finding rockwool?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
i want to pack the cavity between liner and chimney (at bottom, stove end). I see references in the forum to rockwool? Where can i find it?

I am not sure that is the same as the ceramic blanket type that most people use....? They carry the ceramic at some hardware stores.

Rockwool is usually carried under the brand name Roxul and is sometimes carried under the product name "accoustical fire batts". It's a LOT cheaper than the ceramic stuff (Kaowool).

I got some at a place called "Wallboard Supply"- maybe there's a yellowpages category, or call and ask who your local distributor is:
http://www.roxul.com/commercial/products/roxul+afb®

Adios Pantalones said:
Rockwool is usually carried under the brand name Roxul and is sometimes carried under the product name "accoustical fire batts". It's a LOT cheaper than the ceramic stuff (Kaowool).

I got some at a place called "Wallboard Supply"- maybe there's a yellowpages category, or call and ask who your local distributor is:
http://www.roxul.com/commercial/products/roxul+afb®

+1 Any good insulation contracting company or some drywall supply houses. Also known as "fire stop insulation" by some trades people. Roxul is rockwool.

I got mine from a mechanical contractor supply house.

It can also be found on ebay.

Scott

Don't want to hijack the thread, but somebody gave me several feet of kaowool blanket - it's thick, like 3". What's the best way to cut this stuff and handle it? Should I wear a mask or anything when I do? I got it for a block off plate but might want to cut some off and put it up around the inside of the damper as a first step.

A good mask. Gloves, clothes you plan on shaking out while wearing a mask, then washing. Can use scissors, razor, etc.

I may be a bit overly cautious, but I'm prone to silicosis as it is, being a potter.

Some plumbing supply places also carry this product.

Status
Not open for further replies.