Finally free of the ENGLANDER CURSE!!! New Harman on the way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tonyiiiafl

Nov 23, 2016
Cape Cod, MA
Last December, my Whitfield, being 17 years old finally quit, and I was not going to put anymore into it. It WAS a fine pellet burner to me. I went to Home Depot and bought the Englander Insert. WHAT A MISTAKE! It was very noisy, and would only let 1/2 the pellets flow from the hopper into the burn chutes before getting hung up and shut off. I called customer service MANY times, they had me :
1) sand the interior of the hopper to make it slippery
2) Wax the interior of the hopper
3) Spray paint the interior oft he hopper with clear plastic paint
4) Rub graphite on the interior of the hopper
5) use steel HVAC tape and cover the interior of the hopper with it to make it slippery.

NONE of this worked! That stove would not burn more than 5 hours without shutting off with over 1/2 hopper of pellets left! I made several calls and no avail. I am sad to say that Customer Service at Englander sucks! Then I saw an ad in the home Depot website that there is a one year return on ANYTHING that you have the receipt for at HD! (The tax would not be refunded if the product was returned after 90 days.) I called HD Customer Service and had NO problem getting a return authorization for this boat anchor. I returned it, got a credit within 3 days and am done with it.

I have decided to go with a Harman P35i, however, due to the size of my fireplace, need to use the smaller hopper of 47 LBS. Should not be a problem, since we are never gone more than 9 hours at a time.

Installation will be with a 4" liner up through the chimney rather than a direct vent.

Anyone else have any comments of this stove as I have 72 more hours to change my mind. Heating a 2 story Cape, which the Whitfield did a great job of using 3.5 tons of pellets a year.

Last edited:
Only have experience with the 52i and I loved it. Getting ready to install another one in the new house. Do you plan on installing a OAK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spell the name right before the H crowd starts lighting the fires:)

Changed title so now the heat will be only coming from the stove

Are we really that bad? No, were not! Enjoy your new stove. Hope it provides years of trouble free service.

Last December, my Whitfield, being 17 years old finally quit, and I was not going to put anymore into it. It WAS a fine pellet burner to me. I went to Home Depot and bought the Englander Insert. WHAT A MISTAKE! It was very noisy, and would only let 1/2 the pellets flow from the hopper into the burn chutes before getting hung up and shut off. I called customer service MANY times, they had me :
1) sand the interior of the hopper to make it slippery
2) Wax the interior of the hopper
3) Spray paint the interior oft he hopper with clear plastic paint
4) Rub graphite on the interior of the hopper
5) use steel HVAC tape and cover the interior of the hopper with it to make it slippery.

NONE of this worked! That stove would not burn more than 5 hours without shutting off with over 1/2 hopper of pellets left! I made several calls and no avail. I am sad to say that Customer Service at Englander sucks! Then I saw an ad in the home Depot website that there is a one year return on ANYTHING that you have the receipt for at HD! (The tax would not be refunded if the product was returned after 90 days.) I called HD Customer Service and had NO problem getting a return authorization for this boat anchor. I returned it, got a credit within 3 days and am done with it.

I have decided to go with a Harman P35i, however, due to the size of my fireplace, need to use the smaller hopper of 47 LBS. Should not be a problem, since we are never gone more than 9 hours at a time.

Installation will be with a 4" liner up through the chimney rather than a direct vent.

Anyone else have any comments of this stove as I have 72 more hours to change my mind. Heating a 2 story Cape, which the Whitfield did a great job of using 3.5 tons of pellets a year.

Of course we all know the Harman will make you happier but it had better since you have to cough up 3-4 times more dough for it.

Congrats on your new stove - enjoy!