Fireplace insert - Should I buy a vent free or vented for buring wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gabuilder

Jan 29, 2011
Lawrenceville, GA
The fireplace insert I have now is about 20 years old. Originally it was set up for gas. The chimney is not brick. About 10 years ago I began burning wood. I didn’t have any problems and the smoke vented up the stainless steel vertical pipe okay. A few weeks ago I noticed that the mortar boards at the back of the insert were cracked. I tried to fill in the cracks with mortar cement but the cracks reappeared. I would like to replace the fireplace insert. I was looking at Heatilator wood burning fireplaces. If I have my local fireplace expert install one do I have to completely remove the old insert? Do the installers need to replace the vertical vent pipe from floor to roof? Can I burn wood in a vent-free fireplace insert? What is the advantage in installing a blower? Any local codes I should be aware of? I live in Georgia. Please help. Thank you.

From the level of your hearth knowledge (based on your questions) I would be directing this project towards your local fireplace shop and get advice from them. Be picky, talk to a few and go with one that has a good BBB rating, solid referals and NFI Certified technicians.

Your burning wood in a gas fireplace. Definite nono, and not safe at all. That set up was never meant to withstand the heat of wood burning.
2 completely different beasts. Do lots of research, LOTS. And be informed before spending a dime.
Good luck & welcome to the hearth.

Egads . . . if I'm reading this right . . . and it sounds as though Hog and I are on the same page . . . the OP is using a gas fireplace as a wood fireplace . . . which is as Hog mentioned generally not a good idea or safe. I would most definitely do more research on this. . . .

Like others have said, all wood fireplaces are vented - that is, the exhaust goes through a flue out of the house. I'd find a stove shop or reputable chimney sweep/installer to anwser your question about replacing the existing stove pipe. What is the advantage of a blower? An insert is partially surrounded by the fireplace so the heat from the hot firebox can't get into the room as well as heat from a free-standing stove. The fan helps move the heat by moving hot air into the room.

If you're getting a new insert it is going to be a lot different than the old gas insert you have been using. I'd get some firewood now for next winter so that you have nice, dry wood. New inserts and wood stoves work great, but they require well seasoned firewood. Once you get the hang of using the new insert I think you'll get a lot more heat out of the wood you burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.