Finally pulled the Trigger on a Top Loader - Thanks for the great advice folks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget

Dec 29, 2008
North Carolina
Thanks to the recommendations and advice of many of the members here on the forum with the consideration of the Vermont Castings Defiant Cat, the Harman Oakwood, the Lopi Leyden and the Quadrafire Isle Royale, I concluded the Isle Royale had the most to offer given our requirements and preferences. My father and I went to see one at our closest dealer about 50 miles away. I didn't anticipate we would purchase that day, but lets just say the dealer was quite motivated to sell the floor model and we came home with it.

In short I selected the Isle Royale because I wanted a top load stove and I concluded from forum input that it was a plus to stay away from down draft, a refractory chamber and a catalytic converter if possible. It was all possible with the Quadra-fire Isle Royale.

Right now its just sitting while I wait for the chimney liner to come in but I can't wait to get it fired up.

Thanks to this forum and all the great members and their experience that make this a great place to learn.

Dang, I hope you enjoy it.

I just purchased mine as well and finally put it in. I have been burning 24/7 for the last 3 days. see my pictures under "Isle Royale Install" thread. I really like it and have learned a few things for top vs front loading in my experimental stages trying all the different avenues to see which and when. Let me know if you want me to explain what I have learned in mty trials!

Good choice and I think you will like it a LOT

Patrick

Seems to be a hot commodity these days, literally. Nice stove, hope your dad gets many years of good warmth from it.

Good choice! Wish I would have purchased a Quadrafire. I exchanged the Oakwood for a Regency because the fiberglass gaskets failed in the Oakwood after a year of use. The combustion package in the Oakwood and TL300 is very fragile and needs to be cleaned often to work properly. This morning the Regency still had a good bed of coals after a 9 hour burn, the Oakwood would require a restart after 9 hours.

Ever consider a Napoleon? I had way too many problems with a 1997 VC encore (newer models are probably better) but after two years with my Napoleon 1900 I have been very satisfied with the 12+ hour burn time.

What worries me about cast iron stoves is that the insides have to be replaced every so many years because of droop. Also that catalytic converters go out as well.

Just a thought.

HeatsTwice said:
Ever consider a Napoleon? I had way too many problems with a 1997 VC encore (newer models are probably better) but after two years with my Napoleon 1900 I have been very satisfied with the 12+ hour burn time.

What worries me about cast iron stoves is that the insides have to be replaced every so many years because of droop. Also that catalytic converters go out as well.

Just a thought.

What do you mean "droop". if its not overfired why would it do that?

As far as CATs go the new stainless steel cats are proving to be sweetness and 250$ every 8-10 years is OK by me.

HeatsTwice said:
Ever consider a Napoleon? I had way too many problems with a 1997 VC encore .........

No I did not consider Napoleon. Top Loading was a requirement.

You're not alone on having problems with the VC, that's one of the reasons I didn't select VC for this purchase.

Though I must say I am generally satisfied with my VC Resolute Acclaim. VC parts prices sure seem high. I'm going to need two arch fire bricks soon and it looks like they will run $120 each, ouch. If it needs a new refractory too at $400, I may just start over with a new stove. Maybe Jotul will come out with a top load this year.

Was your VC Encore a CAT or Everburn Down Draft?

hoverp said:
As far as CATs go the new stainless steel cats are proving to be sweetness and 250$ every 8-10 years is OK by me.

Which stoves are proving to be "sweet"? Are any of them Top Load?

Gadget said:
hoverp said:

Which stoves are proving to be "sweet"? Are any of them Top Load?

Well Im partial toBalze King !...But seriously the stainless steel CATs that Im talking about are available for most CAT stoves..Mine came with one and I like it better for non clogging and lower lightoff temps and Longevity.

I dont know of anytop load CAT stoves ...but I certainly dont know everything...not even close.

Sorry, I miss understood. I thought you had bought the VC Defiant.

> No I did not consider Napoleon. Top Loading was a requirement.

Yep. I love top loaders. Early in the morning, at my age, bending over to load a 25 lb split is a pain. One can compensate for this by placeing the stove on a pedastle but then you loose that much chimney run through the room.

But I have to admit every top loader I've seen has way more moving parts and special insulative materials all of which will fail over time - much more readily than a plain old front loader.

>VC parts prices sure seem high.

Yes my old boss is buying a Cat for his defiant for $350 (not $250) but maybe they don't make them for that model.

> What do you mean “droop”. if its not overfired why would it do that?

Thats why I like my Napoleon. The sweet spot of its operation is not so close to the performance red line (over fire). If you blinked on my VC Encore you would have what that company calls and over fire. That stove was the "wobbly gobblin" of stoves. Too much futzing around getting things just right only to turn around an hour later to readjust. Then the cat would just blow out, and then the throat hood would warp, then the gaskets would leak, then the front window would soot, then the inside plates would droop. I suppose, if I were an old lady only burning durring tea time with the other cougars, it would be just find. But having grown up in the Santa Cruze mountains around giant red woods, plentiful Oak, Madrone, and Doug Fir. I was used to just starting a fire and getting on with the other things I had to do.

The Napoleon is a "fire and forget" (no pun intended). That is, start a fire and fo' get about it. You really have to try to over fire the thing even with a 40lb load of splits filling er up.

So why did I buy the Encore? Answer: Wife had to have a red stove and in 2002 the ony ones that I could find where the VC. Also, found it used for $1200 in want adds. Also I did not know about this site. After the VC soured her on her own judgment, she lets me pick the stove, and even buys me chain saws. Next week she is buying me an ms 170 :), the down side is I have to prune all of the trees on my lot with it while on a latter.

Well the Vermont Castings CAT stoves are top load, but I don't know about the stainless steel part.

Are you saying the catalyst coating is being put on Stainless Steel in lieu of putting it on ceramic?

Congrats on your purchase. I think you'll be very happy. Love my stove. Heats my home well.

Status
Not open for further replies.