Finished Englander 30 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IndianaTech

Jul 26, 2010
Southern Indiana
Just finished up installing my new stove this afternoon, and figured I would share a few pictures. Since it is not very cool here in Indiana today, I built a small fire to help cure the paint, and the stove is cooking along at about 425 degrees. This has been a huge project for me, and I am glad it is just about finished. I am still waiting on my mantel stone (Indiana limestone) to be cut to size, at the place I bought the rest of my materials. I can't wait for the cold weather to get here now !!! Please excuse the bad cell phone pictures, it was all I had :/

Finishedinstall.jpg

fire2.jpg

temp.jpg

I really, really like the hearth and surround . . . very nice job . . . love the rough cut look.

Very sharp install. I have always like the looks of a stone surround. Be good to that heater and feed it good chow, and it will be good to you.

Wow! That looks fantastic. Good luck with the stove. Love my Englander.

Thanks fellers, it was a lot of hard work for sure.... especially since I have never done any stone work before. My Wife, and I spent about a week hand fitting all the stone one by one to get it right. Besides the time we have in it, it didn't cost anymore then a prefabbed hearth would have been, plus we get the $1500 tax rebate from Uncle Sugar. I plan on feeding this baby nothing but the best......I have about 4 cords split, and stacked that have been on the racks since about mid summer, and also another face cord of some 2 year seasoned Beech. I am currently working on next years wood, and hit a huge fresh cut oak score from good ol' Craigslist, and have split, and stacked a cord of that with about another 3/4 cord in rounds waiting on me.

FreeBeech.jpg

That looks awesome !!

Good luck with it !!

Very, very nice. That is a good looking install. You'll have the windows open this winter. :lol:

Nice work!! I love that look.

That's a super nice looking installation Indiana. You've done well. Are the neighbors complaining about the heat yet? :)

The bad boy has never had a nicer place to work. You two done good!

BEAUTIFUL JOB! you will love that englander
just do yourself a favor and fire that up to 750 degrees with the windows open, and get that paint curing over with.

mainemaul said:
BEAUTIFUL JOB! you will love that englander
just do yourself a favor and fire that up to 750 degrees with the windows open, and get that paint curing over with.

Just do yourself a favor and disregard that advise. Six hundred will cure the stove just fine.

Great looking hearth Indianatech, should be time to start burning real soon . Looks like you're ready for winter.

You are set on all bases. Just fantastic to see a sharp job done right w/ a good stove and good wood.

Man you did one hell of a job!

That is beautiful. :)

Gotta' agree, that is an awesome hearth, and you put a 30 on it too!
What slabs are under the stove?
Now sit back and enjoy the show, and the heat. Bet you can't wait for winter!?

The hearth is made with a 2x4 frame, and 3/4 OSB covered in 2 layers of Micore 160, and 2 layers of Durock alternating layers with the Durock as the top surface. The stones are actually 2.75" cement pavers used for driveways, walkways, etc. I figure my R value to be about 3.2 so a little more then double what is called for by England Stove Co. And yes, I cannot wait for the colder months to get here now that were ready :)

Indiana, that looks great and it appears you also have some darned good fuel there. Congratulations.

Great job! I'm looking to do something similar in my living room using the same stove. Pavers seem to work well.

My Dad thinks I should look at pellet stoves. Not sure I want the noise next to the TV.

What made you decide to go with wood and that stove? Did you consider a pellet unit?

Thanks...David

Nope, never did consider a pellet stove, don't like the idea of having to buy my fuel, and store it indoors seems counter productive to me. I have a 120 acres of free fuel behind my house that just requires my time, and energy to harvest it. Do yourself a favor, and use the search function to find out why I picked the stove I bought.....

I will have to buy my wood ready to go...wish I had a source like you.

Wood runs from 175-225 a cord so far in my search...pellets are 215-240 a ton.

Been told my 1600 sf ranch would take 2-2.5 tons of pellets per winter...not sure about wood in the 30-NC.

Would your decision have been different if you had to buy wood?

Thanks...David

There is a ton of free wood on Craigslist as well. I look through there daily, and find people giving away free heat all the time. Here is a picture of some Oak I scored a few weeks back that split up to over a cord.......free

Oak.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.