Finally, Osburn up and burning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredo

Nov 24, 2011
Mi
Finally! Guys, she up and burning and she is a beauty. Installers left around 1 and I started up my stove around 1:30. My stack temp is slowly rising. At the moment it is a 100 degrees and slower climbing.

All the fire burning 101 classes that all ya kind folk at hearth have given me over the past few weeks is paying off and I really appreciate it.
I am burning oak right now and all is well.

Gotta tend to the fire folks and I will keep you posted. By the way,I smell the stove curing. Its not all that bad with windows open.

Fredo

No pics..... YOU LIE !!!!!!!

Fred, I'd suggest saving that oak until mid-winter when it is really cold. You'll want that for overnight burns. Congratulations on the stove!

It's 6:35 p.m and I am sitting back in my lazy boy next to a 200 degree, toasty fire. Sorry about the pics but I have to figure out how to reduce them/format them to download on hearth.com

My stove is in the curing process so I want to keep temps down for a couple days. I found out the hard way when I let temps reach 300 degrees earlier today. Smoke alarms went off because stove was to hot. Smoky fumes were radiating off top of stove so I choked stove down and within a few minutes I had her under control. At least I know smoke alarms work now and boy are they fricken loud!

Dennis, I burned a couple pieces of ash that I had delivered the other day and it did not sizzle or hiss. So maybe I can get away with burning it for the season? I only have 5 face cord of oak and that will not be enough to burn for winter season.

I had a couple of splits burning close to my stove door window and it kind of charred window. Once stove cures and I begin to burn at higher temps will this clean stove window?

I stil have a lot to learn but so far, so good, my friends...

Thanks
Fredo

The stove is a steel stove right? If so just burn away, every time you reach a new peak temp. you'll get the paint smell so you may as well take care of it all at once! :) My Lopi I burned a small fire with the door cracked so the door gasket wouldn't stick to the stove face, with my BK I burned it pretty hot(600 or so) right off the bat to cure the paint.

Yes, the glass should clean up once you burn it hotter.

You will soon learn that a 200 degree stove doesn't throw much heat! You will be craving the 550-650 temperature stove. No need to take two days to cure a stove. You should be able to do it within 3 fires. Each one getting a bit hotter. Open a couple windows near the stove and light a couple of candles. The smoke will clear out.

It is a very rare thing to have any ash sizzle, even when freshly cut. You will probably get black glass by burning it though as yours was freshly cut. Perhaps it may get better when you can run a hotter fire but realize this winter could be a bit of a struggle and next year you will be amazed at the difference good dry wood makes.

rdust, my stove dealer recommends to keep temps low for the first couple of days. He was pretty adimate about curing the stove with low temps. Plus, I would rather keep temps down while family is asleep so fumes don't stink them out. When I called Osburn Manufacturing concerning toxicity of curing process they assured me that it was safe but i find that hard to believe.

Rdust, where abouts in Michigan do you live? I live in Lapeer County. We might be neighbors?

Fredo

Backwoods savage, I will burn away tomorrow. As I stated to Rdust, the family is headed to bed soon and I don't want those fumes lingering in the house.

The oak that I have been burning is burning well. It is rock solid and burns forever, nice. I know that this first season is going to be a challenge but in the mean time I will take a day at a time and enjoy discovering the in's and out's of my stove.

Fredo

Fredo said:
Rdust, where abouts in Michigan do you live? I live in Lapeer County. We might be neighbors?

Fredo

Gotcha, probably best to follow their suggestions.

We're probably pretty close, I'm in Northeast Oakland County(East of Oxford).

Rdust! I live in imlay city and we are neighbors. Small world indeed.

Fredo

Congrats on the stove and hearth! Can't wait to hear the reviews as you learn the stove.

Thanks certified106. My family and I are enjoying a nice toasty fire as I email you. Stove heat so much more comfortable than Gas Furnace forced air...

Fredo

Fredo said:
Rdust! I live in imlay city and we are neighbors. Small world indeed.

Fredo

Yep not far at all, I have an uncle that lives right off Blacks Corners.

I still don't see the pictures.............................

Hogwildz! I am to obsessed with my new stove and can't seem to get my toasty butt off my lazy boy, nice... As soon as I figure out how to download pics I will download at hearth.com

Fredo

Rdust, my father-in-law lives at Newark and Summers Road! Wow, what a really small world my friend. I moved out to imlay city around 10 years ago. I was born and raised in St Clair Shores, Michigan and bailed out before the housing market crashed, thank God. I would rather raise my kids away from city and out in the country. Great schools, great people....

Fredo

Congrats!

I'd recommend the dollar bill test on the gasket when it cools down. I ran my Osburn for a few weeks before I realized the door was not set tight enough from the factory.

But, you are lying about the stove in the first place anyway ;-P

Cygnus, stove door is very tight when closed. I really have to torque down hard to open and close. How do you do the dollar bill test?

Pics are on the way...

Fredo

Fredo said:
I would rather raise my kids away from city and out in the country. Great schools, great people....

Fredo

I lived in Warren near 8 mile and Schoenherr till I was 12, my parents didn't want to raise their family in the city and moved us out to Romeo. Before we bought in Oxford I looked all over this area, Romeo, Washington, Almont, Lake Orion etc. Imlay City was just a little too far for my commute, we wanted to stay south of 69.

Rdust, back in the day, when the housing market was booming, Imlay city was the only area that I was able to afford. Well, 10 years later the kids are growing like weeds and I am beginning to shrink! Guess that happens after you turn 40?

Fredo

Rdust, I forgot to mention that my uncle joe lives on Bonnie by 11 and Hoover. My uncle Sam also lives in warren also.

Fredo

Fredo, Great choice on the Osburn unit ..which model did you get ...can't wait to see the pics. 3 small fires will draw and cure the paint then you are ready to go. using dry wood will deliver the best heat and a cleaner glass

Fredo, after a few long hot fires I had to tighten up the seal on my 2200. Since then it's settled in and exceeded expectations. My wife reluctantly went along with the idea of an insert--now she says it the best home improvement we've ever done!

We eagerly await some pictures of your setup!

Regards,
Greg

2ez, thanks and I purchased Osburn 2000 Model for my 1500 hundred square foot home. Since starting my first fire yesterday, I have had around 6 medium fires so far. My living space thermostate reads 73 degrees since yesterday and if I keep bedroom doors open stove keeps rooms warm.

Mind you, temps in Lapeer County Michigan are mild for December. It is 40 degrees outside today so running my stove really makes for a toasty time inside!

I also have a ceiling fan that is circulating ceiling air downward which is a plus. I have yet to get my stove temps 300 and beyond and this has sooted my stove glass door for now. I hope when I get this stove burning hotter later on today my stove will wash glass.

Little by little I am learning my stoves habits and it has been a pleasure so far...

Fredo

Status
Not open for further replies.