Firebrick replacement-Type and sizes.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kettensäge

Feeling the Heat
Jan 18, 2011
N.E. PA.
Shut down for the summer. Was preparing the stove for it's summertime rest. Emptying the ashes out and noticed the firebricks are really deteriorating. What I thought was burnt on klinkers of ash turned out to be the firebrick falling apart. Looks like it is swelling, and falling apart. Anyway I want to replace these before the next burn season. Found here that there are 2 types of firebrick. 1 is pumice based, and the other trditional firebrick.

I would like to know:

1. How to ID what I have?

2. Do I match what's there, or upgrade if I currently have something inferior?

3. Are these sold in 1 size and cut to fit?

4. Reputable internet vendor?

This is for the pre epa insert in my sig, bricks on the bottom only, 25" wide X 18" deep.

Thanks in advance

the standard size for firebricks (at least the ones I have access to) are 4.5" x9" x1.25". you may have some factory specific type bricks though. If they are just for the bottom, you probably want the standard refractory material, as pumice might be a bit fragile for that, though I have no real world experience with that application. Standard bricks can be had at a lot of places, including local hardware store....for what they weigh, shipping would not be cheap IMO, so ordering online might not save you much.Retail for about $4 each.

Some stoves use special brick sizes and shapes, but if it's a standard firebrick, a local hardware store should have them. You don't say what brand and model stove you have so it's hard to say whether you need special size bricks. If you do, it's better to order them for your stove, although you can cut firebrick with a masonry blade on a Skill saw.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
Some stoves use special brick sizes and shapes, but if it's a standard firebrick, a local hardware store should have them. You don't say what brand and model stove you have so it's hard to say whether you need special size bricks. If you do, it's better to order them for your stove, although you can cut firebrick with a masonry blade on a Skill saw.

The insert is in my sig. Factory bricks no longer available. I do have a old mom and pop hardware store in the neighboring town. They sell everything including stoves, I'll check with them.

Thanks all.

Not sure on the different types but most I've seen are cut to fit. The stove store I shop at has a saw out back to cut what you need.

Quote: Not sure on the different types but most I’ve seen are cut to fit. The stove store I shop at has a saw out back to cut what you need.

With standard size bricks I will need to cut at least 2 bricks in the 25" direction. I do have 2 stove shops nearby as well, I'll see if they can cut them as well. Thanks!

Look for a local masonry supply outfit.
In MA a split (4.5†x9†x1.25â€) goes for around $0.65.
$2.99 is way to expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.