Finest Hearth in Maine - Chapter 7

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Place here in Louisville did the same thing, only one location, about the best knowledge wise of the shops around. People just walked up and found the doors locked.. some had stoves bought and paid for.. Don't know how that ever worked out. It's the shop where we saw our first Hearthstone, and would have bought there, just about exactly the time this happened. missed getting caught up in whatever mess it was by one weekend. Luckily we discovered a new(ish) shop only 15 minutes away.. been happy with them.

Dakotas Dad said:
Place here in Louisville did the same thing, only one location, about the best knowledge wise of the shops around. People just walked up and found the doors locked.. some had stoves bought and paid for.. Don't know how that ever worked out. It's the shop where we saw our first Hearthstone, and would have bought there, just about exactly the time this happened. missed getting caught up in whatever mess it was by one weekend. Luckily we discovered a new(ish) shop only 15 minutes away.. been happy with them.

would love to know what shop you found; I'm in the area with no knowledge. :)

Sad story when that happens. A similar story. I was hired by a shop on Long Island as sales manager in 1994. At the time they were doing about $600K per year. With planned steady growth over 13 years, we expanded to a 5 million dollar a year business. I decided to start a family and to NOT do it on Long Island. I left the job on good terms with my boss. After all, I bought him a house and put his two girls thru college, more or less. A year after I left I started getting calls from my old regular customers and vendors. One day the boss thru the keys to the new Manager, said he was done and vanished. A short time after the doors were locked. It was a very sad thing to hear. It hurts so much to see something you were a part of just vanish like that. Lots of folks with deposits got stuck, or so I hear.

brianbeech said:
Dakotas Dad said:

would love to know what shop you found; I'm in the area with no knowledge. :)

The shop we found is Churchman Stone and Stove, in Eastview Kentucky. Imagine our surprise that we were driving 45 miles north to shop for a stove, and then discovered we had a very nice shop only 15 minutes the other way..lol

I don't know where you are in southern Indiana, but in Jeffersontown is Olde Towne Chimney Sweeps, have not done business with them, but have been in the shop twice, and a favorable impression was had each time. A buddy of mine and I were just talking this morning, last weekend he was up in the AO of the shop that closed, and said it appears to be back open.. They did seem like good people, it's a shop to check out, no recommendation one way or the other from me, but I will try to get by there soon and see how it feels, it is Eastwood Stove Company (east side of Louisville).

This explains some thing I noticed about two or three weeks ago . . . the Finest Home and Hearth here in Bangor was McVety's Home and Hearth.

After checking out the website I guess I could say I may not have been the most observant person . . . apparently McVety's bought the business in mid-2010. I wish them luck.

http://www.mcvetyshearthandhome.com/Aboutus.html

The local news reported that they will be attempting to sell the business as a going entity. The Portland branch was closed with a moving sign at the beginning of the month, but the Yarmouth location was apparently running until the end. As usual there are people starting to report that they had stoves on order with downpayments made. The form claimed to be in depth for more than million dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.