fire brick fix for a hearth mate stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nightfun

Nov 8, 2011
Seekonk MA
Hi every one. I have been searching the net and cannot find what I have been looking for. I'm hoping someone here can help.

There are a number of firebricks in my stove that are broken. I have not taken any broken pieces out yet. The reason is I don't know how to get em back in. I was told they come out like a puzzle but where to start finish is the main question. Any help you can provide would be great!

Also, if I do not replace the cracked bricks how will it effect the operation of the stove? They have been broken for a while but never noticed it until now.

Thank you all very much!

Minor cracks in soapstone are a normal occurance. Replacing them, depanding on the model ,can create more problems than it may solve. The litmus test is always how the stove runs, and even then leaks are most often gasket related or just door adjustment, stuff like that. If the cracks ARE that bad, well, it can be dealt with. I mean it IS just a box made of stone after all.

Take copious photos before you start. If you can, pull out a broken piece, apply the high temperature mortar and replace it without removing the whole brick. If you have to remove them all, try numbering each piece.

Hi everyone. I first have to say I am VERY sorry about my stove name. It's a HEARTH MATE stove.

I'm attaching a pic of one of the worst broken fire bricks. The door gasket has been replaced (it's the original one). I did burn in the stove and it did the job but I don't know if I am loosing heat or have a less efficent stove due to the broken bricks. And after looking at it for what seems like hours is I have no clue how to get the first one out to get the rest in.

THANK YOU for your help on this!

Attachments

• photo(7).jpg
    photo(7).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 807
I've deleted the Hearthstone commentary to bring this thread back on topic. Do you know which model this is? In order to figure out the brick pattern it would help if you could clean the stove out, then take some more pictures of the stove inside, and then an outside shot of the whole stove. Sometimes you have to remove the grate first. Sometimes you can just slide the brick upward then pull out the bottom first.

nightfun said:
Hi everyone. I first have to say I am VERY sorry about my stove name. It's a HEARTH MATE stove.

I'm attaching a pic of one of the worst broken fire bricks. The door gasket has been replaced (it's the original one). I did burn in the stove and it did the job but I don't know if I am loosing heat or have a less efficent stove due to the broken bricks. And after looking at it for what seems like hours is I have no clue how to get the first one out to get the rest in.

THANK YOU for your help on this!

If that is your worst brick, stop worrying.

The condition of that brick is affecting nothing.

If you have a baffle made of firebrick, and the bricks are broken AND missing, then you have a problem which should be addressed.

Dune said:
If that is your worst brick, stop worrying.

The condition of that brick is affecting nothing.

I'll second this.

Firebrick can/will do two things for you. It will insulate the steel of the firebox from the mega heat and it will retain or reflect heat back to the fire for increased burn temps (cleaner burning). Your picture doesn't show anything that would scare me, or lead me to believe they are ineffective.

Okay guys I really appreciate it! Yes that's the worse of the broken bricks. There are about 7 or 8 others that are cracked that one in the pickture is the only one with a small piece missing. So I'll begin burning again tonight as long as it will be ok. I had thought last year my house was not as hot, but it's possible the wood may have been the problem.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Now I have to find a wood guy that actually comes to my house when they say they will. Arrgghh

So this "wood guy" is bringing wood for NEXT year.. right?? or the year after that...?

Dakotas Dad said:
So this "wood guy" is bringing wood for NEXT year.. right?? or the year after that...?

it's horrible.. 2 different people said yes I'll be there with 4 cords (whichever day they said) never showed up. I found another guy last night that said he will be here Saturday. We will see...

There are a lot of amateurs in the wood selling market. Many are lousy businessmen just trying to make a quick buck. Be wary and don't be afraid to turn down a load if they show up with a lot of unseasoned wood. Or, pay the extra bucks to get a couple cords of well seasoned wood now from a reputable dealer. Then get the 4 cords for late winter/next season burning.

FWIW, savvy wood burners buy at least a year ahead of time if they have the storage room for this. The cheapest prices are often in springtime.

BeGreen said:
There are a lot of amateurs in the wood selling market. Many are lousy businessmen just trying to make a quick buck. Be wary and don't be afraid to turn down a load if they show up with a lot of unseasoned wood. Or, pay the extra bucks to get a couple cords of well seasoned wood now from a reputable dealer. Then get the 4 cords for late winter/next season burning.

FWIW, savvy wood burners buy at least a year ahead of time if they have the storage room for this. The cheapest prices are often in springtime.

Thanks BeGreen! Someone came last night to my house at 6pm. Before he could dump it I could smell the wood was green. I asked him if I could see the wood before he dumped it. He said no it's all good wood. After a few minutes he let me see what was in his dump truck. ALL NEW UNSEASONED WOOD! Turned him right away! Half hour later I got a call from a guy I had left a message for during the week. He came by my place at 8pm. Same thing I wanted to see the wood first he said sure. All oak and all seasoned! 4 cords dropped and I have his number so he can deliver in July next year!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.