Fireplace Insert Screens

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedley

Aug 8, 2010
Canada
I am looking into buying either a Jotul Rockland 550 or Vermont Casting Montpelier. I would like to have modest open door fires (just for the atmosphere) in the fall when intense heat is unnecessary. I am trying to find a screen that would easliy snap into the opening. Any ideas or sources would be greatly appreciated.

These models are not designed to be run with the doors open. Running with open doors can damage the unit.

From the Jotul Rockland manual:

OPERATE THIS FIREPLACE INSERT ONLY WITH THE FRONT DOOR FULLY CLOSED. OPERATION WITH A PARTIALLY
OPENED DOOR MAY RESULT IN OVER-FIRING. ALSO, IF THE DOOR IS LEFT PARTLY OPEN, GAS AND FLAME MAY BE
DRAWN OUT OF THE STOVE OPENING, CREATING RISKS FROM BOTH FIRE AND SMOKE.

FWIW, screens on stoves and inserts are way over-rated. Folks end up using them for soil sifters in the garden.

But if you have to have a screen, the Pacific Energy Summit and the Hearthstone Clydesdale do have an accessory screen option.

Gentle Giant,

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning on building a large fire with the door open. As i said just a small fire for the atmosphere. I am in Ontario Canada and fall temperatures in the fall could be 50 degrees F in the evening. I am afraid if I build a closed door fire that the heat may be too intense. I would hope that a small fire wouldn't damage the unit. And I agree you would need to ensure that you had a good draw make sure that the smoke and gases where going up the chimney.

If open fire burning with a screen is a must have, take a look at the alternative units mentioned above. It's not an option on either the VC or Jotul insert. Doing so will void the warranty.

That said, I wouldn't worry about overheating the place with a small fire with the doors closed. It takes a little while to warm up the stove and surrounding fireplace. We have a big stove and sometimes burn a small, chill chasing fire in the fall when it is around 50 using 3 medium splits. Under these conditions, the living room normally doesn't get over about 72-74 and the heat migrates throughout the house keeping other rooms around 70. If the LR starts feeling too warm, we crack open a window.

FYI - The Montpelier and Jotul Rockland are two different sized inserts. The Jotul C450 is closer in size to the Montpelier. What is the size of the room where the fireplace is located? If the insert is going to be used to heat more than just this room, how large is the total space to be heated?

How about that. I looked up the Hampton HI300 but not the Regency. Surprised to see that the Hampton does not offer the screen, but Regency does. Aren't these the same inserts at heart?

Yep, the dealer sold the screens as interchangeable. I wondered if the cast enamal will take the fast heat up with a screen so opted to pass on it. I just use the big ole window!!!

I know that there are inserts and freestanders sold with the screen option...I just don't get it. Burning with the door wide open negates pretty much everything about combustion airflow that's been so carefully designed and built into the stoves for clean burning and efficiency. I wouldn't order an optional screen if offered, and if it came standard, I'd never use it...if I couldn't think of some other use for it, it'd go to the metal recycle dumpster at the landfill. But, hey, there must be a market for them, or they wouldn't be available at all. Rick

Gentle Giant,

Thanks again for your reply. I am so glad I found this forum.

We have an existing fireplace with an 18" hearth and I dismissed units that projected beyond the face of the fireplace for code reasons. Maybe that was a poor elimination factor. We could remedy that shortcoming although I haven't got my mind around an aestheticly pleasing solution. I belive the PE unit does project into the room. I just looked at the Heartland on their website and can't determine from the photographs whether it is flush or not. I does seem like a nice unit I haven't seen before.

Our home is of two vintages. The original home house was built in 1855 and largely renovated in 1980 (but certainly not to modern R standards) is approximately 1900 sq. ft. We built a family room extension to the rear of the house in 1980. It is fully finished up and down and open to below 500 sq. ft per floor. The existing fireplace is the typical steel heatilator type with glass doors the opening being 36" x 24" x 24". The fireplace is on the main level of the extension which is glass on three walls and faces northwest. I take full credit for the intelligence of the design (dripping sarcasm). We can make the room cozy by having a blazing fire but in January and February it is stone cold in the morning.

I have been in many cottages and older farm houses that are heated with wood. One of my first concerns was simply being to hot in the room the appliance is located in. The owner of the store that i have been talking to thinks that i will be ablte to adjust the performance of either stove to accomodate the local environment. The thought being that the larger Jotul would provide for a longer burn.

I am familiar with the VC and Jotul brands less so with the PE or Heartland. Do you have an opinion on quality. Maybe the open burn (fireplace screen) is just a silly notion and something that I will never do.

This is a big step for us. I would like performance and comfort while retaining some aesthetics. My wilfe is a romantic. The sounds and smells are important.

I recognize the VC and Jotul brand. I am less familiar with the PE and Hearthland. We would appreciate a design that is not overly traditional (clean lines) but still having a quality look and feel. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Pacific Energy is a Canadian stove company from BC. They make stoves of high-quality and low maintenance. Hearthstone stoves are also high quality. The company is better known for it's soapstone stoves, but the Clydesdale insert has a good reputation and is well built. It has a picture window fire view.

All of the stoves you are looking at have good reputations. The VC Montpelier is the newcomer and still establishing itself. We all hope it will be a winner and early reports seem to confirm this. However, if you have a local dealer with a good reputation that recommends the Jotul, then I would go for it. The Rockland is a fine insert and a serious heater. Your wife will love the look and as soon as the chilly room is warm, she will be sold on its value. Don't worry about the screen, they really are an over-rated accessory.

Hope you have a lot of wood already stacked for winter. A big stove is going to chew through it when it gets cold. These inserts really perform best when the wood is nice and dry. So get it now if you don't have several cords already stacked.

Gentle Giant,

I am going to take your advice and order the Jotul. I believe I have read somewhere that the blowers can not be hardwared. Is that true? And if so can a receptacle be intalled somewhere in the masonry firebox.

Thank you for all your time and advice.

Hedley: I used to think that having a screen for open fires was important. It isn't. Fact is that the fire is much nicer to watch with the doors closed because of the secondary combustion. You live in Ontario. so 98% of your fires will be with the doors closed - for heat. If you don't run the fan, you hardly get any heat out of the unit anyhow...plus you can open a window. That is how I handle the transition period.
Also, with your 18" hearth,you are likely to need an extension whether you get a flush mount or one that sticks out a few inches. I have a Montpelier which is a "flush mount" but it sticks out about 2 inches which is just enough to reduce my hearth to 16 inches, which doesn't meet code. Suggest you focus on the best heater that meets your aesthetic requirements.

Hedley said:
Gentle Giant,

I am going to take your advice and order the Jotul. I believe I have read somewhere that the blowers can not be hardwared. Is that true? And if so can a receptacle be intalled somewhere in the masonry firebox.

Thank you for all your time and advice.

My stove is the gentle giant. I am definitely no giant and sometimes not so gentle. :) Hope you like the Jotul. It's a good heater and looks very nice.

The cord wiring is a subject of safety and debate. Most folks end up routing it discretely along the back hearth edge. I prefer that. It allows easy access when it needs to be unplugged and doesn't expose the cord to heat which can harden the insulation over time. The cord can be hidden by the fireplace tools, a kindling container or other items in front of it.

BeGreen said:
How about that. I looked up the Hampton HI300 but not the Regency. Surprised to see that the Hampton does not offer the screen, but Regency does. Aren't these the same inserts at heart?

The medium Regency is the same fire box as the Hampton, but the door is a different shape.
Also, the Hampton door doesn't lift off the hinge pins as readily & doesn't swing open a full 180 degrees.
My guess is that those differences are the reason for not having a screen option for the HI300...

Status
Not open for further replies.