Finally Done with Wood processing for 2011!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
Took me all Summer but all my Black Locust, Sugar Maple, and a tad bit of Cherry is cut/split/stacked.

It was all dead standing and man was it hard....actually broke the splitter. (sheered a pin)

This year I did single stacks instead of double rows on pallets.Figured I'd mix it up a little?

The 3 rows of single stacks are from this years harvest. The stuff to the right has 2 years worth of seasoning and the wood I will be burning this year and next (3 years cut/split/stacked) is on the other side of the house. (not pictured)

I'm really glad this is done. :grrr:

My neighbor Terry really helped me out this year and he ended up with about 2 full cords himself for his BK Princess. He has at least 3 years worth of wood, with most of it being seasoned for 2 years.

This website & Backwoods Savage has made both of us firewood neurotic addicted fools...... :lol:

http://i56.tinypic.com/28s4rhf.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2wohmky.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/13zpr8h.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2ut1emc.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/sglc10.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/n2da9f.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/n4b8sk.jpg

That's a great feeling isn't it? Way ahead, good dry wood, & a warm home to enjoy even on the coldest of days. Great job!
+ 1 one the beauty of that property as well.

This website & Backwoods Savage has made both of us firewood neurotic addicted fools…...

One of the best lines I've read here yet.LOL Dennis you are certainly getting famous. A C

[quote author="Hiram Maxim" date="1314500813"]Took me all Summer but all my Black Locust, Sugar Maple, and a tad bit of Cherry is cut/split/stacked.

It was all dead standing and man was it hard....actually broke the splitter. (sheered a pin)

This year I did single stacks instead of double rows on pallets.Figured I'd mix it up a little?

The 3 rows of single stacks are from this years harvest. The stuff to the right has 2 years worth of seasoning and the wood I will be burning this year and next (3 years cut/split/stacked) is on the other side of the house. (not pictured)

I'm really glad this is done. :grrr:

My neighbor Terry really helped me out this year and he ended up with about 2 full cords himself for his BK Princess. He has at least 3 years worth of wood, with most of it being seasoned for 2 years.

This website & Backwoods Savage has made both of us firewood neurotic addicted fools...... :lol:

Nice job on your wood, don't blame it on the website, it's all Sav's fault.

zap

Good Job!

I'm so far behind right now. I have a couple heaps to stack, one ash tree to buck/split and another ash to split that is already bucked. I picked up a decent load of cherry from a buddy today that will sit on the trailer for a while. As soon as my back finishes healing up I have some work ahead of me. Not being able to do much since Feb. has taken it's toll. Good thing that wood is for 13-14 and possibly 14-15 depending on how much it all turns out to be once stacked.

Hiram you indeed have done lots of hard work. You'll soon enjoy the dividends. Nice looking stacks too and as Loco stated, you do have a nice place there. Perhaps some day if we get to your area we shall stop and say Hello.

rdust, you had best be taking it easy on that back!!!! You have enough wood ahead that you can afford to take it easy for a while and if you run low, I'll give you enough wood to carry you through; that is a promise.

AC, I might be famous for other things too! :)

Zap, you too have learned your lessons well. Now if I can just catch up to you we'll be fine.

rdust said:
Good Job!

I'm so far behind right now. I have a couple heaps to stack, one ash tree to buck/split and another ash to split that is already bucked. I picked up a decent load of cherry from a buddy today that will sit on the trailer for a while. As soon as my back finishes healing up I have some work ahead of me. Not being able to do much since Feb. has taken it's toll. Good thing that wood is for 13-14 and possibly 14-15 depending on how much it all turns out to be once stacked.

wow...13/14. that would be nice. maybe next year i can get 2-3 years ahead

Very Very Nice! Congrats

Nice. Good feeling when your that far ahead. Congrats.

Backwoods Savage said:
rdust, you had best be taking it easy on that back!!!! You have enough wood ahead that you can afford to take it easy for a while and if you run low, I'll give you enough wood to carry you through; that is a promise.

No worries Dennis! I'm taking it easy, I just played Foreman today. My dad and a buddy loaded up the trailer and cut a few pieces to manageable sizes so they could load them. It's nice having people around you who are willing to help.

I'm also done processing for 2011. Tomorrow I start on Jan. 2012's wood. :lol:

You've got some jumbo splits in there. Will one of those give you the legendary BKK three-day burn? :lol:

Seriously, great job! I'm hoping to get to your position by the end of this Winter. Three years ahead will be nice. I need to do that for three households, but each of us only burns about 2 cords a year.

Alright Hiram, Let me explain to you the many ways I envy you.

1. Your property is beautiful, and seemingly vast.
2. You have 3 years worth of wood that will surely be very well seasoned.
3. You have a BKK.
4. You have a wood burning neighbor who is your partner in burning lunacy.

That being said, are you burning in both the BKK and the 30 in your house?

onetracker said:
rdust said:
Good Job!

wow...13/14. that would be nice. maybe next year i can get 2-3 years ahead

Onetracker, if you ever get 3 years ahead on your wood supply you will then truly understand what a difference it makes for heating your home. Even if you cut some red oak, by the time you need to burn it, the 3 year period is up and you'll find a huge difference in the way that stuff burns. And as I've said all along, should something bad happen to you, like has with several forum members here, and you can't cut wood some year, you have a nice cushion and won't be worried about how you'll heat the house. You'll be all set. Again, the woodpile is better than money in the bank and pays great dividends.

Beautiful firewood and location.. A pile of dog poo would look good in that setting!

Ray

Sweet system Hiram. You have me thinking a dropoff zone might be the next evolution of my scrounging game.

Guys thanks for ALL the Compliments

Assuming I burn 3 full cords max every year with the new BK, This years harvest puts me at least 5-6 years ahead (still have to measure and calculate).....Thanks Dennis I'd love to have you over sometime if you make it down here.

Rdust what did you do to your back in Feb.? I can't wait to hear how the BK works for you!!!!!

Fat Kid, I have run the BK & the Englander together once to see what would happen on a very cold night.

With the BK turned all the way down and the Englander loaded all the way up and dampened all the way down it was Las Vegas in the Summer time....... :cheese:

I honestly will never do that again! But I had to at least try it.....

Cheers,Hiram

Pics of my other wood pile that was cut/split/stacked in Summer 2008, that I will be using this year and next (pics are from 2009)
http://i54.tinypic.com/24pz9eh.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/qs120m.jpg

Here is a Pic of my Neighbors BK Princess Insert.

http://i55.tinypic.com/112c47b.jpg

Hiram Maxim said:
Rdust what did you do to your back in Feb.? I can't wait to hear how the BK works for you!!!!!

Long story short I hurt it playing Lumber Jack and in Feb. I finished messing it up snowmobiling.(lifting the snowmobile while twisting) I herniated between the S1-L5 and also have spondylolisthesis(probably a birth defect) at that level. I had a microdiscectomy at the end of last moth for the herniated disk so I'm in the process of healing up from that. So far I'm progressing pretty good but it's hard not to do something "stupid" when you're feeling pretty good. I just have to keep reminding myself that even though it's feeling better it's still healing. Not sure if I'll completely recover at this point or not but I'm in better shape then I was before the surgery.

Yeah, I'm excited about the new stove, I hope to get it in the house in the next few weeks.

rdust said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Long story short I hurt it playing Lumber Jack and in Feb. I finished messing it up snowmobiling.(lifting the snowmobile while twisting) I herniated between the S1-L5 and also have spondylolisthesis(probably a birth defect) at that level. I had a micro at the end of last moth for the herniated disk so I'm in the process of healing up from that. So far I'm progressing pretty good but it's hard not to do something "stupid" when you're feeling pretty good. I just have to keep reminding myself that even though it's feeling better it's still healing. Not sure if I'll completely recover at this point or not but I'm in better shape then I was before the surgery.

Yeah, I'm excited about the new stove, I hope to get it in the house in the next few weeks.

Oh man I know the feeling......had L3/L4 discectomy/fusion in Feb 2008 and C5/C6 discectomy/fusion in 2010. Its hard as hell sitting around when you do feel good. Takes a good while to heal!

I'm better than I was pre surgery but I don't think I'll ever be same.

I have contemplated selling my splitter and buying my wood in the not so distant future or paying someone to split it like I did after my neck surgery.

Its hard on the body :shut:

The one nice thing is with the BK you will be splitting less because you will notice you make your splits much bigger!!! ;-)

Hope you continue to feel better.

Cheers,Hiram

Woody Stover said:
You've got some jumbo splits in there. Will one of those give you the legendary BKK three-day burn? :lol:

The BK really likes Jumbo splits!

But I also notice that you need a range of different size splits for packing the stoves fire box nice and full :)

Hiram Maxim said:
The BK really likes Jumbo splits!

How big you going Hiram? I started doing 10x10s with the Oak this week. Thinkin I should have 30+ lb splits in a few years.

Nice setup you have there Hiram, those big splits are going to be perfect for your BKK on those frigid mid winter nights.

Hiram
You turned into a wood junkie.
Great job.
Big splits in a BKK, yep they love it. I too have various sizes to fill in to get the long burn times. Stuff it full & it burns a long time.

5 years supply of wood, Very nice indeed. Bet it feels real good :)

Great job, Great pictures

I'll add to the compliment for this site & BKS (aka Dennis) + other members. They've improved my wood burning knowledge & effectiveness.

weatherguy said:
Nice setup you have there Hiram, those big splits are going to be perfect for your BKK on those frigid mid winter nights.

Thank you, Yeah these stoves seem to like the big stuff? :cheese:

bogydave said:
Hiram
You turned into a wood junkie.
Great job.
Big splits in a BKK, yep they love it. I too have various sizes to fill in to get the long burn times. Stuff it full & it burns a long time.

5 years supply of wood, Very nice indeed. Bet it feels real good :)

Great job, Great pictures

I'll add to the compliment for this site & BKS (aka Dennis) + other members. They've improved my wood burning knowledge & effectiveness.

Thx, Yup total junkie....It is a good feeling, and yes you definitely need a variety of sized splits. I even have real small 2x4 chunks to fill in the gaps .lol

Yeah, Dennis, Brother Bart,BeGreen,Fossil,S&W,North of 60 and Others have really made me a Wood Burning "RKI" (Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual) ;-)

Even if some have no taste in beer or live in the tropics. (Picking on BB)

Like most its a constant learning process......

I can't wait to hear RDust's results with his new BK and his premium fuel supply! It will be interesting to compare notes with him as he lives about 20 miles North of me!

Cheers,Hiram :)

Status
Not open for further replies.