Finished the job this morning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Hearing about the snow coming, I figured I'd get the rest of the wood split before it hit. The stacking can wait though. So here's what we cut through the winter of 2009.

This is what it looked like before the splitting started.

3-6-08a.jpg

This picture surely doesn't do it justice. That wood is stacked over 6' high. But this is the little 20 ton splitter that did it all.
4-4-09b.jpg

Another angle.
4-4-09f.jpg

Another angle still.
4-4-09d.jpg

Who put this in there?
DennisCook4-4-09c.jpg

That wood is mostly white ash with some maple, and one elm. Oh, there were a couple blocks of red oak too that a buddy dropped off when he couldn't split them.

Now excuse me. I'm tired and will take the rest of the day off.

how long did it take. Man thats a huge pile. Wish mine was done.

I work slow. It took over 20 hours to do that. Some days I'd work just an hour. Many days I didn't do a thing on the wood. But although I work slow, it does get done! I enjoy doing this work but I was sure glad to see that last log. I could do this all day once upon a time but not so much any more.

Impressive. I now have woodpile envy. The snow was too deep to start laying trees down this winter, but within the week, me & my Stihl intend to get to work.

Bigg_Redd said:
BWS - I'm certain you're doing something wrong and/or unsafe in those pictures, so. . . cut it out.

Naw Bigg Redd. All is cool. Well, the wife seems to agree with you....

your stacking that stuff twice your much tuffer than I. Nice work the 50 years of wood burning does show! With 2 people going at it my pile dont as big as that one

Thanks for sharin'. Nice work.

Backwoods Savage said:
Bigg_Redd said:
BWS - I'm certain you're doing something wrong and/or unsafe in those pictures, so. . . cut it out.

Naw Bigg Redd. All is cool. Well, the wife seems to agree with you....

I'm a little dense, something to do with pain meds. What are you doing wrong?

Nothing flying cow. Just some ribbing going on there. All in good fun.

flyingcow, why are you on pain meds? I know only too well what they can do!

Sounds like you have a big job ahead of you with that beech and maple. You'll probably need more pain meds.

I have a Huskee twenty ton splitter that has had a new motor, pump, detent valve plus a cylinder rebuild through the years. The frame and tires are about 17-18 years old but it has split a pile near enough like that for every year it has been owned by me. At one point it split the wood for two homes so I think the 20 ton is all the splitter that is needed. As far as splitting all day sometimes splitting for an hour or two is like splitting all day least wise my body says so and it's been around long enough to know. Just for grins though you should split that one big pile in to two. Maybe it will make you feel young again and if not hey at least you can be accused of it.

Backwoods Savage said:
flyingcow, why are you on pain meds? I know only too well what they can do!

Sounds like you have a big job ahead of you with that beech and maple. You'll probably need more pain meds.

rotator cuff operation fri noon. hurried up and got wood cut, then in a couple of weeks i'll supervise the hydro splitter. I have 3 kids 11yrs, `13yrs, and 15yrs old. The 2 oldest I've renamed Cheap and Labor. :p

This wood is about as good as it gets. Premo stuff.

Cave2k, I fully agree with the 20 ton splitter as you can plainly see. Ours too has split about the same amount of wood but we've lucked out as we've had no repairs yet. Nice!

flyingcow, that's nasty. My wife had it done 2 years ago and she said never again. I've been told one side is gone and the other is almost there but I've held off.

Recently I've visited our local gal that has massage and therapy. She had good credentials so I went because of my danged headaches. Doctors don't seem to be able to help so I figured I'd at least try. Then I asked her about the shoulder if she could do anything. Wow!!!! She worked on it for about 5 minutes and I could hardly believe the difference. I can use it again and not as much pain either.

I've went back again for the shoulder after splitting the wood. Throwing is what gets me. She fixed me right up again. So my wife had her work on that shoulder she had surgery on and she helped it a lot. She now has much more motion with it. So sometimes it does pay to look around for alternatives.

I drive truck for a living and I could get by with it for a while, but it was tore pretty good, and done over a year ago. Had to shave somethig off, it had rehooked itself in another spot and had a lot of build up. I'm 43 and the docs real good and basically said we do it now or never. My wife has insurance for the family, and I'm self employed milk hauler, and have a damn good spare driver to fill in for 3 months. Timing is everything.

I can certainly see why you would get it fixed now then. Sounds like you have it all together. Good names for the boys too.

Milk hauler. Well, I'm an old milker. Grew up on a dairy farm as did my wife. There were 3 of us boys and I was the youngest so when I was 12 I went to work for a neighbor milking his cows. Sometimes it was interesting with school activities but when you grow up with these things you just take it in stride. Get this: I went to work for $3.00 a week at the time! It didn't seem that bad then either because I soon got a nice raise to $5.00. Of course, prices were not the same then as now either.

Nice job Backwoods, Makes me tired just looking at it. Keep it up, it will keep you young.

Geez Dennis,
Nice pile 'o wood!
We just got most of the snow melted off, then a few days ago, got another 3-4". More than 50% gone as of today, but now you say we're due for 8" Sun. nite? Maybe just out your way, 'cause I don't see it on the forecast .............yet.
Actually trudged thru the snow again today to look at the stacks for '09-'10. They're leaning a little toward the sunlight, hope they don't keel over. Maybe they're trying to grow more cords for me!!?

Dave

flyingcow said:
I drive truck for a living and I could get by with it for a while, but it was tore pretty good, and done over a year ago. Had to shave somethig off, it had rehooked itself in another spot and had a lot of build up. I'm 43 and the docs real good and basically said we do it now or never. My wife has insurance for the family, and I'm self employed milk hauler, and have a damn good spare driver to fill in for 3 months. Timing is everything.

. . . Plus let's not forget the truly important fact . . . sledding season is done for the year!

On a serious side, hope you're back up and running in short order . . . and it's time to get those kids used to the fact that you had them for one reason (well maybe two reasons) -- to take care of you in your time of need! ;) :)

Well isn't that just pretty. Hopefully my pile will be as large in a few weeks. I'll have to remember to take plenty of pics so I can show and tell..

Status
Not open for further replies.