Finished my portable woodbunks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chargerman

Feeling the Heat
Oct 22, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Finally got these finished up to store next years wood supply. I am tired of stacking, loading, and restacking my wood in the garage. The plan is to load these and leave them to season outside. Once needed I will just pull the whole bunk into the garage with rolling cart I built and my garden tractor.

The metal frames were salvaged as is from a local implement dealer's shipping crates, I painted them up with implement enamel, and then built the wood floors and sides. I got seven of them built this year. They are a little over 7' long, about 40" wide, and 5' tall racks. Enough to hold approximately 0.9 cord cutting my normal 18-20" firewood.

They vary somewhat depending on what equipment was in them. I left the bracing bars in them in order to keep the strength and in order to go higher up with the wooden sides.

Hopefully they will work well and I should be finding out pretty quick. Total cost was under $400 for everything.

Attachments

• woodbunks (800x600).jpg
    woodbunks (800x600).jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 766
  • woodbunks2 (800x600).jpg
    woodbunks2 (800x600).jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 772
  • woodbunks3 (800x600).jpg
    woodbunks3 (800x600).jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 748
Reactions: benny.qoda
Well.....

A full cord of seasoned (20%) oak weighs 3,910 lbs. Similarly, pine weighs 2,125 lbs.

What size is your garden tractor?

Are you planning on parking/pulling these on a hard surface?

I have a large parking area of sorts at my place so it is a hard paved surface. My garden tractor is an Ingersoll 4020 high wheel. It pulled my 5000#+ truck into the shop up an incline so not really worried about that.

Nice chargerman. Let us know how they work out.

Pull a load right up next to the door near the stove.
A tarp cover. Good idea.
When will they be full?
Good job.

Just hope someone doesn't unlock the brakes and roll them on down the road!

pen

So you have enough carts for each unit? Neat idea! Cheers!

Great idea Chargerman.

Thanks guys, it took some work to build them. It should save lots of time in the future though.

NH_Wood said:

I am just using one cart. The plan is to just block the bunk up when I need it and roll the cart under.

Chargerman said:
NH_Wood said:

I am just using one cart. The plan is to just block the bunk up when I need it and roll the cart under.

Nice!

Now that's the way to do it. Will save a lot of handling.
One question though, when you roll the cart under the full rack of wood how will you lower rack onto roller?
I may have access to several of these type racks/bunks from a sawmill so your "cart" idea may be the ticket.

I have something similar but on a much smaller scale. I have a couple of small "haulers" I built that I load from wood pile and then can wheel them directly into house (ground floor upper basement with patio door) to wood burner, so at least don't have to restack wood in house.

Fins59 said:
One question though, when you roll the cart under the full rack of wood how will you lower rack onto roller?

I am going to be using cement blocks or 6 x 6 wood blocks about a foot long under all 4 corners of the bunks while they are in storage. This will keep the metal off the ground and allow more air circulation underneath. When it comes time to use the cart I will temporarily raise each end of the bunk using my automotive floor jack and add more blocking to just clear the cart. There are metal feet on each corner of the frame that I will put the blocking under. I will probably raise each end up a couple inches at a time until the proper height is reached vs raising it all at once. When the cart is in place each end will be lowered back onto the cart.

I just started loading one bunk today on the cart for a test run. Since it was a test I purposely loaded one side of the bunk to over 4 feet and left the opposite side completely empty. The balance is good and with it half full I can still move it by hand. Probably will get much harder when full but overall it seems to be working fine. I will post the results, good or bad.

Yeah I kinda had floor jacks in mind too when I asked that question. Two jacks - one on each end would probably work really well. IMO though, those darn jacks are too heavy to lug around. Right now I have one 3 1/2 ton floor jack and that sucker is heavy. I have 2 garages and often have to lug that jack back and forth. I'm going to get another one so no more lugging back and forth. As for those 6x6 blocks, if you have a saw mill near you, check there. I get blocks 8x8, 9x9, 10x10, etc. along with the wood I buy. They're so nice that I hate splitting them, but I keep a bunch of extras on hand for various jobs.

Does your Power Wagon (in your signature) have a winch? Maybe build a tripod and put pulley on top and raise like that.
(This past July at the Iola Car Show and Swap Meet, there was a nice Power Wagon there on display under the theme tent. I think it was a bit older though, maybe late '60's.)

Make sure you dont leave a loaded rack on those wheels, they will sink in the mud or sink in your paved driveway.

I'll add this too - if there is even the lightest dusting of snow on the ground and it gets on your wheels, the wheels will refuse to turn. Just like putting rocks in front of them - very frustrating (been there...).

Also, maybe keep your eyes open for a used pallet jack - they come in very handy around the shop/garage when dealing with this type of thing. I wouldn't doubt you could wheel one right into place with a pallet jack without messing around with your tractor. And it might be worthwhile to spike/bolt some 4x4 pieces cross wise across the underneath side at the ends for feet so you won't have to mess around with blocks quite so much. Course, then all you'd need after that is a tractor with a front end loader - har.

Backpack09 said:
Make sure you dont leave a loaded rack on those wheels, they will sink in the mud or sink in your paved driveway.

That is why I only planned to use one cart and put it under as needed. Also, keeping the casters out of the weather as well.

maple1 said:
I'll add this too - if there is even the lightest dusting of snow on the ground and it gets on your wheels, the wheels will refuse to turn. Just like putting rocks in front of them - very frustrating (been there...).

Also, maybe keep your eyes open for a used pallet jack - they come in very handy around the shop/garage when dealing with this type of thing. I wouldn't doubt you could wheel one right into place with a pallet jack without messing around with your tractor. And it might be worthwhile to spike/bolt some 4x4 pieces cross wise across the underneath side at the ends for feet so you won't have to mess around with blocks quite so much. Course, then all you'd need after that is a tractor with a front end loader - har.

Didn't think of the snow problem but now that you say that I have had that problem in the past with 2 wheel carts.

The racks are designed for a fork lift, not sure if a pallet jack will go under them with the bracing but I am going to check that out. Thanks.

My dad has a Kubota tractor with a bucket, he will probably let me borrow it to move the racks once and a while. Only thing is I would have to go get it. I think I can fit four in the garage at one time so most of the winter will be covered with one move.

Status
Not open for further replies.