available. When I got my insert last year I had bought some wood and immediately began searching for wood for this year. I've got about 3 cords of pine/spruce/poplar seasoned about 15 months and another 2-3 cords of softwood seasoned 9-12 months. My hardwood supply is pretty limited, but I do have about 1.5 cords of cherry/elm/maple seasoned about 9 months.

These people have the stove listed at $2000 including 18 ft of insulated 6" chimney, 5 ft of double wall and a few various fittings and elbows. After speaking with the gentleman, he said he'd be happy getting $1500. I'm thinking I might be able to get it for even a bit less than that.

I think a new Princess sells for about $3000 here, plus all the pipe, so I think it sounds like a pretty good package price... What do you think?

Sounds good. The cheaper the better.

I was unaware that you currently have an insert.. You can set a "Signature" up. Go to the top of the page and click on Your Control Panel. Then click on Signature on the left.

I thought you were starting from scratch. Blaze Kings are really good stoves. The amount of wood you have is probably enough for 2 lifetimes. They only require a face cord for an Alaskan Winter... LOL.

DexterDay said:
project240 said:
DexterDay said:

Sounds good. The cheaper the better.

I was unaware that you currently have an insert.. You can set a "Signature" up. Go to the top of the page and click on Your Control Panel. Then click on Signature on the left.

I thought you were starting from scratch. Blaze Kings are really good stoves. The amount of wood you have is probably enough for 2 lifetimes. They only require a face cord for an Alaskan Winter... LOL.

Thanks. I'll wait until tomorrow to set that up... hopefully with another stove to add to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.