Finally pulled the trigger on the BLAZE KING ULTRA (king)!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After much research on which stove to pick between the Harman TL300 or the BLAZE KING, we bought the Blaze King. I really wanted to like the Harman but I was just nervous with a few of the design features. First, I was not convinced of the longevity of the upper loading being linked to the draft opening. The demo model at the dealer would stick open and then drop suddenly when lowering it. I was also concerned with 4 seals (upper dampener, upper load, front door, ash pan). Many people complained of the door seal sticking to the stove on the very first burn. And I was not confident in the afterburner and the quality of the build. The main reason we did not go with it was that I am not sure if the dealer selling them will be here in the future. They do not really have anyone knowledgeable and I was concerned when they could not get their floor model working properly. I had also heard of the stove warping and the upper lever failing so you could not even open the draft or the upper load. I loved the concept of the stove but lacked confidence in the quality. When I research products I really look for the negatives. I found quite a few with the Harman, but the only negatives I saw on the Blaze King is that it is ugly, and expensive. There were some concerns with the catalyst, but I never really saw any actual posts where they had failed. My favorite feature on the King is the thermostat. Why don't all stoves have that? Also, the dealer that sells these has the most amazing show room and has most of their stoves in operation and actually heats the building with wood (check them out at: http://www.thewoodway.com/). They have been in town for a long time and have just built this state of the art building. The people there are the smartest around (Justin has 6 years of college studying this stuff, who even knew you could do that?). They are sort of the rock stars of the wood burning crowd. So, I guess it came down to the confidence in the stove and the dealer. I need to know that if I have a problem, the dealer will be there to take care of it. We also opted for them to deliver and install it which the Harman dealer would not do. It should be installed this week (it is -45 today so I wish it was here now). My wife joked that it will probably get above zero the day we get it. I answered "Would that be a bad thing"? Anyway ZERO IS NOTHING TO US<G> (literally and figuratively). I will post a review of the King after we have burned it for awhile. Happy Burning!

Figured that is where you would end up. I believe that Blaze King is the state stove of Alaska. I will have to check the flag to see if there is one on it. :lol:

Enjoy that stove. It ain't furniture, it's heat.

great choice. going to love it. just make sure the wood is good.

Congrats I have read many positives on these stoves and your climate requires a serious heater.. This should fit the bill nicely and i like that thermostatic damper idea too...

Good Luck!

Ray

hotprinter said:
After much research on which stove to pick between the Harman TL300 or the BLAZE KING, we bought the Blaze King.

Congrats, I think that is the much much more functional choice. The more you use it, the better it will look. :)

To paraphrase the Black Eyed Peas, "Ugly... hot!"

EDIT: I agree that a thermostat is a great feature. My guess on why they're not more common is the difficulty in implementing one on an EPA stove, particularly a non-cat. A thermostat could dial the air back enough to kick a stove out of secondary combustion.

That said, some do manage it, and the new Woodstock is rumored to have one, so the feature is still getting attention.

After all the raves about them on Hearth, I would own nothing less if I lived up there where you are. Congrats and have fun with your new toy.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.