Fire in pellet plant in arizona!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
There was a HUGE fire in a pellet plant in arizona not sure if it was a wood pellet plant though .. took over 100 firefighters!!! to bring it under control

It is a pallet plant in Glendale. Not pellet.

What's with all the fires either way though? It seems like safety is taking a backseat at all of these plants that produce wood products.

You should visit a mill sometime. The major problem is cleanliness takes a backseat to production in many smaller operations. Bigger mills typically understand the importance of safety and are much better at keeping things clean.

Acres and acres of flammable wood pallets attract pyromaniacs like kids to icecream.

The problem is often fencing the entire place properly and guarding it. There are always some tweens or teens that think it is fun to light some on fire.

Carpniels

Good Grief. That's worse than a flood in an Alka-Seltzer factory!

Most pallet operations I have seen are totally lacking in safety and fire issues. For two years my shop was located up a hill from a pallet operation. The only English speaking employee was the boss. They used a lot of "day labor", no training to speak of. I moved after the third fire (during the day) thought to be caused by a smoker tossing a light cigarette into a pile of sawdust. Smoking was not allowed, so the employees would sneak one and toss it when the boss came around. The same company moved and a couple years later burned to the ground. Probably the same cause.

Any wood operation has the potential for fire and explosions. Most of the larger operations have their own fire crews and take safety very seriously. As I have commented before I was really unimpressed with the local pellet maker for the lack of concern about safety and fire prevention. They had a fire, not related to their operation, but a rental trailer (home) on the property. It was a wonder it didn't take the whole place down, but was 1,000 ft. from an industrial fire station.

Even in my shop Airborne saw dust is a concern. I have had three friends have small fires. I have had motors get smoky and over heat, but shut down before disaster struck. A large mill shop with very good safety procedures, but a very old building and a lot of built up dust went up in flames and burned to the ground in less than an hour about four years ago. The fire started in their dust collector and raced through their 30,000 sf. One of my projects this Summer is to white glove clean the dust in the shop.

Sawmills and other wood-processing plants burn down all the time, usually for the reasons cited by TMonter and UncleRich.

In my experience, usually welding that happens late in the day is the cause of many mill fires that don't become noticeable until after everyone has gone home. Unfortunately, the operations least likely to keep things clean are also the ones most likely to need welding, and usually under pressure to get production back on line.

Hot bearings in contact with sawdust is also a common culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.