finally decided on what stove to buy!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdirks

Feb 5, 2011
sw kansas
Well guys I finally made my decision on what stove to get! I was between the Woodstock Fireview, PE Alderlea T5 and a Jotul 500 Oslo. And the winner is..... the Jotul!. I think that with some really cold weather and low wind chills the Fireview would struggle a bit at times. The T5 is a great stove and is somewhat comparable to the Jotul 500 Oslo. The price difference between the T5 and the Oslo were about $100 difference. This is $300 cheaper than the Fireview and it has more firepower. For me personally I think the Oslo has the edge on appearance although the PE is a great stove. Even though I am going with the Oslo I would still recommend any of the three stoves I mentioned.
The dealer I went to sells, Harman, Jotul, PE, and St. Croix stoves. He seems to be very honest and talked about the pros and cons of both the Jotul and the PE. He also told me to get my pipe measurements and he would help me design my chimney. His prices for a chimney sounded reasonable as well.

Congratulations! The Oslo is a great heater and a beautiful stove too.

Congrats, now get it, install it, break it in, and post some pics.

Shawn

If you look at the ratings page and read through the reviews you'll see very few complaints about the Oslo . . . a good choice . . . although as you say the other makes and models are also fine choices . . . in fact I went to look at the PE line up . . . but for some reason the PEs are not found as easy in this neck of the woods and the one place that carried them locally didn't have any on the showroom.

The real question that inquiring minds want to know though is . . . matte black, blue black finish or some other enamel color?

The Oslo is a very nice stove. I looked at one yesterday and it looked like it had a big firebox, was a stout stove and very easy on the eyes.

Good luck,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.