Fireplace Insert...no fireplace!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroom Man

Sep 6, 2008
Eastern Ontario
We bought the house 3 years ago and were not careful enough about the fireplace insert. We used the insert heavily for one season. The next season I bought a EKO 60 gasser to heat house and barn. A pro installed the chimney and commented that the fireplace insert was the worst fire hazard he has seen in 30 years.

As it turns out, the Home Inspector and I had missed the fact that the fireplace insert was not installed in a fireplace. It is installed in a wall. It has a nice double wall stainless steel chimney, draws well, works great and looks good. I do not need the heat with the gasser but it bugs me that the nice fireplace doesn't work. The insurance inspector who inspected the gasser install also told me to avoid using the fireplace if I want insurance.

Both the insurance inspector and the chimney installer suggested I put in a free standing EPA certified woodstove. I know that would not work for us because the gasser is below the family room in the garage and the heat from it keeps the family room toasty. A wood stove would drive us out (too hot).

I am thinking about lining the space where the insert resides to create a safe fireplace. I do not however know what kinds of materials would be appropriate or how this could be crafted. This would be a DIY project as I cannot afford large sums for the project and it is a bit hard to justify, as it is not for heat, but simply for aesthetics and who knows maybe resale someday.

I am going to call the insurance inspector for his view but thought I'd get some ideas here first.

It sounds like the pros are giving you good advice. The insert is being used off-label and most likely will not qualify for a safe installation because the manufacturer never tested it for this circumstance.

Moved the thread to the hearth room so that you can get more eyeballs and responses. If you can post some pictures so that we see what they see it would help for future guidance. What is the make and model of the insert?

Id sell the insert and try to find an epa certified fireplace that will use the same size/brand class A chimney that you have installed

Franks said:
Id sell the insert and try to find an epa certified fireplace that will use the same size/brand class A chimney that you have installed

Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.