Fireplace Insert Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amarillodoc

Sep 24, 2009
Texas Panhandle
Hey, guys. I am in the process of having a Buck Stove fireplace insert installed. My fireplace is pre-fabricated with an 8 inch metal chimney pipe that is probably 20 feet or more long. The company that is selling and installing the insert says that it will cost ~$2500. However, because of the steepness of my roof and the length of the chimney, it would cost about $1000 to install a liner.

I live in the country, so there are no city code requirements. Is it really necessary to install a liner on my chimney? Would it really affect the air velocity or effectiveness of the insert enough to justify the cost of changing the chimney diameter from 8" to 6"? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. There is no masonry in my chimney.

Chances are that prefab flue does not carry the same UL listing as an approved Class A HT liner. It's all about safety. You're inviting fire into your home, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.