Fire problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
Soooo, on Friday I had what I assume was a draft issue. Lit up the way ii always do, air wide open "ok" wood and a fire starter. I left for a sec and came back to smoke pouring in the room from the air inlet. Hit the fire with the extinguisher pulled everything out (didn't clean it out fully) and started again. Lit off more paper if it was a draft issue and was going for a bit but had to really try for a good fire. Cleaned out ashed and dry wiped down the insert the next day and I'm still having issues....what's going on? I should note, I have swept several times with the soot eater, but was short a few feet at the top (I've ordered the extra poles but haven't got them), could it be a clog?

can you light a match and hold it up near the stove outlet and see if the draft blows out match? It should

Excavator said:
can you light a match and hold it up near the stove outlet and see if the draft blows out match? It should

The fire is getting air, I see it dancing when I have it open. Once its going them its good. But that's the problem, getting it to that point.

How does your cap look on the chimney?? May be "plugged"?

DexterDay said:
How does your cap look on the chimney?? May be "plugged"?

I was thinking that...I do see smoke excaping, but I'm wondering if it is a bit clogged....I'm hoping to get the extra soot eater poles today for a good sweep all the way up.

I gather that your insert burns fine once it gets heated up, right? This suggests it is not a clogged flue but some other problem. My flue is tile and it really takes an hour or two to get the flue heated up fully. My first load in a cold stove with a cold flue never burns the same way subsequent loads burn. On the bright side the flue seems to stay warm all day even if I let the fire burn out during the day.

Creosote forms, normally, in the top 3-4' of your chimney. If your sooteater isn't long enough to reach the top then you are not getting to the creosote.

Wood Duck said:
I gather that your insert burns fine once it gets heated up, right? This suggests it is not a clogged flue but some other problem. My flue is tile and it really takes an hour or two to get the flue heated up fully. My first load in a cold stove with a cold flue never burns the same way subsequent loads burn. On the bright side the flue seems to stay warm all day even if I let the fire burn out during the day.

Still depends.... He stated he has not swept the top. If this is a liner, and his 1st year burning wood (maybe sub-par M/C) then its possible its clogged. Maybe not fully.... But enough to hinder draft. Its been cold enough to get a phenomenal draft going very quickly.
Just a little garbage can cause a big problem. Has happened to some on here already and they were experiencing similar problems. May not be plugged? But it could be, if it hasn't been touched.

James02- Do you have a liner? What insert do you have?

You can add your stove to your Signature line. Go to "Your Control Panel" at the top of the screen, then click on Edit Signature. Will help others, help you. By knowing what your working with.

James02 said:
Excavator said:

The fire is getting air, I see it dancing when I have it open. Once its going them its good. But that's the problem, getting it to that point.

Sounds to me as though your chimney is full of cold air and the room your stove is in is suffering from a little negative draft pressure. Best thing to do is either warm the flue with a hot air gun, or try opening a window as you are filling the fire box with kindle and upon lighting it.

Edit: Same thing happened to one of our fearless leaders not too long ago...I just cant find the post...Either way im sure BB or BG will chime in soon with the experience.

Found it:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/82452/

mikepinto65 said:
James02 said:
Excavator said:

Sounds to me as though your chimney is full of cold air and the room your stove is in is suffering from a little negative draft pressure. Best thing to do is either warm the flue with a hot air gun, or try opening a window as you are filling the fire box with kindle and upon lighting it.

Edit: Same thing happened to one of our fearless leaders not too long ago...I just cant find the post...Either way im sure BB or BG will chime in soon with the experience.

Found it:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/82452/

+1. From a safety point of view, a flue that reverses 'sometimes' is a real problem--what if it decides to reverse at the end of a burn cycle and emits CO from the coals?

woodgeek said:
+1. From a safety point of view, a flue that reverses 'sometimes' is a real problem--what if it decides to reverse at the end of a burn cycle and emits CO from the coals?

You know, I have often wondered the same thing. I always need to open up a window when lighting cold as my basement has a real negative pressure problem. I have come to the conclusion that I am fine when it comes to coal & CO however because as long as the room is warm, I do not need to open a window or have flue reversal on relights. It only happens (for me) when the stove has been out a while and is stone cold, and the room has cooled significantly. Also My CO detectors have not alerted either.

Wood Duck said:

It goes good when it's heated up, but last night on the fianl reload it fizzled out on me. Even with the air all the way open. The strange thing is the reload before that was wonderful. Raked the coals foward and instantly had flames with the air only half open I believe. On the final of the night it caught quick but then failed on me. Wasn't terribly cold last night, but tonight is a different story. Dexter...I have a PE Vista insert, with a liner. Done by professionals. Small but its good for my place.

James02 said:
It goes good when it's heated up, but last night on the fianl reload it fizzled out on me. Even with the air all the way open. The strange thing is the reload before that was wonderful. Raked the coals foward and instantly had flames with the air only half open I believe. On the final of the night it caught quick but then failed on me. Wasn't terribly cold last night, but tonight is a different story. Dexter...I have a PE Vista insert. Small but its good for my place.

Your wood may be suspect... are you certain it is properly seasoned? If it is under-seasoned that will happen when not reloaded on a super hot (or smaller) coal bed. Even not properly seasoned wood will "catch" as quick as the small dry bits burn off the exterior.

Your wood may be suspect... are you certain it is properly seasoned? If it is under-seasoned that will happen when not reloaded on a super hot (or smaller) coal bed. Even not properly seasoned wood will "catch" as quick as the small dry bits burn off the exterior.[/quote]

I've got newbie wood so to speak...I have pallets I've been burning to supplement that issue a bit....My problem is that this happen literally friday night for the first time. Hoping I get those extra soot eater parts today.

James02 said:
I've got newbie wood so to speak...I have pallets I've been burning to supplement that issue a bit....My problem is that this happen literally friday night for the first time. Hoping I get those extra soot eater parts today.

I really would highly bet that your chimney is not clogged...I think its a mix of the two things I have mentioned, wood and draft/cold flue.

mikepinto65 said:
James02 said:

I really would highly bet that your chimney is not clogged...I think its a mix of the two things I have mentioned, wood and draft/cold flue.

I've just never had this happen, that's why I'm kinda curious what's going on. Doing the same thing, perhaps better since I'm learning the insert. The cap does not appear to be clogged though, I did check on that yesterday in the daylight.

Status
Not open for further replies.