Finally some cold weather and I got to stretch the legs on my T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
I can not express how thrilled and happy I am that I upgraded to this stove after finally getting to uncage the beast with some cold weather the last few days :)! Yesterday the temps never really got over 28° and at 9 pm with the thermometer at 23° I loaded the stove up with as much 4 year old red oak as I could stuff in it onto a nice bed of coals and a stove top temp of about 350°. Didn't take but 15 minutes to have it shut down and secondaries firing beautifully so I sat there and stared at the fire until about 10:30 and went to bed. When the alarm went off this morning at about 6 am I rolled out of bed thinking man I better get the stove loaded up but when I rolled out of bed it struck me as very warm upstairs for as cold as I knew it was getting last night so I checked the thermometer in the bedroom and it was 69.8°. That immediately struck me as weird with my previous stove it would have been 62-65° upstairs. I went down and there was a huge thick bed of coals almost a 400° stove top and the blower was still going strong. At this point I am thrilled and floored as I am not used to having it this easy when it's around 15° outside. I opened up the stove to let the coals burn down a bit and reloaded at about 7 am on a nice bed of coals and went to work.

Today it never got over 24° all day and when I got home at 6:30 the house is 69.6 with a nice bed of coals in the stove. I am ecstatic with the T6 it is so much easier to heat the house with this thing it makes me wonder why I let my previous Dutchwest struggle for so long. I went ahead and threw 3 smallish splits on the coals and opened it up to burn the coal bed down really well and the stove is cruising with a 650° stove top and flue temps right around 500° and dropping. Should be packing the overnight load in this thing around 9:30 and calling it good for the day. I am thrilled with how easy it is to run in the shoulder season and how well it will heat when it really starts to get cold. I can honestly say I won't be worrying about how this thing will handle sub zero temps :cheese: . I have not had nearly the swing in house temps this year as I had with the Dutchwest since this stove will put off heat a lot longer than my Dutchwest would and the house temps don't drop nearly as quick.

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpg
    IMG_0902.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 279
  • Hearth.jpg
    Hearth.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 277
Nice! Waking up to a comfy house on a cold morning is very nice indeed. We are still not cold enough for hardwood. At 54F outside it sits idle. But at least I cleaned it up and it's ready to go.

Awesome! The PE stoves are on my short list of stoves I'd like to burn. A Summit just about ended up on my hearth, but a deal too good to pass up changed all that.

rdust said:
Awesome! The PE stoves are on my short list of stoves I'd like to burn. A Summit just about ended up on my hearth, but a deal too good to pass up changed all that.
Yeah I'm pretty happy with it at this point. I will be honest though I did look at a princess when I was in the market since we have a Blaze King dealer about 50 minutes away. I didn't think the princess looked bad however the King they had sitting there was a different story. Either way my wife wanted something "prettier" in her living room and we got a heck of a deal on the T6. I honestly would love to change out my stove every two years and try them all lol to bad I'm not rich

Sounds like bliss! Congrats certified, I love the look of that stove line and from the sounds of it the performance matches the appearance. Sounds like you hit a jackpot. What are the numbers btu and firebox size?

certified106 said:
Yeah I'm pretty happy with it at this point. I will be honest though I did look at a princess when I was in the market since we have a Blaze King dealer about 50 minutes away. I didn't think the princess looked bad however the King they had sitting there was a different story. Either way my wife wanted something "prettier" in her living room and we got a heck of a deal on the T6. I honestly would love to change out my stove every two years and try them all lol to bad I'm not rich

The BK stoves for sure aren't the pretties but most steel stoves are similar in looks imo.

I was just telling my wife tonight how by next year I'll be looking for the next stove that I want to "try". I like steel stoves but a lot of manufactures today are building steel stoves and wrapping them in something pretty so I may be swayed to try a "pretty" stove some day.

Same boat here, 25 going down into the teens. See if this stove can keep the burner off at least while its cookin. No overnight warm mornings goin on here.

Certified that's great. It feels so good to keep the house warm with that wood heat.

So last night was pretty much the same deal, loaded up the stove about 9pm got it going sat there and read Hearth.com for about an hour and went to bed. Made a slight mistake though last night and shut the air down to the point it gave me more coals than I would have liked this morning due to the two round I had in there. Reloaded the stove at 7am and with the blower still running on high and she was off to the races. Probably could have burned down coals for two hours though so tonight she will get a bit more primary air before retiring. When I got up the outdoor temp was 13° and the temp inside was 69° downstairs and 67° upstairs in the far bedroom (it was reading 70 and 68 when I went to bed). I am still puzzled but happy by how well the heat is flowing with the T6 at this point, with the Dutchwest the temps were a lot lower upstairs all the time and I have not changed a thing. There is not a single fan moving air in the house other than the blower on the stove which does move a lot more air than the previous stove blower. At this point I might have to take some blankets off of the bed upstairs. I am really happy with how well it is heating 2600 sq ft of house without having to push it hard.

VCBurner said:
Sounds like bliss! Congrats certified, I love the look of that stove line and from the sounds of it the performance matches the appearance. Sounds like you hit a jackpot. What are the numbers btu and firebox size?

Chris so far so good, dont' get me wrong I liked my XL Dutchwest but in this kind of weather it was minimum 3 loads per day and the house was cooler up stairs just because it was slightly undersized and on the cold night I stayed up late and got up early to keep it cranking. The PE T6 has a 3 cu ft box and says 99,000 btu per hour max output for whatever that is worth.

Sounds like the additional firebox room and bigger output were just what you needed to fight old man winter. Im a big fan of the sliding trivets and overall look of the Alderlea line. What a beautiful stove line indeed! PE hit a homerun with this line with the performance as well from the sounds of it. You went from the XL DW to the T6, raybonz went from the large CDW to the T5, both are experiencing an increase in heat this year! That is one thing about the DW that is a bit deceiving, the XL is really a large stove and the large cat is really a medium. They got that wrong,must have been a marketing technique. No smoke and mirrors with the Alderlea though, heh? Again, congrats, thanks for the info!
Burn on!
Chris

BTW, even my pellet stove struggled to heat the house last hight on heat setting 4 out of 5! Temps down to 5° outside with chills in the -13° range. This morning it was 66 dowmstairs (69 last night) where the stove is and the upstairs hallway was 63 (67 last nigh) the bathroom upstairs usually the coldest room was 59 the bathroom fan tends to let out some heat to the outside(it is off but the flap door opens with high winds). I didn't want to put it on 5 because it really crancks out the heat and I thought it would be too much. It goes through 4.5 lbs of pellets/hour on 5. Meaning a bag lasts just under 9 hours! I have not had to run it on 5 for long periods of time. What I need to do is set it to a programmable thermostat on high/low. Then it would go to 5 when the temp calls for it amd go to 1 when it says enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.