Firebrick Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACDavis

Mar 9, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and have done a little poking around with the search function. I am a noob to fireplace inserts, so I appologize in advance for my lack of knowledge.

I was mainly wondering if anyone could shed some light on a situation that I have with my FABCO fireplace insert.

The firebox is lined with firebricks that appear to be individual bricks. A few of them are cracked, I haven't worried too much about them until lastnight when I went to clean the firebox out and one of the bricks is now split into thirds and could easily fall out of position. I called a local fireplace store and they didn't think that this could be made out of individual bricks, but out a a pannel made to look like bricks. I will take a closer look tonight, but I do believe that they are individual bricks held in place with a piece of angle iron at the top.

SO long story short, is there a special kind of brick that I need to get to replace the cracked bricks? If so where can I find them? Should I turn the furnace on until I have a chance to fix the bricks?

Also on another issue, is anyone familular with FABCO fireplace inserts? I've done a little googling and have discovered that they're out of Boise and are out of buisness. Our insert has a nob on the top of the firebox opening that appears to be disconnected, and a slide on the bottom that doesn't appear to do much either. Basicly I do not believe that I have any flue control or air intake control. I'm a big tightwad and haven't worried too much about these yet, but I figure that I probably should take care of them at some point. Anyone have any advice on a DYI fix?

Thanks so much in advance for any help, and again I'm sorry for my noob questions.

Adam

First off if you have no air control then do not use that appliance. You have to figure out which is the air control before you make a big mistake. Have you been burning without air control? Scary thought. You need to get a owners manual or parts list off the web. Time to go searching.
Assuming you have regular fire bricks it is no big deal if they are cracked as long as they fit together well. Up here they are at most hardware stores but stove shops will have them for sure.

Yeah we've been burning most of the winter, but I think the flue is just wide open. I can get the house plenty warm, but I think that a lot of heat is going up the flue. We haven't had any smoke issues at all, which is what makes me think things are wide open.

I'll take a look for firebricks, I might have to dig around some as most people in my part of California don't use their fireplace. I haven't noticed that bricks being loose before, but after lastnight I think it would be wise to change them out.

Does anyone have any tips for finding a manual? I've done the internet thing and haven't been able to find anything about Fabco.

Thanks so much,

Adam

The typical firebrick used to line woodburning appliances is called a "split", because it's half the thickness of standard firebrick. The dimensions of a firebrick split are 9" x 4½" x 1¼". One manufacturer is Rutland, and their bricks are available in 6-packs through Ace Hardware. If you have a retail outlet nearby, they can order them in for you (if they're not in stock), and you'll pay no shipping charge. My local guy got me some in 2 days, $1 cheaper than Ace's online price. Rick

You'll have a much better chance of finding someone on this forum who is familiar with FABCO products if you start a new thread and title it something like, "Need Information on FABCO Fireplace Insert".

I found two boxes of firebrick at Menard's; you may have something similar in CA (home center). They come in one size, so I had to cut a couple to a narrower size. I used a masonry cut off wheel in my 4" side grinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.