Fired up the Jotul F 400 Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cycloxer

Minister of Fire
Jul 9, 2008
Worcester County, MA
Finally got around to getting it installed. Nice stove. Really high quality castings and simple, elegant design. Me and this stove, we speak the same language.

Attachments

• installed 1.jpg
    installed 1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,725
  • installed 2.jpg
    installed 2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,319
How do you move a brand new 375 lb stove with two people? Simple. You take it all apart so you can carry it inside.

Attachments

• moving 1.jpg
    moving 1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 921
  • moving 2.jpg
    moving 2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,360
You can see the lower block plate all sealed up. I did decide to seal the perimeter with high-temp clear silicone after consulting my thermal expert fire-fighter friend. The 2" Rockboard 60 is hidden behind the plate and provides an R 8.4 insulation value. The upper block off plate uses a plug of Rockboard 60 as well as the liner cap sealed to the crown with silicone and secured with Tapcons for good measure. The center section of the lower block plate will be sealed with stove cement once I can bring it up to higher temps in a few days. Regardless, there are no leaks at all and the chimney drafts like a champ.

Attachments

• lower block plate 8.jpg
    lower block plate 8.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,068
Damn that looks nice man! Good job! Don't think you will need any insulation on the pipe with the rock board? How has the heat pumped out so far?

No, the Rockboard is non combustible and is rated for 1,200 degrees with an ultimate melting temp of 2,100. I think I'm okay, ;^) I wanted to run the liner from the top of my chimney right into the stove. There are no breaks or connections in the system other than the connector right to the stove. No joints = no leaks = safe. I haven't gotten the stove to full temp yet as I am still working through the break-in fires. I will say that the block off plate works as a radiation shield (keeping the heat in the room) and it does get as hot as the stove. So I am glad it is there.

That looks real nice...

It's hard to choose--after much head scratching, I thought having the cleanout T and the stove out a bit farther was a reasonable compromise.

Then I look at yours and admire the simplicity and the tidiness of the install--just drop that liner on top & seal 'er up.

We also thought it was worth it to put in the 7" for the 600, then T and reducer to the stove. But I figure it's like everything else connected with houses--arguments on both sides.

Enjoy your Jotul--I'm a total convert and we have not had real cold weather yet!

Both strategies have their pros and cons. I went for the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) install. Now bear in mind, I have to push up the liner and slide the stove forward to clean, but I don't mind that. I didn't want to extend my hearth and I was shooting for the simple, elegant solution. So I have my stove positioned right at 17" to the door. I can move it forward or back and inch or so, but I kind of like how it sits right here. I considered a Hearthstone Shelburne, an F 500, and even an F 600. I think this F 400 fits the space well. I'm glad I didn't go with a bigger stove as it would just be wedged in there. They all look small in the store, but much bigger in your own home.

Great looking insert. Hope you enjoy your Jotul as much as I do mine.

Sweet stove...you'll love it when winter finally arrives. 8

Attachments

• Install 010.jpg
    Install 010.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 706
A few more observations:

I'm really glad I bought a Jotul. This is a high quality stove and now I understand why people like them. There were only two of us to move the stove and I had no special dollies or anything. So, I busted out the metric tools and took off the following:

smoke outlet
upper back plate
top plate
fire grate
ash pan
front door assembly
inspection cover assembly
complete secondary air chamber assembly
baffle plate
air handle (to prevent damage)

This lightened up the stove considerably and two of us were able to pick it up off of my tailgate and walk it up a short flight of steps and into the house. All of these parts are put on with 10mm bolts and are gasketed which makes removal and reassembly a piece of cake. This was actually good becuase now I better understand the design of this stove. I'm sure this will come in handy later on for maintenance and cleaning.

Also for those who want to know, the firebox measures exactly 20.6" wide x 12.7" deep x 12" tall (average) for a firebox of roughly 1.8. It is not quite 2.0 cu. ft., but it is also bigger than the 1.5 that people have cited on this forum.

EDIT: Corrected firebox width dim.

Great choice, I've got the same one. I'm in the third year and I enjoy it a lot. Also, great beer choice.

Sharp looking stove and install.

The one good thing with the 66 degree temperature in December is that I can open all the doors to let the paint out-gassing out of the house. Good thing I got the stove to keep the house warm, hahaha. I'm sure winter will be here soon enough. Two break-in fires done, one more to go...

cycloxer said:
How do you move a brand new 375 lb stove with two people? Simple. You take it all apart so you can carry it inside.

Hmm I think I see the secret to your excellent install in your picture. The empty six pack of Wachusett Country Ale on the hearth. I'm sure you were just icing them down at this point and enjoyed them after the install.

cycloxer said:
[....] the firebox measures exactly 12.6" wide x 12.7" deep x 12" tall (average) [....]

Maybe you meant a different width? Is your height measurement usable height, in other words how far up to the baffle?

Incredible install, I love it!!

Handsome stove and installation!!! Now, life would be even easier for you if you would leave the top of your Castine unbolted, and simply set it in place. That is a requirement in Europe, to allow for simple cleaning (somebody correct me if I am wrong). My Castine top has been unbolted for several years, with no problems resulting.

You are not far from me, you are one brave soul taking apart a brand new stove! It looks great and best of luck with it. I might call on you when mine needs to be torn down for cleaning etc. I would not in a hundred years dare take it apart, it would be worthless once all the parts were on the floor, would never get it back together. You guys are good at that stuff much more than some of us gals I guess.

Sorry - the correct firebox dims are 20.6" W x 12.7" D x 12" H. The height is an average at the mid-point of the firebox as the height tapers down from front-rear. Regardless, it always measures to around 1.75 cu. ft.

As for the top, it is only 2 bolts to remove. One thing I figured out is that if you get with careful maneuvering, you can remove the secondary air chamber assembly through the front door without unbolting anything. Some engineer used his head when he designed this thing. That allows you full access to the flue pipe for cleaning without removing a single bolt. You could place a small cardboard box up there to capture any soot and debris and then go up to the roof and do a top-down brush job. Never have to move the stove. Piece of cake.

Well I have been taking things apart since I was 5. Some things never change. I can usually get them back together the right way with enough beer...

The Castine looks great! We love ours. It's been a great few months with it so far.

That's a beautiful install. Nice to have all that mass around the stove. I'm on my second season with the castine and I'm real pleased with it- wish I had that brickwork though!

Very nice looking installation. Post a beauty picture in the Perfect Picture forum so that Craig adds it to his gallery.

As for capacity, it could be that they are being conservative, but most stove's capacities are reported as the usable space, not total measurable space. I measured 12" in the front of the tubes, 11" under front and 9" at the back. Seems 10" average is more meaningful. That comes out to 1.5 cu ft which is what I was told by Jotul back before we bought our Castine.

Going back to an old post here is what I measured:
From my stove I measure the usable area as 20.5” wide, 13” deep to the glass, but 11” to the doghouse (air inlet chamber) - which is the real usable space. Due to the tiered secondaries - 9” high at back of stove to 12” high at front, though 11"high in front is the usable dimension.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/9330/P44/#110624

How do you define usable space vs. measurable space? If you can measure the firebox with a tape measure, then you can use that space and fill it with wood - especially with the generous 20x9.5 door opening. There is nothing in the manual that says you can't fill it with wood. There are three steps to the roof of the Castine. The front step measures 14" high. The second step measures 12" at the center. The step furthest to the rear measures at least 10.5" at the center. Given that the steps are roughly the same depth, that averages to over 12", but let's round down to 12" to be conservative.

20.6W x 12H x 13D = 3214 / 12^3 = 1.86 cubic feet

So, round that down again to be even more conservative and you are looking at a 1-3/4 cubic foot box. It's not quite 2, but it's not 1.5 either. I compared this with a Hearthstone Shelburne which measures to 2.0 cubic feet. I just compared apples to apples - the actual inner dimensions of the stove, the usable space for loading wood, aka the firebox.

Great install, stove looks great. I noticed the box of Wachusett in your picture, one of my favorites, cheers :coolsmile:

Attachments

• wbc.jpg
    wbc.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 468
I have a question about this stove, and it kind of relates to usable space vs. measurable space. If you stacked up wood to near capacity, wouldn't you be concerned about it collapsing a lot, or even a bit, and hitting the window, OR , ashes building up over the intake air? Anyone who's used a Castine care to offer info about this?

There is that risk with any stove, yes. That's why I never totally pack every usable square inch of the firebox. Let's put it this way: if you feel the need to do so, then you probably bought a stove that is too small. The stoves I considered were all in the 1.5 to 2.0 cubic foot firebox size. The stove that I liked with a larger firebox, the Hearthstone Shelburne, I did not buy. Not that it is a bad stove. Actually I really liked the stove and I would have preferred the slightly larger firebox. However, the Castine fit my hearth better, Jotul is renowned for quality, and I found a great local dealer to work with = decision made. The firebox size is important, yes, but it is not the only factor when shopping for a stove. You want to get something that is close enough to fit your heating needs, but the overall design and function of the stove is equally important.

As for Wawa beer, yes, Country is my favorite beer. It gets the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.