FireFern Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bceureka

Jun 1, 2007
Humboldt County
Has anybody heard of a Fire Fern wood stove?

Customer called and has one, but no manual or stove label.

Probably an old POS, but Maybe UL listed?

Would like any info I can get, or it will have to be treated as Unlisted and that will eat up half the room.

Thanks,

Barry

barry,
i have never heard of it , and have had no luck googling it. isit possible that the customer is giving you a model name instead of a brand name

firefern i believe is a type of shamrock by the way, not that it means anything in this matter, just thought i'd toss it out here

EDIT , its an oxalis , a blooming bulb plant that has leaves that look like clover , usually with 4 leaves. the firefern has yellow flowers , the oxalis that i have are "iron cross" and bloom white with purple marking on the petals that resemble the old german iron cross

If it has no label, even if it was UL listed at one time, its not anymore, not without the label on it.

great point jtp , i missed the part about the label first read, if the label is missing it may asd well have been built in his garage even if its a recognisd unit its still unlisted without that label

To issue a permit for installation all stoves are required to be labeled and listed on that label clearance ot combustibles are required.

No inspector in any state is obligated to issue a permit in fact none should issue one period. The code is quite explicit in that requirement. The only exception is antique cooking stoves..

Sorry to be the one to tell you this but I would never be a party of installing an unlisted un labeled stove. In a court of law you should have known better and be found negligent every time

Even if you get a permit and get sued.

Hereabouts, there are lots of unlisted dinosaurs installed in houses from back in the day. At one time there were three shops making stoves here in our little town of 25K. I know, I'm the one hauling them off to the recyclers. Durable bastards, if not overly efficient or stylish. County code when they went in was 48" to combustibles and no reductions. Basically a large empty room with the stove in the middle.

Mainly its the insurers that require them to be replaced, although jusdging by some of thier forms, they are from the 60's too.

Will tell the customer the bad news Mon am. ironically, this was to replace a stove that is UL. (Orley). :coolsmile:

Can you grab a snapshot of it and post it here for posterity?

Had a look and got the straight story. FIre Furn stove was made by Two Guys Woodstoves up the coast in Crescent City. They were the only stove shop up there for ages. I think the name was something they settled on and had brass plaques cast to bolt onto thier homemade stuff.....
In any event, the customer had 6" flue and the stove has 8" hole so no go anyway. Set them to looking for a 6" unit WITH a label.

Stove looks like a Centennial step top with front spin dampers and itty bitty glass in doors-- which is of course perpetually black.

Advised them that it would make a grat planter or boat anchor.

Status
Not open for further replies.