Finally figured out what to do with some Aspen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
Usually I just drop them in the bush to rot but I had two huge trees in the middle of my yard so rather than carry it into the bush, I dumped it where I process my firewood. Since I won't burn it in the house I didn't know what I was going to do with it. I wanted to clean up my processing area to make room for another grapple load I plan to get in January.

Yesterday I was walking the dog and saw my impoverished neighbor receiving a couple of pickup loads of Pine. I figured if she'll burn Pine, maybe she'll burn Aspen so I asked her if she'd take it. She didn't have any way to move them and it would be too many trips with my little poly cart so I asked my other neighbor if he'd help her out. He brought over a big trailer with his quad and parked it next to my splitter.

I split up those two trees and she and I stacked them on the trailer. It filled the trailer and was so heavy the quad spun all fours trying to get it out of my yard. I know what to do with all my Aspen from now on.

Did a similar thing last year. The neighbor's brother took the tree from me (except they did everything after dropping it). He was grateful, and I was too.

pen

I need a neighbor like you. I know exactly which neighbor I would swap, too, lol...

pen said:
they did everything after dropping it
WOW. I wish I could get her to drop one of my trees. She was complaining that she has a bunch of dropped trees at her place and no way to buck/split it. Someone dropped off a few 3 foot rounds of Maple for her too but she couldn't split it. She was drooling all over my log splitter.

The wife's after me to drop a huge Aspen in my front yard that's half dead. I still need to move 4 cord of seasoned Ash into the woodshed this Fall to make room for another delivery.

pen said:
Did a similar thing last year. The neighbor's brother took the tree from me (except they did everything after dropping it). He was grateful, and I was too.

pen

I was a hero on two seperate occasions last year for "getting rid of" about 30 pickup loads of oak. Not exactly aspen, but same still applies.

LLigetfa said:
Usually I just drop them in the bush to rot but I had two huge trees in the middle of my yard so rather than carry it into the bush, I dumped it where I process my firewood. Since I won't burn it in the house I didn't know what I was going to do with it. I wanted to clean up my processing area to make room for another grapple load I plan to get in January.

Yesterday I was walking the dog and saw my impoverished neighbor receiving a couple of pickup loads of Pine. I figured if she'll burn Pine, maybe she'll burn Aspen so I asked her if she'd take it. She didn't have any way to move them and it would be too many trips with my little poly cart so I asked my other neighbor if he'd help her out. He brought over a big trailer with his quad and parked it next to my splitter.

I split up those two trees and she and I stacked them on the trailer. It filled the trailer and was so heavy the quad spun all fours trying to get it out of my yard. I know what to do with all my Aspen from now on.

Heating from the basement with the Lopi Liberty with Quaking Aspen, 77 in the basement and 73 upstairs.

zap

zapny said:
Heating from the basement with the Lopi Liberty with Quaking Aspen...
Obviously you didn't marry my wife. The ashes from burning Aspen is like fine talcum powder and settles on her Chip and Dale furniture. She doesn't like the smell of Aspen either.

Is Aspen the same as poplar?

weatherguy said:
Yep, and you'll hear some people call it popple, too.

weatherguy said:

Similar, but they are separate species. I think alot of people confuse the two &/or use one term or the other for both trees. Poplar is usually at much lower elevations than Aspen, Poplar tends to have much rougher gray bark than the smooth, white bark of Aspen. Aspen leaves also tend to be heart-shaped, whereas poplar leaves aren't.

Danno77 said:
I need a neighbor like you. I know exactly which neighbor I would swap, too, lol...

You've got one of them neighbors who you'd pay their moving expenses if they would just sell the house and find another place about 1000 miles away? Well, maybe not go that far with it, but I have one of them too. I also have some really amazing neighbors. "I'll watch they're place, they'll watch mine" sort of neighbors. "Here are some extra tomatos from my garden; oh thank you for the cake" kind of neighbors. The other day I was chatting with my neighbor about my plan to buy a blower mulcher to vacuum and mulch all these darn silver maple leaves that are in my yard. A few minutes later he brings one over saying, "No use in both us owning one of these. Use it whenever you like."

Mt Ski Bum said:
weatherguy said:

Similar, but they are separate species. I think alot of people confuse the two &/or use one term or the other for both trees. Poplar is usually at much lower elevations than Aspen, Poplar tends to have much rougher gray bark than the smooth, white bark of Aspen. Aspen leaves also tend to be heart-shaped, whereas poplar leaves aren't.

The Quaking Aspen I cut down for the neighbor is also known as Populus tremuloides.

pen

Our neighbor in Colorado (7,000 ft. elevation) burned nothing but aspen and had no other heat source. He got the aspen slabs free from a paneling factory, so all he had to do was back his trailer up to the yard, they dumped the scraps in, he took them home and dumped them, and put them in the stove. No cutting, splitting, stacking, or $$.

http://www.aspenwallwood.com/

Update: I remembered, after posting this, that they actually sell the scrap slabs and don't give them away. But it was a really cheap price and was just sold by the truckload. Saved the neighbor a lot of money in any case.

pen said:
The Quaking Aspen I cut down for the neighbor is also known as Populus tremuloides.
Ja, that's it. It has a greenish bark that develops a whitish chaulky surface. It can be so white that it's often mistaken for Birch. The small roundish leaves tremble in the lightest breeze.
Qaspen.jpg

Poverty is often about choices and not always circumstances. She has 25 acres of which the other neighbor logged off some market timber. She could have got him to set aside firewood for her. There has got to be enough standing dead wood and deadfalls that she could buck up with a swede saw if she doesn't have gas for her chainsaw. God helps those that help themselves.

LLigetfa said:
Poverty is often about choices and not always circumstances. She has 25 acres of which the other neighbor logged off some market timber. She could have got him to set aside firewood for her. There has got to be enough standing dead wood and deadfalls that she could buck up with a swede saw if she doesn't have gas for her chainsaw. God helps those that help themselves.

Hehe, and sometimes god helps them by giving them good neighbors!

pen

pen said:
Mt Ski Bum said:
weatherguy said:

pen

Sorry, guess I should have clarified- they are both "poplars", as are cottonwoods, as they are in the same family/genus/whatever, but refer to different "populus" trees- like Ponerosa Pine vs. Lodgepole Pine.

Most of the time, as least out here, "aspen" is used to refer to Quaking/Trembling Aspen, while "poplar" refers to trees with "poplar" in the name, such as Balsam Poplar or Lombardy Poplar. You could also use the general term "poplar" to refer to cottonwoods, as cottonwoods, poplars, & aspens are all part of "populus"

zapny said:
LLigetfa said:

Heating from the basement with the Lopi Liberty with Quaking Aspen, 77 in the basement and 73 upstairs.

zap

Me too . . . well I'm actually heating from the living room with a Jotul Oslo . . . but I'm burning poplar and the heat is cranking. Good stuff for the shoulder season.

Status
Not open for further replies.