Firebugs JOTUL thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Bug

Nov 23, 2005
Clarks Summit,Pa.
Hi T,
Sounds like your makin tracks now! Good Deal! Hope everything turns out in your favor,(also in WXMans favor).
Did at anytime, did the dealer or the company ever say that this was a manufacture's error or product defect to you?

John

elkimmeg said:
Tend that's great news you know your original post brought attention for the need for additional supports which I'm told from now on will be added.
With all the CFM /Vc bashing that took place they responed as well or better than most manufactures have to satisfy their customers

Where is the lynch mob when Firebug and jejennings are having their problems with Jotul and Harman. Or the lynch mob appear when VC is involved
and all other manufactures get a free pass? Each of these members would be quite happy with simmilar Manufacturer response,.

Firebug if the parts are not available from Jotul then, why are they not replacing your stove?

Same to jejennings IF it can't be fixed ,then why are they not replacing it?

Hi Elk,
At this point, I am done trying to approach this problem in a very, reasonable, diplomatic, manner. I am at the end of my rope!
I have not heard back from the dealer or Jotul on my problem from better than a week ago. My patience has run out for sure. The way this problem is being handled by Jotul is totally unacceptable! I really believe the dealer does not know what to do at this point. The dealers technician has told me he has several of these stoves out in the field and he has never recieved a service bulletin about this problem.
I'm sorry, but I can't believe that Jotul does not have a burner assembley, burner skirt, and pilot shroud for my stove. Heck, the later two parts can be fabricated from a simple piece of tin. Where are these parts coming from anyway, Istanbul?
I believe Jotul has a much bigger problem than they are admiting too, or they just don't know how to correct this problem in a proper manner.
I filed a report with the Consumer Product Safety Commision about the possibility of the burner being missaligned causing build up of Lp in the unit that has caused the glass to blow out on two of thier other models.
I will also file a report to my Local Better Buisness Bureau and also stop payments on my Discover Card until this matter is resolved.

John

the company sent out burner retainers some time ago when this problem arrived. Dealers where supposed to install these retainer kits on there instock units, and any ones in the feild. We were givin a serial number range that this affected. The only unit this affected that we sold was the nordic qt. They have a proper fix, your problem is not with the manufacture, it sounds like you have a lame dealer. Your are the dealers customer, and the dealer is the manufactures customer. Thats the way it works.
Fire, understandably your upset, but you need to focus your anger on the dealer. We knew of this problem last year, and we have not had a single incident, becuase we as a dealer corrected the problem before it ever left the store.

MS Guy,
At this point both dealer and manufacturer have been contacted by myself. Jotul has said that I have to go through my dealer and the dealer has said that they contacted Jotul and they do not have the parts for my stove.(Two weeks ago at least).
You are correct about the retainer clips. When I told my dealer about this recall, he said that was a while ago and they were advised on the fix from Jotul.
The stoves that were involved on the safety recall were certain Nordic Models,(as mentioned by you), and certain Lilliehammer models, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commision Website. The problems I am having currently with my stove are deferent but but possibly may involve burner missalighnment. I am having more of a "Back Burn Problem". As I have said before, the Jotul Engineer knew exactly what I was talking about when I called Jotul about the noise with my stove.
I believe it was you , if I am correct, that told me about the exhaust restrictor and what it was for and how to adjust it. My dealers technician told me not to mess with it.
As far who is on the receiveing end of my anger, I blame both Jotul and my dealer for not getting on Jotul's back to get this problem corrected. Both were given the opportunity to get the ball rolling!
I feel the dealer and manufacturer both have an obligation to me as a customer.
John

did the problem start after you adjusted the restrictor? the problem with the nordic is a little delayed ingition would cause the burner to walk off the orfice. This was caused by draft issues. Is it possible that you closed the restrictor to much? or was this problem from day one?

MountainStoveGuy said:
did the problem start after you adjusted the restrictor? the problem with the nordic is a little delayed ingition would cause the burner to walk off the orfice. This was caused by draft issues. Is it possible that you closed the restrictor to much? or was this problem from day one?

The "blow torch" noise was there from day one, only it did it only occasionally. Now it does it everytime it is started. I was told by the Jotul Engineer to discontinue the use of the stove because the burner, burner tube, gasket, etc. would definitely be "destroyed" if I continued to use the stove.

who was the tech that helped you? PM me your name as well. Let me see if i can get to the bottem of this. The blowtorch noise woudl typically be a air/fuel ratio problem, but hard to say without "hearing it"
PM me some info. i will see what they tell me. I know those guys pretty well.

MSG, in another thread I think he said and I would also assume, the noise is from gas burning inside the burner tube just as it comes out of the orfice.

jtp10181 said:
MSG, in another thread I think he said and I would also assume, the noise is from gas burning inside the burner tube just as it comes out of the orfice.

jtp,
You are correct. I did post that Jotul's Engineer stated that the noise was coming from "super heated gases" inside the burner and the burner tube or ventury tube that will eventually destroy these items and gaskets if continued use of the stove in this conditon persists.

John

quote author="elkimmeg" date="1175702082"]Tend that's great news you know your original post brought attention for the need for additional supports which I'm told from now on will be added.
With all the CFM /Vc bashing that took place they responed as well or better than most manufactures have to satisfy their customers

Where is the lynch mob when Firebug and jejennings are having their problems with Jotul and Harman. Or the lynch mob appear when VC is involved
and all other manufactures get a free pass? Each of these members would be quite happy with simmilar Manufacturer response,.
[/quote]

Elk,

As far as jennings is concerned, the lynch mob showed-up (his mane is H@##y) and IMHO tried to make Jennings the bad guy so I hammered H@##y.....so...the lynch mob showed up but tried to lynch the wrong person.....LOL

Hmm, heck if I know what lynch mobs are all about - but all I see here is people helping people who have problems.

Complaining is a good way of making certain folks address your problems - that is, if they don't do so in the standard manner. But after that, it really doesn't do much.

As to this Jotul situation, MSG knows a lot about this stuff - but, just off the wall, can't LP problems also be the result of all kinds of things - like a bad regulator on the LP tanks, etc. - I seem to remember this happening way back in the day. So it seems as if this problem is really not 100% diagnosed (or maybe it has been) - but has the dealer or installer been there and carefully checked the input pressure, burner position and everything else? A tech on the phone is flying blind no matter what....unless the problem is exactly what others have - which does not seem to be the case here.

It's something a bit like medical care - you can get the best doctors in the world, but they often can't figure out what is wrong. The only way is to start at the very beginning and eliminate things one by one - the beginning being the LP tank and regulator, then the lines, etc - when it is established that all that is OK, then you can start at the regulator on the unit itseld, as well as burner seating, etc....

Maybe this has already been done.
As frustrating as it is, you have been given the safest advice - to stop using it until fixed. And, by any measure, that beats "what are you doing, starting it with gasoline" by a long shot!

Hopefully you will be able to get it fixed and live happily ever after....

Webmaster said:
Hmm, heck if I know what lynch mobs are all about - but all I see here is people helping people who have problems.

Complaining is a good way of making certain folks address your problems - that is, if they don't do so in the standard manner. But after that, it really doesn't do much.

As to this Jotul situation, MSG knows a lot about this stuff - but, just off the wall, can't LP problems also be the result of all kinds of things - like a bad regulator on the LP tanks, etc. - I seem to remember this happening way back in the day. So it seems as if this problem is really not 100% diagnosed (or maybe it has been) - but has the dealer or installer been there and carefully checked the input pressure, burner position and everything else? A tech on the phone is flying blind no matter what....unless the problem is exactly what others have - which does not seem to be the case here.

It's something a bit like medical care - you can get the best doctors in the world, but they often can't figure out what is wrong. The only way is to start at the very beginning and eliminate things one by one - the beginning being the LP tank and regulator, then the lines, etc - when it is established that all that is OK, then you can start at the regulator on the unit itseld, as well as burner seating, etc....

Maybe this has already been done.
As frustrating as it is, you have been given the safest advice - to stop using it until fixed. And, by any measure, that beats "what are you doing, starting it with gasoline" by a long shot!

Hopefully you will be able to get it fixed and live happily ever after....

Web,

I agree but it doesn't fix his problem....and since it appears he's followed the "chain of command", and the dealer and manufacturer can't or won't fix it for him, time has therefore passed to use the "carrot" approach and he should start using the "stick" approach......

Hi Castiron,
Yes the Dealer has been contacted about this and their tech. has been down twice.
It was not Jotuls Tech.s I talked to when I called Jotul it was a Jotul Engineer who new exactly what I was talking about, so I assume they are having a problem with other units of the same nature.
As far as the propane suggestion, I have a Heat & Glow FB Grand Propane Insert upstairs in my fireplace. This insert is operating fine off the same regulator, line,and LP Tank. The stove makes the noise when the insert is burning at the same time or off. So I think the propane is not the problem. And I definitely am not burning gasoline in this stove! (Unbelieveable).
I have just been e-mailed by The Consumer Product Safety Commission in regards to a report I filed with them. They would like to make an appointment to come an photograph the stove and get more info. on it.

Thanks,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.