Finally decided on the pellet stove...hearth question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DobieMom

Nov 28, 2010
Eastern Shore of MD
I've decide to go with the Quadra Fire Classic Bay 1200...will finally get that 'fireplace' I've always wanted :) Thanks for the chat Eric ;-)

I've searched the forums and have read about building a hearth pad til I think I've confused myself :red: I'll be installing on top of carpet using 3/4" plywood, 1/2" Wonderboard and porcelain tile. Do I need an 'air space' in my hearth pad or can this sit flush on the carpet? Thanks!

I don't see why you would need an airspace, just a non combustible surface which the wonder board and tile provide.

Unless I was planning on moving in the next 10 years and taking the stove with me, I'd cut a section of carpet out and set the pad in it. Just cut it out with a razor knife when you have the base done.

There's a snowball's chance in .... of your pellet stove ever causing a fire, but I'd fell better knowing there was no carpet under my stove.

My Setup:

No I didn't cut the bamboo out from under it. Carpet would have been diff.

Stove005.jpg

Thanks for the replies! If I had a bamboo floor that pretty I'd not be cutting it away either Scoop :) I'm doing a corner install and really don't want to cut out an almost 4' x 4' section and have to worry about retacking those edges, especially with dogs that get the 'zoomies' while playing/horsing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.