Finally finished sweeping my chimney... Comments and question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Well, I finally finished my sweeping. As some may recall, I had tried pushing a brush up my chimney and had difficulty at the 30* bend and aborted my attempt a few months ago. Well, I took the advice of many here and ordered a soot eater. (two actually for the extra length of poles). I'm glad I did (both the basic soot eater and the extra poles). All in all it was very easy, worst part was attaching poles while standing on a ladder and trying to keep dust from totally covering myself and my drill. I almost wonder if I should invest in a cheap drill to do this with, but it's too late now I suppose... I don't think I even noticed when I hit the bends, it went right up. I did notice the dust falling - I had taped a bag around the clean-out and even had a plastic pipe (part of my vacuum actually) rigged in there to allow me to pass the poles through so their rotating wouldn't catch the plastic bag as I pushed them through. That seemed to work well as I'm sure the vast majority of the falling debris went into the bag - although some did find its way along the pole and onto the drill and my hands, arms, face, etc (I did have safety goggles on thank goodness).

End result - picture attached of what I collected in the bag. All seemed to be fluffy brown stuff. I had taken some out from my first attempt to clean but not nearly this much (not enough to even measure as I recall). This all came from the top of course.

Now the question - the picture of "in the pipe" is actually my horizontal section. Those with sharp eyes will notice two things (hopefully) - the 'scrapes' on the bottom are from my shop vac hose when I cleaned out the dust that was there, I did not actually run a brush or the soot eater through this section as frankly it was very clean to begin with. The question comes from that white bit on the right there - it appears to be right at the connection to the T (the clean out that is on the outside of the house) and although the picture doesn't really show it well, it looks a lot like fluffy white insulation to me from this side. My question is of course - anyone know what it is? and the follow-up "Should I be concerned and/or do anything about it?" Thanks in advance.

Other pictures - You can see my ladder and the bag tied to the bottom of the clean-out. Fun work site (and I'm sure OSHA wouldn't approve my my 'split' ladder leveling device eh?). Then I stuck on my after-cleaning important work - leaving for ride with kids. The pile of logs in background was a 'gift' from our recent storm courtesy of a local tree service - my first "use my house as a dumping ground" score.

Attachments

• CIMG3274.jpg
    CIMG3274.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 350
  • CIMG3273.jpg
    CIMG3273.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 348
  • CIMG3270.jpg
    CIMG3270.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 369
  • CIMG3275.jpg
    CIMG3275.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 349
Slow, that does not look to be anything serious at least what we can see in the pictures. You will have to be the better judge as you see it first hand. Nice to see a good clean flue though and you did a great job. Now, can you keep up with those kids? Does your wife ride too? Maybe I should bring my bike out so we all can go for a ride?!

Let's hope someone else chimes in on this thread.

I wonder if that white stuff is the insulation inside the tee and it's coming apart at the seam? Hard to tell, it also kind a looks like a reflection from the camera?

Todd said:
I wonder if that white stuff is the insulation inside the tee and it's coming apart at the seam? Hard to tell, it also kind a looks like a reflection from the camera?

So hard to get on the camera but it isn't an artifact as I took the picture to try and show it. I wondered if perhaps it could be from between the layers of the ClassA pipe... if this is the case, I assume it is a problem/risk that should be addressed.

The area in the 3rd pic looks like steel to me and not insulation. I can see some discoloration from the heat. Maybe one of the connections a little out of round? I'm not familiar with that type of chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.