Firebox Question (w/ pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Okay...so while PMing another Lopi Declaration owner regarding my doghouse, I noticed that the lip on the front of my box doesn't appear as a welded seam as it does in the other Declaration owner's pic (large pic). Mine is the smaller two pics. Could this be a manufacturing error and therefore allowing a huge air leak into my stove? This unit is brand new.

Attachments

• IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC01469 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC01469 (1280x960).jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 370
Edit: My stove is the first two pics. The third pic is the other owner's stove. I tried Pming him the pics, but for some reason it said that my picture attachment wasn't an accepted file type. Therefore I decided to post here. In case you're wondering, the other owner discovered that his draft was too excessive therefore plugging two of the primary air inlets.

You're able to see the seam a little better here.

Attachments

• IMG_1645-2.jpg
    IMG_1645-2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 326
I don't know if that is a manufactures error or not but you could go to a dealer and see if they have one on the floor and compare. You could also ask the dealer to call the manufacture.

My stove has the same seam yours does. That is where another steel frame attaches to it. The reason you do not see my seam is because it is filled with ash. If you follow that seam around and up to the side you can see where it was welded from the outside.

Keep cutting and Good luck!
Dry Wood!

I think you're fine.

Less crotch shot next time, though. :lol:

How's it heating for you? The Declaration was in the running for the Kitchen stove. In the end, I stayed with the free standing stove (Encore).

Lol Bbar...too bad, I was the first pic (black sweatpants). That's a hard shot to get, especially on mine as it sits directly on hearth floor. The Declaration is a squatty beast. It's heating just fine. On cooler days, we've run a morning fire and then one a night. It's gotten the stove room up to 78 on small to moderate sized loads. I'm afraid to stuff it full though.

Stax, get some miles under your belt with the stove. You will be learning all season long. Assume it is ok for now. Don't fill it up with more wood until you need it. And then take it in steps so that you learn how the stove responds with a larger load of wood.

Stax said:
Lol Bbar...too bad, I was the first pic (black sweatpants). That's a hard shot to get, especially on mine as it sits directly on hearth floor. The Declaration is a squatty beast. It's heating just fine. On cooler days, we've run a morning fire and then one a night. It's gotten the stove room up to 78 on small to moderate sized loads. I'm afraid to stuff it full though.

Hopefully you'll get over that fear in January.

The woman that I spoke with from the shop you bought yours from had a Declaration, also. She doesn't load her's full either due to a lack of need. At the time I was trying to get a handle on what type of burn times I could expect from the stove. I imagine you should be able to get 8 hours of heat production time out of that stove with the right load.

BG, good advice as always. Bbar, me too. However, I didn't purchase from the shop that you're talking about (The Woodburners). I do know which lady you are talking about. She told me that she had a Declaration as well, but didn't go into any heating details. I got mine from a shop around the corner for about $600 bucks cheaper.

Stax said:
BG, good advice as always. Bbar, me too. However, I didn't purchase from the shop that you're talking about (The Woodburners). I do know which lady you are talking about. She told me that she had a Declaration as well, but didn't go into any heating details. I got mine from a shop around the corner for about $600 bucks cheaper.

Ah, well, nice find!

Status
Not open for further replies.