fireplace insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_376

Burning Hunk
Feb 14, 2012
central Ct
I have been looking at new adding an insert to cut down on the oil bill so I have a few questions. I tried searching but couldn't find the answers I was looking for, if there is an existing thread please point me in that direction. I have a 2700 sq ft colonial in CT with a fireplace on the exterior wall. It has an opening of 32 W 24.5 H and 22 D I can make it 3" wider by cutting some of the brick that is overlapping the firebox. I would like some input on which insert will fit. I looked at an Avalon Olympic and the dealer said he could install it and hook it up no problem with a 6" SS liner. I think it may be a little undersized but didn't know if I would be able to install a larger insert like the PE summit. How would I hook up the liner to the outlet on the stove? What is the maximum dimension for the insert to hook up in the fireplace.

The Avalon dealer said I didn't need to insulate the liner but I think it makes the mast sense to insulate it. I also mentioned a block off plate and he also said it was unnecessary. What is the best way/cheapest way to insulate the chimney and block off plate.

When I got to sweep the liner do I need to pull out the stove or is there another option?

PS I will be installing the insert and liner myself.

It sounds might have enough room to squeak in the Summit, but that will depend on the taper (vert. and horiz.) of the firebox at the back. Here's the minimum dimensions for the Summit. Download the manual and verify that clearances to combustibles are also ok. Definitely insulate the liner or install one that is preinsulated. The cheap way to block off the damper area is to pack it with mineral (Roxul) or ceramic (Kaowool) insulation. A better way to block it off is with an insulated metal block off plate. Here's more info on that.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Why_damper_seal_is_needed/

Attachments

• Summit insert.jpg
    Summit insert.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 428
  • Summit2.jpg
    Summit2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 380
Funny how a few hours can change your plans entirely. I went to another stove shop to check out the Summit and while I was there looking at different inserts an older gentleman comes in to get some pellets for his stove. Long story short, he got tired of loading wood 3 or 4 times a day and switch out a Avalon 796 insert to a pellet stove. He had the 796 stored in his shed in case he decided he didn't like pellets, He said he wasn't planning on going back to wood and if i wanted it he would sell it cheap. The 796 is smaller than I wanted but for the price I couldn't say no. I figure I could resell it for 4 or 5 time what I paid. I am going to clean it up this afternoon, sand /wire brush and repaint it. I just finished reading the manual and realized that the ceramic insulation that goes above the firebricks is mostly missing, mice making nest. Is that the same insulation as Kaowool and how thick should it be?

The 796 is an older model that not many are familiar with. Is this a predecessor to the Rainier?

I am not familiar with the insert you just bought but BeGreen is telling you right. Do insulate the liner to help keep it warm (less creosote) and block off to keep the heat down in the house. I just did both this year with my older insert and it made a world of difference.

I would clean it up, get all the parts necessary, sell it and buy the Summit, the Summit really throws some heat and you have a good size house.

Status
Not open for further replies.