Finally got her up to 500F

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Last night I decided to have a fire for no other reason than I could. I got her going and then put some logs on and let it go. I didn't mess with it much except when I damped it down too far, I like some flamage to watch, but other than that I just let her run on her own. I didn't watch the thermometer, didn't touch the damper, not a thing. I eventually got up to check and found that she was hovering nicely at 500F.

Until this point the highest I could get her was 450F but that wasn't every time. Yes, my wood is extremely dry actually grey 1/2" into the wood. It's a mix of stuff but I've been using a mix so far this year.

I think it's because I was messing with it too much instead of letting it run like she knows how to. As a rookie I am learning to trust my guts and let it go!

f v

fireview2788 said:
Last night I decided to have a fire for no other reason than I could. I got her going and then put some logs on and let it go. I didn't mess with it much except when I damped it down too far, I like some flamage to watch, but other than that I just let her run on her own. I didn't watch the thermometer, didn't touch the damper, not a thing. I eventually got up to check and found that she was hovering nicely at 500F.

Until this point the highest I could get her was 450F but that wasn't every time. Yes, my wood is extremely dry actually grey 1/2" into the wood. It's a mix of stuff but I've been using a mix so far this year.

I think it's because I was messing with it too much instead of letting it run like she knows how to. As a rookie I am learning to trust my guts and let it go!

f v

Very nice FV! There is a learning curve to every stove as no 2 installations are identical.. Wood burning is a science but also an art and with time you'll be a pro! Having good wood and it sounds like you do is the biggest piece of the puzzle and good draft goes a long ways too.. Time to post a fresh pic of that FV burning..

Ray

If it hasn't been that cold out for you (40 or colder) part of the problem getting it above 450 could be from weak draft. If that's the case, it will improve as we get into winter.

I'm on year 3 with my 30, and still learning the thing. I think if you had a dozen of the same stove hooked to a dozen different chimney's, that you find each had their own quirks.

pen

Funny you mention the draft, that was something else I noticed. When I would damp it too far I opened the damper full on and the flame came back pretty quick and I noticed that they were dancing faster than other burns. I was very happy to see that since it means I likely won't have a draft problem.

f v

Sounds great. I don't know what your outside temps are but you will likely find that as the temps drop it will get easier to hit higher temps (better draft).

As to your reason for burning "no other reason than I could" - I can't argue with that logic... I considered a fire this morning too but was afraid the wife would have me hauled away...

What number air setting did you have it on? Last night I had the Keystone up to 650 on a low cat burn around .8, got a little warm in here last night.

Todd said:
What number air setting did you have it on? Last night I had the Keystone up to 650 on a low cat burn around .8
Holy Kamoly! I've only burned a couple of nights so far. With the drier wood I've got this year, I hit 450 with the air virtually closed.

Like Todd, I have no problem getting to 650. Last night I didn't have much wood in the stove but it shot to 550 pretty fast. It got higher but short of 600.

The nice part is that when the stove top got to 400 I closed the draft to .75 and the flame lifted right off the wood and danced at the top of the stove. I love that rolling flame as it is a great show.

Still learning where that sweet spot is but last night I was able to get to about .75. When it was warmer I had to have it at 1 or slightly more.

f v

fv, I don't think you'll be able to go any lower than that. Keep experimenting as we gradually cool down. By Christmas you'll know a lot but then comes the real cold in January. Save your good wood for then.

Seems like most Woodstock owners burn around the same air settings. For me .75 is a good low burn where I see those lifting floating flames or just a red cat. #1 is a medium burn where there is good flame and a little more red in the coals. For a hot fire I may go up to #1.25 or even #1.5 for a bit before turning it down if I want quicker heat.

Thanks, I'm sure you're right with the setting. I'm burning chunks that I bring in from my stacks out back and have the good stuff already under tarp up by the house. Easy to walk further when the weather is sooooo nice. Thanks guys!

f v

I keep my Blaze King between the "a" on warner to straight up and down at most. The "normal" setting would be at 3 o clock, if I ran that stove there it would be 100* in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.