Fireplace Insert size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo

Aug 4, 2009
Mpls, Mn.
Hi I live in Mpls Mn. I am planning on putting a wood burning insert in my masonary fireplace that is in the basement in a 300 sq, ft. family room. There is a total of 1000 sq. ft in the basement and 1000 sq ft. on the 1st floor. The size of the fireplace is 35W x23.5H x22.5D. with only a 2" hearth sticking out of the fireplac so I need a flush insert. I will be using it for enjoyment and also for supplemental heat. There is an open stairway from the area in the basement where the insert will be to the 1st floor. My main problem is that I have about 8 years of wood cut, but it was cut with the old fire place dimensions in mind so the wood is mostly about 20 inches long. I know with the size of the room and the size of the house that I do not need a large insert. What I need is a large fire box. I have been looking at the Lopi Freedom and Declaration, the Jotul C 450 Kennebec. They all have larger fire boxes and appear to be good inserts.
My question is could I run these stoves hot enough so they have a nice clean burn by just putting in smaller loads, and give them a bit more air, and still not cook us out of a 300 sq ft room??? Or do you have any thoughts on another insert that you feel I should look into??????

Milo said:
Hi I live in Mpls Mn. I am planning on putting a wood burning insert in my masonary fireplace that is in the basement in a 300 sq, ft. family room. There is a total of 1000 sq. ft in the basement and 1000 sq ft. on the 1st floor. The size of the fireplace is 35W x23.5H x22.5D. with only a 2" hearth sticking out of the fireplac so I need a flush insert. I will be using it for enjoyment and also for supplemental heat. There is an open stairway from the area in the basement where the insert will be to the 1st floor. My main problem is that I have about 8 years of wood cut, but it was cut with the old fire place dimensions in mind so the wood is mostly about 20 inches long. I know with the size of the room and the size of the house that I do not need a large insert. What I need is a large fire box. I have been looking at the Lopi Freedom and Declaration, the Jotul C 450 Kennebec. They all have larger fire boxes and appear to be good inserts.
My question is could I run these stoves hot enough so they have a nice clean burn by just putting in smaller loads, and give them a bit more air, and still not cook us out of a 300 sq ft room??? Or do you have any thoughts on another insert that you feel I should look into??????

You can always run a bigger stove with less wood for less heat, but you can't run a smaller stove with more wood for additional heat beyond its capacity. Many will tell you to get the biggest box so when you need it, you have it.

If you only have a 2" hearth, you will need to extend it. Most stoves require 16" to 18" inches of extended hearth measured from the glass door on the stove. If your hearth is raised, you may be able to get away with a non combustible material (like a slate stone or prefab hearth extension) for the hearth extension. Each stove has its requirement's for hearths.

The hearth will need to be extended regardless. I wouldn't stick to just flush inserts. The Jotul C450 should work over a fairly wide range of temps. The temp can be also regulated by the type of wood, the quantity burned and the frequency of refilling. Often in fall and spring we do a short morning fire and then an evening fire. Steady burning doesn't usually start until the temps drop into the low 40s.

Question, is the basement well sealed and insulated?

Thanks,for the help and the reply. The basement is well insulated and sealed. I heat with natural gas & have a gas dryer and hot water heater and I have never spent over $800.00 a year for gas, so the house is well insulated. The hearth only sticks out 2" but I have stone on the floor that goes out 2 feet and is 5 feet wide centered on the center of the fireplace, I am told that I do not need to extend the heart, as long as I get a pretty flush unit. Milo

Pictures tell a thousand words. Post a pic of the fireplace and perhaps a drawn floor plan so we can give you tips on the expected outcome. I didn't know you had a stone floor around the fireplace. So in that case, no need to extend the hearth as long as the entire stove surface sitting on the hearth. You mentioned the C 450 might work. I don't think it will as the front of the stove from what I remember sticks out.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I will take another look at the Jotul c450 to see what sticks out on the hearth. I thought it was just the fan schroud. I do not have the knowledge and or capability to be able to post pictures, etc. I'll try to explain it better. The house is a 1000 sq.ft. rambler, with a basement that is also 1000 sq.ft. The fireplace sits right in the middle of the house, and has a see thru fireplace on the 1st floor which we never use and a smaller fireplace in the basement, which is the one that I want to put an insert in. The fireplace that I want to put the insert in is in the family room in the basement. The basement has a wall down the middle of it, 500 sq ft on each side so 1/2 of the basement is utility area and the 1/2 where the fireplace is contains a bedroom, bathroom, and the family room. The basement has a 7 foot ceiling. There is an open stairway to the upstairs from the room where the insert will be, so heat should travel up the stairwell. I will restate the situation and question. I would really prefer a large firebox as I have about 8 years of wood cut that is about 20 inches long. My concern is that with the larger firebox, the stove might tend to cook us out of the room. If I was to choke down the air supply wouldn't I have an inefficent 2nd burn, smoke the glass, and send crosote up the liner?? Can I run the stove pretty hard so I get a good second burn and just put smaller loads of wood in it?? Thanks for your help. Milo

Status
Not open for further replies.