Fire brick in the St. Croix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magsf11

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2009
buffalo ny
I just scraped that brick inside the stove and noticed it runs 20 degs hotter on low. Thinking that I might not replace it with the new design if I am getting more heat at a lower setting.

I ditched mine two years ago...

20deg. hotter?! What does it look like behind the fire brick? I just hate cleaning the brick, it NEVER gets clean. How does anyone clean these bricks?

I used a vacuum....they are only cosmetic ...they serve no fiction.

Mine crumbled to pieces so a few years ago I got the new metal refractory panels
and they are great.

npompei said:
So St. Croix sells a different kind of panel for the brick huh? Sounds like its something that would put out more heat?

Yes the replacement upgraded version refractory panels are metal
which eliminates the crumbling issue of the fake brick ones.
Far less headache. Put em in and forget it.
Here's a pic of them in my Prescott.
new_panels.jpg

Xena said:
npompei said:
So St. Croix sells a different kind of panel for the brick huh? Sounds like its something that would put out more heat?

Yes the replacement upgraded version refractory panels are metal
which eliminates the crumbling issue of the fake brick ones.
Far less headache. Put em in and forget it.
Here's a pic of them in my Prescott.
new_panels.jpg

Bought my st.croix last year and it has the metal brick looking panels and they looked great until the paint started to bubble in a few spots! I took them out and bead blasted them and put them back in bare (with no paint) and as the they discolored from the heat they look more and more like real brick than before! If you pull yours and look at the back of them you will see what i mean. Just my $.02 :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.