Fire on again off again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
The last few days has seen the rain on again and off again with the temps finally warming some.

Yesterday morning I got up to the house at 64F (left the stove off Sunday eavening)
Started the little stove and within a shor time it was cozy in here.
Later in the day the clouds went away and it got warm. OMG came home around 4 and it was 78 in the house.

Turned the stove off for the night.

This morning its the same thing, house cold so I started the Advantage as it had plenty of fuel.

Its raining lightly out but supposed to get better later on.

Probably shut the stove off when we head off to work today and then see what we need when we get back this eavening.

On again off again fire thing this time of year for sure.

Ahh yess the joy of owning a stove.

Snowy

Snowy,

My stove has been on and off for the last week. I got spoiled with the warm weather we had a while back. Almost thought the heating season was done! NOT!!!!!!

This is the time of year having a stove that is auto light and uses a thermostat is just plain priceless. I just need to keep the hopper some what full. I don't want to keep to much as I will only need to scoop it out here one of these days. But I know when its empty! Well lets say the "BOSS" lets me know!!! :lol:

If the weather gets any more erratic I will likely turn the stat back up on the Quad and let it handle the duties.

Takes such a little amount of time to start a fire though. I really enjoy the little fire that I can get with the Little Whitfield.

Whitfield only built the Prodigy for a shor time I am told.

The early ones did not even have an exhaust fan. Just used the chimney draft with a slight boost from the room air fan to help out.

Could not run these wuth direct vent at all.
Mine is the later version that has the exhaust fan in the outlet housing up on top.

Very good little stove though.

They use a "shunt tube" from the room air fan to boost air in under the fire pot to help the burn.

One cool thing though, the stove will continue to vent fine even with a power outage and this with a direct vent out.

I suspect that we will continue to need some heat for another month off and on maybe a tad longer

Snowy

I just finished off my Press-to-logs and started on my Hamers. I don't know if it is the slightly warmer weather, but these hamers are way hotter than my press-to logs. My Harman Accentra insert has been kicking on around midnight, and it will run until about 6 am. It is nice to have the stat control it, so I don't wake up to those 58 degree mornings in the house.

Have had frost warnings the past 2 nights, and again tonight. Supposed to get down near freezing by 5 am.......ahhhhhhh....the stat on the stove is so nice to have.

Stove has been off for well over a week. A little from the furnace in the morning to take the chill out, but not much at all.

Forcast says Friday and Sat only in the 40's, so I will be firing up again. That's OK, I do have a half full hopper to burn off.

I would be using the stat/auto, but I have oil remaining on my pre-buy. I need to use as much as possible as the oil company is charging back .50/gallon of unused pre buy oil. :bug:

Needless to say, that was my LAST pre-buy of oil.......BRING ON THE PELLETS !!!!!!

Was 69F in the house when I went to bed. 62F in here this morning, BRRRRRRR

Fired off the Advantage and that was just taking too long so I kicked the stat up on the quad and let it go at it for about 10 minutes of burn time to bring that end of the house up to a more comfortable 70F

Today is supposed to be fairly warm 50's low 60's with plenty of sun so no all day fire needed.

Had a little frost this morning too so that helped get the house colder Im sure.

I probably could have run the little stove all night but did not feel like fooling around just before bed.

Supposed to get more rain and cooler in a few days so >>>>.??????????/ fire season not over yet.

Got up yesterday and found a little itty bitty tiny weeny MOUSE in my shell bucket alongside the stove

OH SH** FRANK dont need them critters in then house.

Set a trap and caught another one this morning.

Have a small opening in the floor that allows cables for the suround sound to come up from underneith.

Bet me thet little creature did not enter that way.

Bought a multiple mouse live trap that you wind up and placed it in the basement. Probably be occupied well this morning.

The little critters can sneak under the rollup door in the basement and have found a way upstairs.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO I dont think I like the little guests.

Hmmmmm Need a CAT me thinks.

Snowy

Dang. Mine had been off for weeks but now it's cold and rainy
for the next three days so I fired her back up this morning.
Oh well at least I'm glad I have the pellets to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.