Firebacks useful?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
Saw these fireback things in a catalog my wife gets and was wondering if they'd help in radiating heat back into the room. We have a Jotul Castine installed in an old fireplace. It already throws heat pretty good, but I figure every little bit helps, right?

They're clearly intended for open fireplaces, but seems like they would do the same thing for woodstoves.

http://www.plowhearth.com/Oak-Leaf-Fireback_p10115_S2011_D4000_C1030.html#ReviewHeader

10807e.jpg

The reviews seem like it does what it says it will, reflect heat, it is more for a traditional fireplace not for your application, and I really don't think it will do much for you.

Shawn

We could try it out by using pieces of aluminum foil behind the stove and see if it reflects more heat out. I bet a brick hearth does absorb some heat.

I am sure the brick does, is this an exterior or an interior ? If it is interior, it releases that heat, at least some of it, back into the envelope. If it is exterior you are losing some heat but TBH I doubt this thing will make a big difference. I am of course assuming you have a block off plate. If you dont have a block off, that is where you should invest the money, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.