Finally got back in the woods.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HJsimpson

Burning Hunk
Apr 17, 2011
NE Indiana
Well with the boys back in school i turned down some OT at work today to get back in the woods again. I was really hankering to get back out and getting some more cut. Was 63 degrees out when i started and the skeeters wasnt even bad but didnt take long to warm up. Also forgot how much stinging nettle hurts. I cut and loaded a truckload in about 3 hours since i have to wheelbarrow all of it out of the woods. Once again im not sure what kind of wood it is because of only a small amount of bark and no leaves. Any ideas? The one in the back splits like butta and has a little bark. The one in front splits hard and stringy like elm but doesnt look like the elm im used to which is almost white.

Attachments

• 2011-08-19_10-26-56_513.jpg
    2011-08-19_10-26-56_513.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 345
  • 2011-08-19_10-38-10_588.jpg
    2011-08-19_10-38-10_588.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 343
Here are some closer pics.

Attachments

• 2011-08-19_10-38-29_51.jpg
    2011-08-19_10-38-29_51.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 2011-08-19_10-38-35_445.jpg
    2011-08-19_10-38-35_445.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 337
The one on the left is definitely Ash, Dunno about the one on the right.

Thanks, thats what i was thinking and wishing it was. There is a lot of both of 2 types where im cutting. It splits so much better then the other does.

Yep, that looks like classic White Ash. The second one might be Elm. Yesterday I dove into the Wild Rose sticker bushes at a neighbor's, so I can relate to being punished by plants. The stuff I got was right on the edge of the woods, so the stickers were thicker. :shut:
Got a down Black Cherry and a dead standing Elm. The top half of Elm was around 16% and sounded good so that'll go on SIL's pile for burning this year. It looked just like yours. Most of the bark was gone, but the little that was remaining looked like Elm bark. Your split wood has that stringy Elm look to it. Mine also had pretty wide growth rings.

Thanks guys.
I burned a lot of the white colored elm the last 2 years and not the greatest but it burns and puts out heat. If it is elm it seems alot more dense and doesnt appear to go punky as fast. The property owner said its all been down at least two years and its still very solid. Im not able to be a wood snob yet so i use the "If it free its for me" method. Maybe in a year or two i can be a little more selective and turn down the cottonwood and willow :)

HJsimpson said:
Well with the boys back in school i turned down some OT at work today to get back in the woods again. I was really hankering to get back out and getting some more cut. Was 63 degrees out when i started and the skeeters wasnt even bad but didnt take long to warm up. Also forgot how much stinging nettle hurts. I cut and loaded a truckload in about 3 hours since i have to wheelbarrow all of it out of the woods. Once again im not sure what kind of wood it is because of only a small amount of bark and no leaves. Any ideas? The one in the back splits like butta and has a little bark. The one in front splits hard and stringy like elm but doesnt look like the elm im used to which is almost white.

HJsimpson, nice work and it looks like your ahead 2-3 years on your wood.

zap

HJsimpson said:
Thanks guys.
I burned a lot of the white colored elm the last 2 years and not the greatest but it burns and puts out heat. If it is elm it seems alot more dense and doesnt appear to go punky as fast. The property owner said its all been down at least two years and its still very solid
I haven't split any of the "Elm" I got...not really sure about that ID, though. Lots of species have that type of bark. The ends of the rounds look about the same color as your pics. One of the two trees had been down for a long time but was suspended off the ground. Most of the bark was gone. Like yours, there was almost no punk...solid wood. Stuff I split last year that I know was American Elm did have the white wood that you describe. The stuff I just got is dry and isn't particularly heavy. I've got semi-wood snob status, thanks to the fast-drying Ash and Cherry I've been picking up, so I'm not adding any of the red stuff to my stash. :smirk:

Thanks Zapny.
I have about 7 cord of so far but i burned close to 10 last year with our old smoke dragon furnace which is currently being replaced. I hope to get that usage down to around 5 or 6 cord a year which will make it easier to get ahead. Well at least use no more.
Woody,
Im kinda use to the elm because alot of people around here leave it behind for the better stuff. Im new to the area so i have to work my way up the list with the neighbors to get the first call instead of the final clean up guy.

HJ, that one could indeed be elm. That is how it splits after it has been dead for a while and the bark has fallen. Burns pretty good too; much better than it would had it been split when green.

Yeah thats ash and elm. Elm seems to split completely different when it's standing dead and barkless. 10 cords a year is alot of wood. I never really monitored our wood usage until the new furnace, but I'm sure we have burnt close to 8-10 cords with the old wood furnace. We dropped at least 2 cords replacing our furnace. Hopefully we drop another cord or more since insulating and air sealing. What kind of wood furnace did you have and what's replacing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.