Fired up Pellet Stove last night & Auger was Dead as a Door Nail !!!! Yellow 4 Troubleshoot Light no

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

The maintenance light came on with a Yellow 4 troubleshoot code!!
Tried running the stove manually and when the red auger light came on the auger did not move!!! Ah ha !!

In this case the nice USER troubleshooting chart in the owner's manual was no help!!
The pellets would just not feed one bit and I had dumped 2 bags of pellets into the hopper!!

So, I got the wiring diagram and tested 2 snap switches and the Flow Switch.

First I pulled the AC plug from the wall outlet.
Took off the back screen buy loosening the bolts and pulling up and out.

The snap switches are a easy. See pic
They open if there is an over temperature condition that would melt the plastic parts in the stove.
Just pull the clips off and put the meter leads on. Then see if the meter reads Zero ohms!

Both of mine read Zero (Good) but when I put the wires back on I made sure that they made good contact!!!

Then I remove the 2 bolts and pulled out the Flow switch after disconnecting the 2 wires and plastic tube.
The flow switch measure air flow in the exhaust to assure the exhaust blower is working properly.

I put the meter on the contacts. Meter read Zero.
Then I began sucking air into my mouth with my lips on the spigot, I could hear the vacuum switch pop and meter went to zero ohms!
Good

If any of these switches fail or have a bad connection the Auger shuts down and the stove will stop!

So I put everything back and turned and fired up the stove, when the Red Auger light came on the Auger turned!!

Summary
The slight aging of the safety switches caused a bad connection and stopped the stove from working!!
Also temperature changes from winter to summer and fall can help to seperate the connection!

No parts needed and saved the $100 to start service call !!!

Attachments

• Snap&FlowSwitchWiring.jpg
    Snap&FlowSwitchWiring.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,503
  • SnapSwitchesSC.jpg
    SnapSwitchesSC.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,604
  • FlowSwitchWithMeterLeadsAttachedsc.jpg
    FlowSwitchWithMeterLeadsAttachedsc.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,663
  • flowSwitchChecksGoodsc.jpg
    flowSwitchChecksGoodsc.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,413
smoke show said:
good job, Don

Thanks Smoke Show.

Somehow I think if I called in the big service call for $100, they would of fixed it but then either replaced a few parts for more money or wiggled the wires to get it working and would not know for sure what was wrong.

This way we all know what was wrong in case if it happens again! I am sure it will!

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 614
coobie said:
Don,great info.I got your PM also,Thanks again.coobie

Hello Coobie

I finally found what seems to be really good stuff for all the stove's snap disc contacts and other contacts to really prevent these problems!!
Carbon Conductive Grease!!

Carbon Conductive Greese from Allied Electronics in Ft Worth Texas made by CG Chemicals!
https://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70125869

Attachments

• CarbonConductiveGrease.jpg
    CarbonConductiveGrease.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 338
"The but sucking air into my mouth with my lips on the spigot..."

i must be exhausted, as i had to read that 4 or 5 times..

nice troubleshootin'

ray

PoolGuyinCT said:
"Then I began sucking air into my mouth with my lips on the spigot..."

i must be exhausted, as i had to read that 4 or 5 times..

nice troubleshootin'

ray

Thanks ray, I fixed the English!

Don

Hello

Well I got the grease today. It is very black!

Label
MG Chemicals
Improves Electrical Conductivity
Lubricates and protects

A high purity silicone oil loaded with branched carbon to produce a highly conductive lubricant capable of operating over a broad range of temperatures. Lubricates and improves electrical connections between sliding surfaces, while providing protection against mosture and corrosion.

Electronic Grade
Premium Quality
Will Not Harden

Attachments

• CarbonconductiveGrease (2)sc.jpg
    CarbonconductiveGrease (2)sc.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 239
Hello

Well in the warm weather tonight while the stove was down, I unplugged the AC and took out the room blower and pulled out the Carbon Conductive Grease on the Astoria and greased those safety switches!!

Also did the quick disconnects on the main fuse to the power cord.
Also did the Low Limit Exhaust Sw on the left side of the stove but not shown here.

See pics - Just like BrillCream - Just a little dab will do ya!

Hi Limit Hopper Snap Disc - Electrical connection see yellow arrow

Room Blower Limit Snap Disc - Electrical connection see yellow arrow

Vacuum Exhaust Flow Switch - Electrical connection see yellow arrow

Attachments

• CarbonGreaseHiLimitHopperSw1sc.jpg
    CarbonGreaseHiLimitHopperSw1sc.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 601
  • CarbonGreaseRoomBlowerLimitDiscSC.jpg
    CarbonGreaseRoomBlowerLimitDiscSC.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 408
  • CarbonGreaseVacuumEshaustFlowSwSC.jpg
    CarbonGreaseVacuumEshaustFlowSwSC.jpg