Fireplace Booked for Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babzog

Oct 25, 2011
Eastern Ontario, Canada
At last, the fireplace (RSF Opel 3 zero-clearance) has arrived at our contractor's store and we are booked for installation beginning next Wed, the 14th. We cannot wait to finally have a warm space on the main floor!

The house is heated via geothermal but it's undersized for the house, which means the living rm and bedrooms (and bathrooms - cold after a shower!) are cold this time of year. I don't like being cold and neither does she so we pulled the trigger in early Nov and it's finally going to happen.

Unit will be installed in a corner of the living rm, not quite at a 45* angle (more like 15-20*). The long wall is going to be cut back 3' toward the corner, opening up the dining rm a good bit more. Some minor electrical to be moved and a room air intake will be sealed up.

The chimney should go straight up (unknown at this time if any jogs will be required to avoid a truss) and will exit nr the peak on the backyard side of the house. The fireplace itself will be raised off the floor as much as code will allow and will not have a hearth extension. Rather, it'll just go straight up from floor to ceiling. There will be tile on the floor in front as the non-combustible. To the right of the fireplace, will be a built-in wood cubby. Thought about just plonking down a wooden box but I think the wood cubby will look nicer.

The unit will be in and functional by the end of the week, but apparently there's a backorder on the stone finishing material and the mantle, so I don't know when it'll be finished... hopefully before Christmas.

A starter pic... the corner in question is occupied by the lamp. The 3' mark where the wall will be cut back to, is just above the exposed CD on the little cabinet. Pardon the mess... kids. I have NO idea where I'll put the couch now... there's really just no space for it in the living rm (long and narrow). Will have to see. Maybe ditch the recliner couch (can see a bit of it in the bottom of the pic) and go with recliner chairs.

Attachments

• teaser.jpg
    teaser.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 204
Good luck and congratulations. I hope you have some dry wood.

Good luck.
Looking forward to the install pictures :)

+1 with BWS, dry wood is key.

Oh yeah, wood is dry. Not 2+ years ahead dry, but CSS last winter + early spring, mostly black locust and hard maple. Love that black locust... burn times in the basement stove are incredible. Wife asked me last night if I worked from home yesterday since, 12 hours after I stoked it up and left for work, when she reloaded in the evening, there were big chunks of hot coals in the firebox. She loaded a few splits and off it went.

Got a message today, install start date moved up to Tues! Woohoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.