fire up the drop tube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyingling

Aug 13, 2010
south central PA
Here might be a goofy question. What keeps the flames from going up the drop tube of my enviro windsor? It appears awful close to the hole. I am enjoying the stove and the heat it puts out, but it makes me a little anxious sometimes.

As all things combustible, it needs the three members of the fire triangle in order to sustain fire.

You need.....
Heat
Oxygen
Fuel

If you remove any one of those there is no fire.

http://www.smokeybear.com/elements_triangle.asp

The fuel is stored along the auger helix in small bite size pieces. They are kept moving by the auger rotation. When they could possibly be exposed to heat they fall down the chute. No fire due to them not being exposed to heat long enough.

Not to mention that even if they somehow got jammed up at the top of the auger tube and did catch somehow. They would burn up the available fuel and self extinguish due to lack of fuel.

At least that is how I see it.

---Nailer---

There is no air flow in the chute to draw the flame up into the drop tube the air is being sucked up past the drop tube on the firebox side by the combustion blower.

As long as there is no burn pot build up the pellets are never exposed to the heat long enough to even get a chance to do anything even if they could until they hit the burn pot.

If you were to have your burn pot plug up to the point that the pellets back up in the drop chute you could get some burn back into the tube and if your hooper wasn't well sealed you could also get some smoke up into it. If by some chance you managed to get an air flow established in the chute it is possible to have the pellets in the chute burn back into the hopper.

What tends to happen is a lot of smoke and danged little fire. The probability of getting the three ingredients together in the drop chute is very low.

But to drive home a point, the best way to prevent such an occurrence is to be certain that your stove is clean, otherwise properly maintained, and installed according to the manufacturers installation manual.

Unfortunately folks don't always understand what that entails and its importance.

I understand the importance of a clean appliance, and practice such. I grew up with wood heat, you just throw it in and shut the door, adjust the damper a little. This is my first stove and season heating with it. I'm sure that I would be concerned about the elements of my boiler operation if I thought about it too much. I need to get used to the stove. Thanks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.