Finally done for this year!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andybaker

Feeling the Heat
Oct 31, 2008
Northwest OH
I thought I'd never say this. I don't want any more wood. I've never had this much before. This is the first year since I learned about seasoning wood that I got caught. Last year I got a lot of Oak, this year it is not ready. All I had other than that was some well seasoned White Ash but near enough to get through winter. So I started looking for just very dead trees. Wouldn't you know it, a huge Hickory was blown over almost within sight out the front of my house. I was offered it and couldn't turn it down. Now I had a ton of wood and almost all of it wasn't ready to burn this winter. So now my focus was dead Ash. I went over to the woods and took a good look. Yes, there was plenty there so I started gathering it. I took whatever was down and the oldest. It seems pretty dry. Whatever it is it'll have to work. Now this is what I have. 20 stacks, 8' deep, at least 5' or more high cut to an 18" width. That comes close to 10 cord of wood. I'm a little nervous having all this because I have a small yard, am in the city in a nice neighborhood. I don't want to start anything with the city. Anyway, what do you think?

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 787
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 796
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 767
Andy,

That looks great. Very neat stacks. It is clear to anyone who would see this that you have put a lot of effort into keeping it very neat. How much wood do you burn in a season? I think you may have a hard time getting some of that middle stuff to season in less than 12 months. Next year you may have to pull from the edges. Either way it looks great. Good work.

Thanks Kidd,
Yes that's a problem with not having much space to work with. Most of what's in the middle will be 2 years old by next winter. I have enough already for 2012/2013. Next year all I will have to be getting is some for the following year. I use about 4 cord a winter.

andybaker said:
I thought I'd never say this. I don't want any more wood. I've never had this much before. This is the first year since I learned about seasoning wood that I got caught. Last year I got a lot of Oak, this year it is not ready. All I had other than that was some well seasoned White Ash but near enough to get through winter. So I started looking for just very dead trees. Wouldn't you know it, a huge Hickory was blown over almost within sight out the front of my house. I was offered it and couldn't turn it down. Now I had a ton of wood and almost all of it wasn't ready to burn this winter. So now my focus was dead Ash. I went over to the woods and took a good look. Yes, there was plenty there so I started gathering it. I took whatever was down and the oldest. It seems pretty dry. Whatever it is it'll have to work. Now this is what I have. 20 stacks, 8' deep, at least 5' or more high cut to an 18" width. That comes close to 10 cord of wood. I'm a little nervous having all this because I have a small yard, am in the city in a nice neighborhood. I don't want to start anything with the city. Anyway, what do you think?

andybaker, nice job on getting ahead on your firewood.

zap

It is beautiful. How could anybody complain?

I think you may have a hard time getting some of that middle stuff to season in less than 12 months.

In the beginning I had wood stacked in a similar fashion. I did have a problem with a bit of rot and fungus.

KC

Very nice, neat stack of wood.

I think you have plenty of room for more. There's a big hole in front of those stacks that can probably double your storage capacity...and a tarp to hide it, even! :)

Very funny Peter. :lol: Another funny thing happened to me today. An old friend stopped by the bakery. I haven't seen him for a couple years now since he moved away. Guess he's back now. He has his tree service back up and running. He offered me this Locust that's been on one of his trucks in storage for the last couple of years and a big Oak he's dropping next week. I had to say no, I have no more room. Man this feels strange.

andybaker said:
Very funny Peter. :lol: Another funny thing happened to me today. An old friend stopped by the bakery. I haven't seen him for a couple years now since he moved away. Guess he's back now. He has his tree service back up and running. He offered me this Locust that's been on one of his trucks in storage for the last couple of years and a big Oak he's dropping next week. I had to say no, I have no more room. Man this feels strange.

Time to drain the pool! ;)

That must have hurt, turning down such good stuff.

Turning down wood. You sir, have a serious problem.

You might have to rotate those stacks just for something to do. LOL

Andy, we so wanted to stop on our way through but then, we wanted to stop at a lot of places and could not possibly do it all. As for your wood stacks, they are neat so nobody should complain. You are in good condition so enjoy the winter and the dollars you will be saving.

Thanks Dennis, for thinking of stopping anyway. I was wondering if you would stop in, I figured you came through when I was closed. I'm having one of those moments all small business men go through at times, when the bucks stops here and if it's going to get done, I'm going to do it or else all is lost. I never thought making baked goods could be more work than cutting that much wood.

I’m a little nervous having all this because I have a small yard, am in the city in a nice neighborhood. I don’t want to start anything with the city. Anyway, what do you think?
Well, I am a city inspector and if my city ever makes me cite one like yours, I will quit! Looks great. Really, I wouldn't quit. I would do what I have done more than once......work real hard to get the rules changed. And I have done that successfully more than once. Nice job!

I think you are correct....you have too much wood. Tell me when I can come by, and take a few cords off of your hands ..... no charge. :)

Neatly stacked wood like that does not equal blight. The only thing you could possibly do to be neater is have a fancy woodshed that matches your house etc. That would take a lot of years to cost justify.

Only a "hater" would complain. Beautiful job in a small space.

Hey guys, thanks a lot! I don't hear too many compliments about my wood pile. In fact, mostly what I hear is things like, "Got enough wood? Man that's a lot of wood! Do you know how long that would last me?" ect... My favorite, my son, "Dad, when I grow up, I'm going to have a furnace!" Makes me wonder, where did I go wrong. What is it with so many people today that can't respect the hard work of some one else, especially the kids. My own kid? I was nothing like that when I was young. I thought we were teaching them right. Somewhere along the way that message got lost I guess. I shrug it off, but I know deep down it bothers me. Hey, I'm getting a little philosophical here, sorry. My second hobby behind getting firewood is the observation of issues of sociology. Either way you look it, in all people there is an interesting story to be heard. Anyway, it's nice to hear you guys like the work I've done. That means a lot coming from those I consider the best there is.

andybaker said:
Hey guys, thanks a lot! I don't hear too many compliments about my wood pile. In fact, mostly what I hear is things like, "Got enough wood? Man that's a lot of wood! Do you know how long that would last me?" ect... My favorite, my son, "Dad, when I grow up, I'm going to have a furnace!" Makes me wonder, where did I go wrong. What is it with so many people today that can't respect the hard work of some one else, especially the kids. My own kid? I was nothing like that when I was young. I thought we were teaching them right. Somewhere along the way that message got lost I guess. I shrug it off, but I know deep down it bothers me. Hey, I'm getting a little philosophical here, sorry. My second hobby behind getting firewood is the observation of issues of sociology. Either way you look it, in all people there is an interesting story to be heard. Anyway, it's nice to hear you guys like the work I've done. That means a lot coming from those I consider the best there is.

Hey, don't let your son's words weigh on you. I don't know how old he is, but when I was young I said a lot of nonsense. Then, as I got older I viewed the thing my parents said and did much differently. I'm sure his perspective will mature as he gets older. Also it is not uncommon for kids to change their minds from day to day, so don't drive yourself too crazy. Your wood piles look fantastic and I'm sure this winter will be fantastic as far as wood burning goes.

You may find one day your son will share your passion for a warm house and a low heating bill. Looking forward, energy is not projected to become remarkably cheaper. It took me a number of years to talk my wife into a wood stove. I live in a nice neighborhood as well (but it is small) and try to keep my operation neat. I would like a nice shed personally but that is a lot of money.

Andy,Nice job! just curious you scrounge all that or did you have to layout some $?

That is a beautiful sight and alot of work. Was going to suggest a sign near the stacks "no cannon-balls this side of pool", but then I saw the slide...

Last year I did buy my first wood. I found a tree service that will deliver a load for $50. They will use a crane and drop it wher you want it. I got a load of Oak that ended up being well over 3 cords. Actually that was my problem this year. None of the Oak is ready to burn. I found through the years that all you have to do is learn how to be someone answer to ther problem. I found the owners of these woods near me. The Ash here have been thourghly wiped out and the woods are full of them. In the city kids tend to play in the woods. Dead trees tend to fall over. Falling trees on kids is not good. So I talked it over with them. Story has it, the year before they had to pay a service to come in and remove trees along the back end of the property because they were too close to the apartments parking lot. I reassured them I am able to remove the trees and respect their property. They let me go in. I have now cleared a path through there so I can pull in and cut, split and load right there. For kindling I found a guy that repairs pallets. Most people want the nice pieces to cut up. I ask him for the gargage pieces. He loads the trailer with a fork lift and I'll have enough for two years. Ttis saves him paying to have it dumped and I figure, why not, it's just for burning anyway.
I'm sure my sone will see someday. But for now, teenagers?

Sweet wood piles, Andy! I can not believe I read correctly that you turned down such darn good wood from a friend. I would have convinced myself by saying, "Well, he's my friend and friends are supposed to help out their friends, so I'll take the wood off his hands to show him how darn good a friend I can be." That works both for your conscience over how much room you have in your yard to devote to wood and to a possible wifely objections.

By the way, when I was growing up my dad would have me cutting and stacking wood. Lots of it. He also had me doing carpentry, concrete, painting, etc. One day he was bugging me to do some work. I wanted to go hang out with my friends. He was really peeved at me. He said something about how these skills were going to be helpful someday. I told him that I didn't want to do that kind of work that you do when I grow up. Even to this day when I think about that day, I feel really bad. The images are so vivid. I hurt his feelings. But I do all my own remodeling, repairs, etc. I'm getting back into burning wood. Just bought a log splitter and have been scavenging wood since last year in preparation for a new stove. Now I'm scavenging wood for next year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.