Finally got to go shopping for a new wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryT

Oct 27, 2010
SW Missouri
Well I was finally able to get out and look at some different brands of woodstoves. Looked at Jotul, Vermont Castings, Dutchwest and Osburn. I've pretty much made my mine up that I want a porcelin/enamel coated cast iron so that pretty much narrowed it down to the VC or Jotul. The VC I looked at was the Resolute Acclaim, non caty and sized right for my house which is roughly 1100 sq.ft. The price quoted was 2600 for the stove in Biscut enamel, 320.00 for the warming shelves and approx. 1500 for pipe and installation. Thats using Metal-Fab temp/guard chimney with aprox. 12 feet of SS double wall from the ceiling to the cap and standard black single wall with a heat shield inside the house up to the 8 foot ceiling. So roughly 4500 bucks which is about a grand more then I was hoping it would be. The Jotul I was referred to was the F400 Castine model with a price tag of 2589 in Ivory enamel. The pipe and installation added another aprox. 1500 bucks to the price and thats using Excel chimney system which the guy at the store told me was the best out there due to the way its welded on the inside and that the type of SS they use is much more resistant to creosote rot then the other brands out there. Not sure of that but thats what he said. Anyway, looks like I'll spend at least 4 grand and probably closer to 4500 once all is said and done which like I said earlier is more then I'd expected. Any ideas on ways to trim some expense without changing products? Thanks for any and all help. I'd thought about doing the install myself but the three places I looked quoted me roughly the same labor price of 400 bucks which is probably money well spent.

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your new stove, which ever you decide on. I have heard of people going from a VC to a Jotul ,but not many from a Jotul to a VC. I'm just sayin.

You mentioned that you would like to cust the price down some.

The Castine retails for 1850 or so in flat black. You're willing to spend 40% more for the Ivory enamel?

What type of install are you doing? Existing masonry fireplace?

Well.... some might say figure out how to do the install yourself, (but I wouldn't, cause I don't know how to do an install like that....)
But the only thing I can say is if you can get it done (or at least PAID FOR) ASAP, you can get 30% of the price of the stove,chimney, and install back at tax time, which would put you more in the category of what you want to spend. Might be pushing it to get the install done by then but you might be able to do it or at least prepay so your receipt will date to 2010. As far as we know the tax refunds on EPA stove installs won't extend into 2011.

I really like the clean look of the Ivory enamel so thats not debatable. The install is a standard 8 foot ceiling with aprox 6 foot of attic space and I'll need about 4 feet out the top as I'll be coming out about a foot or so below the peak and our code says 3 foot above peak.

Seems like a relativly simple install.

I imagine you could get the materials for 700 or so if you wanted to take on the project yourself.

If I was going to buy a Vermont Castings it would only be one with a catalyst. It seems as if the reviews of Everburn technology show that it leaves alot to be desired and is usually referred to as Neverburn. Good luck with the stove selection process!

certified made some great points.

The general consensus seems to be that VC cat stoves are good for moderate usage if well cared for, but can get expensive to maintain if you push them hard (24/7 only heat source). Non-cat VC seem to be a disaster.

Either way don't compromise which stove you want on the price, but you could look at a different chimney system. You want to save 1 grand off it, there are only a couple ways to do it. One is chimney and the other is stove.

Chimney, you can probably do it yourself if you're handy, mine took less than day to do it right including setup, cleanup, and a follow-up beverage. The price for the VC chimney seems high, and they're only using single-wall stovepipe. I would highly recommend you use double-wall, it's not that much more overall if you just have a straight vertical pipe (no elbows) and is, IMO, a much safer system. The install of my chimney was about $600 in parts, and my own labor so I guess I saved $400. I have double-wall Duravent to a 9' ceiling and then 9' Duravent Triple-Wall Class A out the top.

What about a hearth, do you already have one?

You could also see if the dealer has a demo model or used model of the stove you want to save some $, but you may lose the 30% tax credit I'm not sure. Are there options on the stove you can defer until later?

Or you could just lay your bottom line out to the dealer and ask him to meet it, let him/her figure out where they can help you out.

I sure hate to hear that about the VC non caty stoves. I really liked the looks of it. I dont have a hearth yet, not sure what I'm going to do for that. I dont much care for the generic look of the ones that the dealers had, I'd like something more unique or personal to the house. Its going into a corner area and I'm thinking of doing a stone backdrop with a builtup stone/granite floor for an old world look, something like I've seen in Italian resturants.

certified106 said:
If I was going to buy a Vermont Castings it would only be one with a catalyst. It seems as if the reviews of Everburn technology show that it leaves alot to be desired and is usually referred to as Neverburn. Good luck with the stove selection process!

I have a VC defiant non-cat. I love it. Long burns, heats my entire 2400 sf house. Accepts up to 25 inch length wood. The reviews I read before purchasing my stove said VC was having trouble with the catalytic stoves. I didn't want a catalytic filter anyway. Jotul has a better warranty I think 5 years as opposed to VC 1 year. Either company makes a good quality stove or else you could buy them for $600 to $900.

Not sure where you could save some money . . . perhaps by seeing what it would cost to just buy the materials and have a competent chimney sweep do the install . . . oh that and of course building your own hearth would save you some money.

As for VC vs. Jotul . . . well I am biased . . . I bought a Jotul. I'll try to be good this time and not sway you to one side or the other, but I might suggest you check out the ratings section here at hearth.com for the stoves you are most interested in purchasing . . . of course weighing in that some very good stoves will occasionally get a bad mark or the person may be criticizing the dealer or installer and not the stove . . . instead look at them all and see if you see any trends.

Good luck.

TAX CREDIT

jaytee,

I am sure that you've seen information about the 30% energy tax credit on eligible stoves. If you know that you'll have enough taxable income for 2010 that you could use the tax credit, this will help you out quite a bit. If you spent 4,000.00 on the Joutl F400 Castine + install your "actual cost" = $2,800 with the credit.

Only issue I see is that: IRS says that you must place the item in service during 2009 or 2010 to be eligible. So make sure the install is done soon if you want to comply with the IRS. Of course you could install it later and lie on the tax return - but if under audit you'd have to give the money back.

My first wood stove was a VC intreped bought in 1978 or there abouts. Great stove, I loved it. Bought a Yotul in 1998 Loved it too. Just bought a VC non cat Defiant and am breaking it in now (can't wait to really fire it up).

I have a VC Resolute but of the vintage 1985 when they were making good stoves, they changed hands a few times and I have heard not so good things. Jotul has GREAT reputation so I would go with Jotul and if and when I need a new wood stove it will be a Jotul, their reputation is GREAT, people love them etc and they have a better warranty. Their dealers are great as well, some sell both VC and Jotul.

My vote is for the Jotul.

Status
Not open for further replies.