Finally...we got the new stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redhorse

Dec 22, 2010
South Central PA
Bessy, our old Baker wood/coal stove was put out to pasture today (after 25 years) and we got our new Harman TL300!

So, now I have some questions. First, we do not have a flu thermometer, but have a magnetic ChimGuard. Where is the best place
to put this -- the side? The top door? (We have double wall pipe so putting in on the stove pipe isn't really an option.)

Second, what temp should we be looking at getting the stove to before we close the bypass damper?

And lastly, we can't seem to get the secondary combustion to fire. I think it's not enough hot coals at this point...I'm wondering if anyone
has some pointers on getting the secondary to go. Aside from perhaps mucking up the stove a little, is there a problem with closing the
bypass damper and leaving it closed if secondary combustion doesn't occur?

We've called Harman and have gotten a couple different answers to these questions (particularly, the placement of the thermometer).
I'm just interested in what has worked for everyone here.

Thanks!

sorry to hear about Bessy...such a beautiful name.

sounds like your not getting it hot enough for the second burn. I know with my stove I need to be 450 -500 with a magnetic stove temp gauge (if it's accurate) to get a second burn and then what a light show...

Can't help with your other questions I don't know your stove...
md

Status
Not open for further replies.