Fireplace Advice and Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LHFixer

Jan 2, 2012
Southern, Pa
My fireplace facing started to fall apart and get brown. I pulled it apart to discover some brainiac build a facade of wooden framing and drywall. It looks to me like they didn't care for the fireplace insert facing and decided to get creative. I'm shocked that I didn't burn the house; the framing was blackened and the drywall was desiccated and crumbling.

I removed the facade and exposed both a cinder block fireplace and a monstrous steel insert with three induction vents. I'm, guessing that it was formerly part of a larger insert, perhaps cast iron or something. The opening is 51H by 48W.

I am at a loss as to what to do now. I intended on a stone veneer but the open air makes it difficult to support, even with durock.

I'm hoping:
-Someone can easily identify this insert so I can find one somewhere in good shape and swipe it's facade.
-It doesnt look like it's from the Rockford Files, or some otherwise brass and mesh monstrosity from the seventies.
-Hoping to find a cast iron mantle that measures 51"HX49"w to at least cover the open air.

I'm not sure where to go here. Any help would be appreciated. I'm als o certain that I could have been clearer. I'll attempt to attach photos or please ask questions.

Thanks again and in advance.

Link Fixer

cwWFVXdOz5_L8BeHa9IEofbaHC2YlQ-pNnyRRpLBJLw

Full Monty

O3Dk9DN8VhMQyCFCgs9TSfbaHC2YlQ-pNnyRRpLBJLw

The piece top center is a cinder block, the icy blue looking areas are open teat he rear of the box. Not sure why it looks that way.

Links to the pictures on PICASA.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cwWFVXdOz5_L8BeHa9IEofbaHC2YlQ-pNnyRRpLBJLw?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/O3Dk9DN8VhMQyCFCgs9TSfbaHC2YlQ-pNnyRRpLBJLw?feat=directlink

Attachments

• WP_000030 (1).jpg
    WP_000030 (1).jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 197
  • WP_000031 (1).jpg
    WP_000031 (1).jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 189
Awesome. The experts will be along soon, I am sure.

What type of a chimney does it have?

I'm thinking extend the hearth area, and park a wood stove on the pad, and up & put the chimney. How many square feet, house layout, etc?

Welcome to the forums !!

I thought of that too. I thought of maybe pulling the whole fandango out and stoning all surfaces, including the inside and parking a monster stove in there. It really appears to me that I would be very hard pressed to remove this inert. Me, a cold chisel and a sledge for several hours. Who knows what I'd end up with. Might very well be a "load bearing insert" at this point.

I live in a +/- 3500sqft A-Frame. It was cleverly equipped with baseboard heating, and until I replace it with some form of central heating, this hearth has been my saving grace. Before I figured it out my electric bills were $900 last year, horrible. Lots of new insulation, caulk, windows, storm doors, managed concepts of what "being cold" is, I've got it under control.

I've figured out the picture action here. I've posted a pic of the house and the boobytrap that was the fireplace before it was demolished.

Attachments

• front house.jpg
    front house.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 159
  • fireplace (1).jpg
    fireplace (1).jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 170
Can you put a wood stove some where else, and deal with this later?

Sharp looking house.

I will never complain about having to walk on my roof to clean the chimney again. :ahhh:

I have a wood stove in the basement and it does okay. My wife will *not* have this sitting in the living room untouched for too long. All things considered it is now fully functional and safe to use as far as I can tell. Certainly safer than before. I would love to just identify it and get it squared away.

So I've made a new discovery. It's hard to see, but there is a small opening in the lower left side of the fireplace. On initial inspection it appeared to just open to the insert itself. I expected it to be a passive vent that just let heat out toward the adjacent stairwell. On closer inspection the box is actually cut there and it looks like I blew some air in there it would come out of the three vents you see on the front. I think it would be a simple thing to contact whatever made this insert and get the parts I need to not only get it working but to make it pretty as well. I've attached another picture for reference.

Thanks!

Attachments

• WP_000042 (1).jpg
    WP_000042 (1).jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 89
Status
Not open for further replies.