Finishing the bridge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
For the past 3 years a team of volunteers has been working on replacing a 40' bridge on the Pacific Crest Trail in the North Cascades. In 2017 we had to remove the remnants of the old bridge which rotted in the center and collapsed under the heavy winter snow load. (10-12' of heavy snow is not uncommon). The theory is that it rotted because the bridge stringers were placed tightly together which prevented drainage. We saved as much of the bridge decking as possible. The Bridge Creek bridge is about a mile south on the Pacific Crest trail from Hwy 20 and is heavily used by hikers and horse riders. We created a temporary trail upstream and made a one log bridge in an area where people and horses could ford Bridge Creek. Then we packed out for the season.

Old bridge and the first log staged for milling
Before-old bridge down.jpg 20170916_103821web.jpg

This was a big scale project about 17 miles away from the nearest grid power and compounded by forest fires nearby which meant absolutely no power equipment allowed the first year. After rigging slings and pulley systems to remove the old bridge we cut up the pieces with 2 man saws. The forest service was delighted to have us volunteers managing the project. They cut down 5 large (~24") alpine spruce trees for new 40' stringers. We hauled them to the staging site and set up a cradle for milling the trees the next summer.

Milling the logs and hauling them into position
20180926_134955.jpg moving-first-stringer.jpg

In 2018 we created new metal mesh gabions to support the bridge ends and hauled tons of river gravel and sand up to create the ramps leading to the bridge. Another crew worked on stripping the bark off of the long trees and yet another on starting to mill each one (we could use chain saws that season). Milling those big logs was no trivial task. There were over 500 ft of milling to be done with a trusty Stihl 460 and an Alaskan Mill. After teach log was milled on 3 sides it was dragged down near the bridge and then transported via a long "highline" across the chasm and into place. Once all the logs were properly set and spaced on the new gabions they were covered with a protective barrier and then we installed the heavy decking planks and new outriggers planks which would support the braces for the posts to be installed the next year. We installed temporary bull rails, swept the deck and opened the bridge to our first hiker, a lovely young lady from Germany. The bridge was then tested with a team of pack mules and verified to be ready for winter.

2 stringers in place and 2018 crew driving the last decking spike
20180926_102830.jpg 20180929_115546.jpg

This year we started in winter by cutting down some nice cedars and stripped them of their bark. Then this spring we set up some planks to simulate the bridge deck so that we could pre-construct the post and railing system for the bridge. We built the complete system, labeled every part, then took it down for reassembly up in the wilderness. Last week with the help of some pack horses and a lot of human labor, we transported the railing assembly to the site and put it back together on the bridge. It is now officially open for business and hopefully will serve its purpose for many decades to come. It was a huge project but with the help of some very skilled people, we handled it one task at a time. I was the oldest on crew and it was a privilege to work with such talented and gregarious bunch. I'm not sure how many more projects like this I can do, but it was a hoot to be on this one.

Completed bridge and 2019 crew
crew-on-bridge.jpg bridge-done.jpg

Last edited:
Projects like this really give you an appreciation for the work pioneers had to do to get infrastructure in place.

My Father taught me there are no big jobs just a whole
lot of little ones strung together . I think you and that crew
just reinforced that
Nice Work

Last edited:
My Father taught me there are no big jobs just a whole
lot of little ones strung together . I think you and that crew
just reinforced that
Nice Work
Thanks. Your Dad was right. At first the task seemed overwhelming. But by pulling together the right people and resources and breaking the work down into smaller projects, it all got done. The way you tackle a big project is one step at a time. The project manager and myself plus two helpers built two sailing yachts a few decades ago the same way.