Finally!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueflame75

Oct 1, 2009
Upstate NY
I am building my Woodshed after tarping my wood for two years ;( Here are few pics. Dimensions - 8'W x 20'L x 6'H.
Materials: 4x4 posts, 2x6 floor joists, 3/4" plywood for flooring, 2x6 band joist (floor frame OD), 2x4 studs, 1/2" x 2" perlins for exterior nailing base. My wood will be closed in due to the heavy snows in my area during the winter. The siding will be removeable during the warmer months for more air flow, and seasoning of the wood. I am using a roofing product from Lowe's called Ondura. It will used for the roof and all sides, and will be removeable. I will have plenty of pics coming. This particular product is built for roofs, but I think i can incorporate it into siding my woodshed. We'll see.

Here is the web link for the Ondura product.
http://www.ondura.com/smallprojects.asp

That looks and sounds like its gonna be a nice one...no more tarps is gonna be nice

If thats for wood then your going to want more support. 3000lbs a cord adds up fast.

smokinjay said:
If thats for wood then your going to want more support. 3000lbs a cord adds up fast.

I agree. by my math, that nice big shed will store 7.5 cords if stacked as tight as toothpicks. Like Jay said, 3K per cord...we are looking at over 20,000lbs of weight here. Not including the actual shed materials weight in addition (which, I know, is minimal). Thats alot of weight for 6 - 4x4 posts to hold up. Id consider putting posts every 5' instead of 10' on the front and rear plus an extra row down the middle (running the 20' length) as well. To me, its cheap insurance that its done right the first time.

All that aside, I am sooooo jealous. I need a 7 cord shed.

The extra supports will also reduce the span length on those 2x6s, reducing the chance they'll sag.

Remember, this project is far from done. All the floor joist have hangers (16"OC) with cross bracing. Header joist are achored with 1/2" anchor bolts through the 4x4's. The left end will be supported by another set of 4x4's or concrete blocks, depends on how much wood I put on that end. For now, only 3/4 of the shed will have wood in it. I will taking plenty of pics and will be posting them. Thanks for the comments all.

blueflame75 said:
Remember, this project is far from done. All the floor joist have hangers (16"OC) with cross bracing. Header joist are achored with 1/2" anchor bolts through the 4x4's. The left end will be supported by another set of 4x4's or concrete blocks, depends on how much wood I put on that end. For now, only 3/4 of the shed will have wood in it. I will taking plenty of pics and will be posting them. Thanks for the comments all.

Not dogging you, but the 2x6 even 12 inch on center probably still give up the ghost with 22,500 lbs in there. That's at-least a double deck-er hot tub set-up. Just need more ground contact.

I look forward to seeing this product from Lowes and the incorporation of it for removable siding.

Shawn

me too shawn

smokinjay said:
blueflame75 said:

Not dogging you, but the 2x6 even 12 inch on center probably still give up the ghost with 22,500 lbs in there. That's at-least a double deck-er hot tub set-up.

Well, since my Dad taught trades for 20yrs I'll take his advice and help on this project than anyone on this forum. The shed will not be filled to the gills like many of the sheds you see. So, I don't know where and how accurate the lbs. you are throwing around in this thread are, it's a little hard to believe IHO.

I love that back drop of pines. One day I am building a shed this size... I hope. Looks good

blueflame75 said:
smokinjay said:
blueflame75 said:

Not dogging you, but the 2x6 even 12 inch on center probably still give up the ghost with 22,500 lbs in there. That's at-least a double deck-er hot tub set-up.

Well, since my Dad taught trades for 20yrs I'll take his advice and help on this project than anyone on this forum. The shed will not be filled to the gills like many of the sheds you see. So, I don't know where and how accurate the lbs. you are throwing around in this thread are, it's a little hard to believe IHO.

lol, Sorry to up-set your prodject I know its a lot of work been there and still doing it. It all good. If your dads been in trades I can assure you he would never make a 8 foot run to support that much wait with a 2x6 and hangers. Even a hot tub set up framing is different on a deck. Always more ground contact. May not cave over night but given a few years and gravity will always win.

blueflame75 said:
smokinjay said:
blueflame75 said:

I believe they are using the standard weights for green wood, depending on the type of wood can be over 3,000 lbs per cord.

I also am not trying to dog your project. Like I said.....I really am jealous! I can post pics (from a diff pc) of a standard covered front porch deck 20' long on 16" centers with cross bracing using 2x8 joists, that pulled 4" away from the house in 5 months from just 2.5 cords of oak. I have also fixed a 10 x 10 deck from hot tub sag. This only had 380 gallons of water at 8lb / gallon=3040 lbs plus the hot tub shell and redwood case. It was on 16" centers, joist hangers, 2x8 rim boards and 8 posts. it only lasted 2 years. 2 posts in the middle wouldve prevented all of it.
We are just trying to help! Heres a link to the weights of wood...by type, with green and dry weights per cord.
http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/heating_cooling/firewood.html
HTH.

That's going to be a nice looking shed. I would like to build one similar next year. Keep us posted.

That will be a nice woodshed. I tend to overbuild things when I build them. I would add more support if it was me, being from upstate NY you may have to consider snowload too. Just some advice, not critsim.

Looks good, I like the idea of the removable sides for airflow in the warmer weather a lot. Looking forward to more updates as you progress.

A couple comments . . . I am not a structural engineer or even a carpenter . . . but I am a firm believer in over building things when doing so doesn't cost much more in time, money or labor . . . I have a raised woodshed due to the snow and I made sure about every 4 feet there was something underneath supporting the wall or floor stringer . . . just because there's a whole lot of weight in both wood and snow load where I live . . . and the only thing I hate doing more than carpentry (well besides plumbing, drywall, electrical and plumbing) is to do a job twice.

I might also take a closer look at the Ondura . . . it looks a lot like the product Onduline which was all the rage for awhile here in Maine . . . it goes up quick and is pretty tough for roofs, but over time it degraded and didn't reduce the snow load . . . more over, I'm not really sure this type of product would work well for constant removal as you mentioned . . . again, if it is like Onduline, it is almost like a heavy felt/asphalt shingle type of material that would tear or rip at the connection points over time -- especially if installed vertically.

Hey, it'll do a great job for keepin' the lawn mower and yard furniture, etc. under cover. After all, you've been tarping yer wood for two years and that worked fine, right? Plus, I bet it's been fun to build.

It sucks when this happens, you come on here with some proud pics of your project then members see 'oh-oh's'. I see them too but in any case like this you don't want to see anyone get hurt or property damaged.
On the joist run of 8', knowing what the the floor&roof; load will be I would also suggest 2x8 at 12"o.c. or 2x10 at 16"o.c. with rim joists the same. I believe the spans on the 4x4's may be ok however I think I would cross brace the left rear post. The 3/4" floor should be ok and I don't know enough about this roofing material. Good luck!

In regards to the Ondura roofing sheets I mentioned that I am using for siding. I am going to try and create some kind of channel that I can slide whole sheet/s through.

blueflame75 said:
In regards to the Ondura roofing sheets I mentioned that I am using for siding. I am going to try and create some kind of channel that I can slide whole sheet/s through.

Ah, I think I understand now . . . kind of have it set up so that there is a frame that you can slide the entire sheet through . . . this would probably work . . . I envisioned you hanging it off large hooks or bolts.

firefighterjake said:
blueflame75 said:

Ah, I think I understand now . . . kind of have it set up so that there is a frame that you can slide the entire sheet through . . . this would probably work . . . I envisioned you hanging it off large hooks or bolts.

Correct jake. It's to hard to explain it because it's in my head not on paper :)

Lol. This whole project is in my head and barely on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.