Fireplace Insert ID & Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper0023

Dec 4, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding a fireplace insert that came with the house. Sorry if I sound like a newbie.

First can anyone ID the manufacturer or model of the insert? Please don't mind the Christmas decorations

154dhme.jpg

The reason why I am asking this is because I want to find instructions on how to operate it.

When we first got the house we ordered a 1/2 cord of wood one winter and it really didn't get all that hot and it burned miserable. We would also have to keep the door completely open or the fire would smother.

I suspect the crappy burning problem was due to the wood not being seasoned enough and the smothering problem was caused by the damper ( I hope I am giving it is proper name) not being open and shut the way it is supposed to.

If anyone can give me a clue of how to build a decent fire in this thing it would be much appreciated because I plan to use this again and I have a cord of Kiln dried wood coming this weekend.

Also I have another quick question:

2u3y4w7.jpg

As you can see in this picture it says inspect every two months. Does this mean to give it a visual inspection to make sure everything looks good? We got the chimney swept out after we burned the 1/2 cord and they said with the iron inserts you can get it cleaned every other year instead of every year. Is that true?

Thanks a bunch,

Ken

Hi Ken, welcome to the forums, neighbor :)

Hang tight, help is on the way.

There should be a name on the insert, somewhere.

The spirally door handle makes me think Englander, but I could be totally wrong (not a stove efficiando, yet) .

Where are you, Nassau, Suffolk, East End?

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

The spirally door handle makes me think Englander, but I could be totally wrong (not a stove efficiando, yet) .

My door has a spirally handle. Lots of brands do. :)

That wooden mantle setup looks very close to that stove. I would definitely not burn in it till I located a manual and checked the listed clearance to combustibles.

Thanks, I'm from western Suffolk.

I looked everywhere - outside, inside, even on the power chord and I can not find any branding whatsoever.

Kingquad: When the fire is going all of those decorations and such will be moved to a safer location, don't want any accidents happening.

kingquad said:

My door has a spirally handle. Lots of brands do. :)

That wooden mantle setup looks very close to that stove. I would definitely not burn in it till I located a manual and checked the listed clearance to combustibles.

I'm fully aware of the spiral handle issue amongst other stoves, thank you.

Just trying to help the OP out.

Actually the handles helped clue me in when researching my stove. whether it a left or right handle, the position when closed, the length. Makers change a lot of things on stoves but the handles seem to be a pretty good constant, as does theshap of the glass.

It will have a permanent ID tag attached. Pop the shroud off and look around with a flashlight. Usually an aluminum placard attached with somewhere around the bottom.

Did you ever happen to discover who manufactured this insert? I managed to purchase the same one for my fireplace in Minnesota about 3 years ago and can't find any identifying marks either.

He hasn't been back since 2012. Not much chance of an answer.

He hasn't been back since 2012. Not much chance of an answer.

I realize. I'm hoping the username is still registered to a valid email address. I've been desperate to find out who makes mine for years and this is the first time I've found someone with the exact same pictures. It would be really nice to have some specs, find out where to order a replacement blower, etc.

Use the "conversation" function at top right of the page. That sends the member an email alert.

Status
Not open for further replies.